Wednesday 4 July 2012

Love...And Other Dreams! A Sequel to Lions Roar, They Don't Mumble!

Here's a little story following the lives of Danny O'Hara and Ruby McDonald, two sims from a previous story I wrote last year called Lions Roar, They Don't Mumble!. Click on that link to read the original story if you haven't already! Anyway hope you enjoy it...

CHAPTER ONE: AN UNWELCOME VISITOR!

 Danny O'Hara stood in front of the small home he had just purchased and smiled. His life couldn't get any better than this! He'd just turned forty, fallen in love and moved to Lucky Palms! His dream of living by the beach and being with Ruby McDonald was becoming a reality!

 "Oh Danny! It's...adorable!" Ruby squealed as he held her by the waist, he'd done good, she was happy! Since that night on the beach 4 months ago he and Ruby had begun dating. So far she was still with him and not bored like he thought she would be. In fact their relationship was getting stronger by the day. He was nervous and excited at the prospect of them living together, his mother had allowed Ruby to quit as their cleaner as soon as Danny had found this home!

 There was a lot of work to be done, re-decorating and extension work, but they were going to do it together! As Danny looked into Ruby's dark blue eyes his heart fluttered like it always did when he looked her in the eyes. His love for her had grown, and he still got that tingly feeling when she was around, when she touched him...

 ...when they kissed! He never imagined that she could feel the same, back when his mother told him that Ruby could never love him because she was all the things he wasn't...he believed her! Until that night on the beach, they'd touched for the first time and talked for hours. When Danny walked her home to her little apartment, he decided there and then that they would have their own home, and she wouldn't have to clean any more! Ruby's dream of becoming an artist and interior designer was going to happen and Danny would make sure of that!

 In fact, Danny had so many plans for them that he could no longer keep them to himself! He leaned in towards her as she giggled like an excited child, "I wanna tell you something!"
"Oh yes?" 
"Yeah!"

 "I want you to wear your prettiest dress tonight and meet me out on the front deck!"
"Oooh, sounds like...fun!" she giggled again as the doorbell rang making them both jump!

Danny frowned and made a tutting sound, he really didn't want to share Ruby right now! "Leave it!" he whispered as she gave him that look that meant he was being a dork again!
"Danny I have to get it! It might be the neighbours coming to welcome us!"

 Martha O'Hara looked up at the little house on the pier with disgust! This was what her son had bought with his inheritance? They had only moved to Lucky Palms a few days ago and were given the keys to their new home that very day, but Martha had to see they were settling in okay!

 As she rang the doorbell, she was relieved to see Ruby's smiling face appear at the door. She looked well, it had only been four days, but she looked well! "Hello Mrs O'Hara!" she greeted her with a hint of concern in her voice.
"Ruby! Thank God! This place is like...a desert!"
"It is a desert Mrs O'Hara, it's Lucky Palms? It's next door to Vegas?"
"I'm convinced that taxi driver overcharged me my fare!"

 "So what do you think of the house?" Ruby's eyes darted all over Martha's face, waiting anxiously for an answer knowing she wasn't going to like it!
"This is a HUT Ruby! There are some lovely houses down the road there, what possessed Daniel to buy this...it's a HUT! That's what it is!"

 "Well Mrs O'Hara, we like it and that's all that matters!" She always could stand up to her, that's what Martha loved about that girl! That and she made Daniel so happy. 
"You're both mad girl, and how many times have I told you to call me Martha???"

 Ruby guided Martha into the "hut" they now called home as Danny looked completely terrified, he'd heard his mother's voice shout "HUT" twice, this was not going to end well! "Danny? Your mother's here!" Ruby exclaimed, trying to sound cheerful about it.
"Oh sh..." he began but was cut off by a familiar and shrill voice.
"DANIEL!"

 "DANIEL! Oh this will not do, what is the meaning of this? You told me you were off to buy a house not a garden shed!" Martha bellowed as she entered the house.
"Hello mother, how nice of you to stop by, and thanks for telling us you were coming!"
"If I'd told you I was coming you'd have disappeared or hidden in the basement until I went away!"
"Exactly!" Danny sighed and got a steely glare for his troubles.

 Martha wasted no time and began barking orders at her son just like she used to, "We'll go to the estate agents right now and tell them you're not sure about this place! I saw some lovely little houses near the wind farm, oh Daniel they're gorgeous!"
"Mother we're happy here!" Ruby smiled as Danny stood up to his mother, she'd been teaching him how to be assertive and it seemed to be paying off...

 "Daniel do not be so stubborn, you made a mistake! It happens my darling, now wouldn't you and Ruby here be happier in a bigger place where you can have a nursery? You know for babies?"
"Oh, right, thanks for clarifying that mother I thought for a minute there you wanted us to breed Howler Monkeys and sell them to the Science Facility!" Danny laughed dryly and rolled his eyes.

 Martha eyed her son up and down in confusion, "What are you talking about monkeys??? Of course I want to have grandbabies! Monkeys Daniel? Enough of this nonsense and go get my bags from the deck out front!"
"B-bags?" Danny gulped and widened his eyes in horror.
"Yes Daniel, BAGS!" Martha repeated in her usual scarily shrill tone.

 As Daniel tried to make an excuse, Ruby burst out laughing, "Hahaha! She's not...is she moving in???" she giggled hysterically.
"No silly girl, I'm just visiting! Daniel? MY BAGS???"
"But mother there's no room, we only have the upstairs bedroom!"

"That will do I suppose!" she wrinkled up her nose and shut her eyes with disdain,
 "Mother! I'm sorry we can't put you up!"
"Oh my God, this is really happening!" Ruby's laughter turned to frustration as Danny's excuses fell on deaf ears and he went out to collect Martha's bags.

 "So this is your room, bathroom is in there..."
"Daniel?"
"Yes mother?"
"It's...GREEN!!!"

 Danny was too tired to argue with Martha, her bags had turned out to be four suitcases, a hat box and three briefcases full of golly knows what! He'd left Ruby in the basement setting up a makeshift bed for them while Martha got comfy in their actual bed on their first night in their new home!

Ruby and Danny lay on a rug and bunch of pillows with two sleeping bags at their feet in the basement. Danny was furious with himself for not sending his mother away.
"I mean a hat box! Who brings a hat box to visit their son and daughter-in-law?"
"Danny? We're not married, we haven't even...you know!" Danny blushed and sat up, he rolled over and looked down at Ruby...

 "I'm sorry, I get ahead of myself! Would it be...forward of me to ask..."
"Yes Danny?"

 Ruby put her hand on Danny's face, entangling her fingers in his dark brown hair, "I think we should fix one of our problems right now, that's if...Ruby will you...shall we..." Danny couldn't get the words out but Ruby said it for him,
"Yes Danny, let's consummate our four month relationship already!"
"Even with my mother upstairs?"
"Especially with your mother upstairs!" Ruby laughed softly and pulled his face towards hers...

 It had been almost 9 weeks since Martha had turned up on Danny and Ruby's doorstep. He'd acquired a number of exotic pets and was learning all about them as part of his new hobby. He couldn't be a vet but he was going to be a fantastic pet owner!

 He had recently bought a parrot he'd named Andie! He loved watching him play with his ball and fly around the basement, which was still where he and Ruby slept!

He received several emails a week from his Uncle Bruce, Martha's brother. Apparently Martha had just up and left the company to go to Lucky Palms. Nobody knew why, Martha had always been dedicated to OHTN. As Danny sent another email to his uncle, Martha and Ruby were in the back room, the lounge, watching TV. It was almost time for him to go to work, he'd got a part-time job at the book store and he was loving it!

Ruby had found the past few weeks difficult. She and Danny were supposed to be starting their lives together...ALONE! But Ruby couldn't bring herself to ask Martha to leave. She was Danny's mother after all, she just didn't have the heart to do it! As they were watching their usual morning show, Ruby felt a little queasy, she had done every morning for a week or so now. "What's the matter? You've gone all pale girl!" Martha mumbled, a hint of concern in her voice.
"Nothing Mrs...Martha, I'm fine!"
"No you are not, you look ghastly!"

Ruby tried to stand up but the room was spinning, she placed her hands on her thighs and sat back down again. "I think you're pregnant lady!" Martha exclaimed rather matter-of-factly, as if this was just a minor detail.
"Oh no, I don't think..." Ruby began but couldn't finish her sentence as another wave of nausea came crashing over her...

...her face went a light green and she thought she was going to vomit right there on their new rug, Martha continued to watch the television as Ruby tried to contain herself...

...as she ran to the bathroom upstairs hoping she would make it in time, Martha called after her, "Don't you make a mess up there! We share that facility remember!"

Martha chuckled to herself happily, "Yep, I'm going to be a grandma!"

Ruby was back and forth to the bathroom most of the day. She was convinced that it was something she'd eaten as Martha insisted they order take-aways every night for the past two weeks. A dodgy taco, or maybe it was those prawns in the stir fry?

That afternoon as Danny returned from his stint in the book shop, Martha was still sitting in her night dress by the television. Wondering where Ruby was and why his mother was still not dressed, as Ruby often encouraged her to go out for a walk around town, he shrugged to himself and sat down next to her. He had a few questions and requests that she was not going to like! But he was a lion now, not a mouse, and he was going to roar once again!

"Mom? Where's Rubes?"
"She's very sick Daniel! Very very sick!"
"What did you do???"
"She's got a tummy upset dear, I didn't poison her if that's what you're getting at! How rude of you, I love that girl like she was my own daughter!"
"I don't mean to be rude mother, but how long are you planning on staying here? It's been two months at least already!"

"Well I think I will be needed in the coming months dear. And after that you'll need a babysitter and as this is yours and Ruby's first then I think you'll need my help! After all I raised you well enough didn't I?" Danny was puzzled at first, but then the penny dropped...a mixture of joy and utter despair were how he was feeling at that moment...were they EVER going to get rid of her now???

As Danny went to go find Ruby, she appeared in the doorway looking paler than usual. "Rubes?"
"Oh Danny!"
"What's wrong???"
"Your mother...she made me take a test and...Danny we're having a baby!!!"

"I know! I'm so happy I could just...but...my mother will never leave now!"
"Danny? I don't think I've ever said this before, so I just want you to know..."
"Ruby what? You're scarin' me!"

"...I love you Daniel O'Hara!" There it was, what he'd been dying to hear for months! He tried to act cool even though he wanted to grab her and kiss her right there!
"And you already know I love you! Are you happy about the baby?" Danny scanned Ruby's face, worried that she might not want to be tied down to him, she was only 22, nearly 23. Her whole life ahead of her!
"Ecstatic!" she beamed! Inside his head was singing, dancing and happiness, he was going to be a father!

Another three months went by and Martha was hunting for a decent house for Danny and Ruby. One that would have a nice big spare room no doubt. Danny wondered what was happening back home, why she never got in touch with the business to see how it was doing, check on their home back in Los Anegios! Something just didn't add up!

But Ruby was glowing! Pregnancy just brought out the beauty in her. Danny was besotted with his pregnant girlfriend, a tiny crush all those months ago had turned into complete adoration and love! He was still pinching himself, this was real! And he was happy!

Before Ruby got any bigger, Danny brought her out to the front deck where he had spread out and lit a few candles. He rubbed her little belly thinking about the child that they were going to have in a few months time. It brought a small tear to his eye! "You're getting rounder my darling!" he beamed.
"Hey! Cheeky!"
"I meant it as a compliment honey! You're a vision you know that?"
"Aww Danny you're so sweet!"
As they kissed by the water's edge, Danny's heart began to pound nervously as he realised it was time...

...his palms began to sweat but he kept a smile on his face even though inside he was a wreck! "Now, I have a little question I wanna ask you..." he bent down as Ruby's confused expression turned to realisation...

"Danny? What are you doing?"
"I was going to do this the night we moved in but...well you know what happened that night!"

As he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a little black box, Ruby squealed like a little girl on Christmas morning as he popped it open to reveal a big shiny diamond ring! "Ruby Anne McDonald, will you marry me?"

"YES Daniel Bruce O'Hara! I WILL!!!" she cried in excitement! As Danny placed the ring on her finger she giggled uncontrollably and whispered under her breath, "I can't believe it!"

She admired the ring on her finger as it sparkled in the moonlight! "Oh Danny!" she cried as Danny couldn't keep his eyes off of her, she was truly stunning! And she was all his!

"Danny I promise I'll make you happy, I will!" she squeezed him so tightly that he coughed and gasped for air a little, but he never wanted her to let him go!

"And I'll make you even happier! Oh Rubes, you're everything I've ever dreamed of! Thank you for making my dreams come true!"
"No thank you Danny! I know you're a little older, but I feel like you're the piece that fits to me. I feel whole!"

"So, a wedding in the summer or fall?" Danny smiled at her.
"I think we should marry before the baby is born don't you? Then we can concentrate on him or her when they come!"
"You're so smart you know that?"
"I just want you as my husband for a little while before you're daddy! Is that so wrong? To have you all to myself?"
"No..." Danny began...

 ...but his smile faded and he sighed, "There's only one little problem there Rubes..."

"...how are we gonna get rid of my mother???"

To Be Continued...

4 comments:

  1. Great to see Danny & ruby again :) but his mother makes me so cross I just want to tell her to butt out!! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know what you mean, but there is a good reason she followed them, and it's not to mother Danny! :o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked seeing them again! As for Danny's mother - well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally back from my vacation, as always I loved it. It's nice seeing the three of them again.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)