Friday 12 October 2012

Guild of Rejects: Episode Eight

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***
This episode is written in three ways: The story, Granny Sanders' diary, and Granny Sanders' notes to Amelia. The Diary is written like this (January 1st 1956 etc) and the notes are written like this (Dear Amelia etc) Okies? Right on with the chapter...


"I dreamed a dream in time gone by, when hope was high and life worth living, I dreamed that love would never die, I prayed that God would be forgiving...now life has killed the dream I dream!" (Les Miserables, I Dreamed A Dream)

Amelia Sanders took the final step and opened up the large box that had lay in the corner of her grandmother's room for as long as she could remember. In her will she had stipulated that the box belonged to Amelia, she was vaguely aware of it's contents as Granny Sanders had told her a little about them when she was fourteen, just after Jacob had gone to University. As she opened the box, several large diaries were stacked on their sides, the dates clearly written on their spines along with "Amelia Elizabeth Keller" in red ink, and a pile of papers held together with a single blue ribbon. On top of all these books and papers was an envelope entitled "Meely", her granny's nickname for her. As she opened it eagerly, her grandmother's subtle, yet distinctive perfume wafted from within the envelope. She always did that, just so that Amelia wouldn't feel homesick when she was at University herself. Her grandmother's unforgettable scent and her unique handwriting brought a tear to her eyes as she read...

"Hello my darling!"

"Well if you're reading this then it means I'm no longer with you. I've kept this box since I was 16 years old, it contains every diary I ever owned. Like I promised you a few years ago, they are yours now! They contain everything you need to know about me, your grandfather and your parents. And more importantly, the love of my life, Elijah Reid! He was taken from me so cruelly when I was young, and I guess I never truly believed he was dead because there was never a body to bury. Just an unmarked grave somewhere in a foreign land! So I give you my life in black and white, but please, my dearest Amelia, do not judge me! I was a young girl madly in love with a young boy who went to war and never came back. Your grandfather was my rebound guy, as you kids call it these days! I never really loved him, and I'm sorry to say it, but you need to know the truth, about Elijah and Vernon and how things could have been if Elijah never went to war. I suppose things happen for a reason, well, that's how I've accepted my life and the things that came with it. If I didn't I think I would have gone mad! Always remember that I love you and I do not regret you, or your mother! One last thing, if you fall in love and you know he is the one, grab onto him and never let him out of your sight! Love is a rare thing, true love I mean, and life is cruel! I've spent the past couple of months writing you letters, explaining why I said and did the things I did, let these be your guide and a warning...to NEVER make the same mistakes that I did...and to be HAPPY!
All my love, Granny Sanders xxx"


The first diary, when her grandmother was 17, was full of fun things that she got up to with the two boys in her life. Vernon Sanders, Amelia's grandfather, and a young farm hand named Elijah Reid. It seemed to be Elijah that her grandmother was "courting" at that time, by the tone of the diary and by the story she had told Amelia when she was a teenager. As she read through the 1941 diary, one thing stood out for her...

"January 5th 1941:
We went to the circus today, Vernon and Elijah knew how to sneak in without paying! Cassandra was reluctant to come with us, she's far too proper so I just told her to stay at home! What a stick-in-the-mud she is! Well it was a jolly good laugh without her! Elijah is trying desperately to pair Cassandra with Vernon, but I know my cousin, she's too involved with her dress making and baking to entertain a gentleman!"

As Amelia read all about her great-aunt Cassandra Keller, who never married, she could tell how much Elijah had cared for both her grandparents. Attached to the front of this particular diary was a letter...

"Meely,
When I was 17, Elijah Reid and myself were courting and had been for a few months. Your grandfather Vernon was his best friend. We had grown up together here in Hallam's Cove, attended school together and we were inseperable! When we vowed to be best friends forever, little did we know that Elijah would be torn from us by the evils of war! I never knew how Vernon felt about me, he and Elijah were like brothers, but when the telegram came through and we knew we'd never see Elijah again...we took comfort and solace in each other...at least something good came out of our terrible loss...your uncle and your mother!"


"We would try and steal moments with each other alone, but with Vernon it was difficult. We had been a threesome since childhood, and now when Elijah and I had fallen for each other, Vernon was like a third wheel, the gooseberry! One day Elijah grabbed hold of me and took me to our special tree out the back. He pulled me towards him and whispered to me that he had something to tell me. I was excited, young and in love! So I presumed it was a proposal. As you will read in the pages of this diary, that was not the case, and my heart began to crumble from that day onwards!"

"April 24th 1941:
Elijah took me into the garden, he had something to tell me! I was so excited but when he told me his news, I wanted to cry! He's been called up, he is to go to war! My Elijah is leaving me, Hallam's Cove and everything he knows to fight for our country! I will NOT let him go, they will not take him! I shall speak to father! I just found him, I just realised he's my missing puzzle piece...I won't lose him, not now!"

"Vernon could see I was upset, and he called to us. Elijah has requested that we keep this to ourselves for now, but Vernon must find out sooner or later, we made a vow! I received a peck on the lips, it made my body tingle, is this what love feels like?"

"May 3rd 1941:
Elijah is gone. He set off for Germany late last night. He came to say goodbye, looking dashing in his Air Force uniform! His beautiful brown hair shorn, and those eyes, they will stay with me and comfort me during the lonely nights praying for his safety! Vernon couldn't say goodbye, he found it too painful, his best friend leaving for war while he escaped the calling! I understand, now all we have is each other until my Elijah is returned to me."

"Meely,
When I said my last goodbye to the love of my life, it was a hard thing to do. He looked scared, but he kept cheery and upbeat for me. Even when he was terrified of fighting in the war, his first thought was to try and keep me calm, always putting me first! "I'll be fine!" he smiled to me and rubbed my arm affectionately."

"I remember the last time we touched, "Say you will marry me!" Elijah had asked, "Be mine and I will have something to fight for, to get home alive for!" he whispered as his breath tickled my cheek. I was so in love with him, your grandfather was my best friend! It was only ever Elijah for me! As we stood on my front porch, I could see the fear in his eyes, Vernon was flat footed and passed over for active duty, but Elijah...he was a fit and agile farm hand who would be an asset in the fight against the enemy! "Yes!" I heard myself murmur as his lips brushed mine..."Yes Elijah, I will be your wife...and you will come back to me!" But he never did..."

"I begged him not to go! My father had connections and he could write on Elijah's behalf to get him out of it, but he felt it was his duty to fight for his country and his loved ones! The last time I saw him was the evening he was to depart for Germany, standing on this very porch, he told me he loved me and that no one had ever touched his heart the way I had! "I will return, and you and I will be married! Vernon will be best man, your cousin Cassandra will be bridesmaid and we will have lots and lots of children! Knowing you are here waiting for me is what drives me, and it's what will get me home in one piece..." I looked up into his bright blue eyes and believed every word he said...and I'm sure he believed it too! If only he'd taken my father's offer, things may have been different! I still think about him, the scent of him, his soft lips touching mine, and the songs he would sing to me when we watched the stars together. We only ever kissed and cuddled, but we were closer than any human beings could ever be...we were soul mates!"

"Our first ever "proper" kiss was when we said our final farewell. It was the most magical thing I had ever experienced! To be told that someone loves you is a wonderful feeling, but to actually feel their love for you in a kiss...is phenomenal! I wish this for you Meely, I really do!"

"As I watched him walk out of my life, not knowing if he would return, my heart crumbled even more!"

"He walked down the path with his usual, confident stride. When he reached the pavement, he turned around and saluted before turning the corner and leaving me for good!"

"August 31st 1945:
As soon as Vernon received the phone call, he dressed as quickly as he could and raced over to my house. Even though it was 5am!! As I stood in the back garden by the special tree Vernon called out to me, he was breathless and rather shrill. He was telling me that my parents were worried sick as I'd left that afternoon and only just returned. It was the hardest thing I had ever had to do!"


"I confess I broke down, four years of not knowing! And now this! I could hear the panic in his voice, "What's happened Amelia?" he kept saying over and over..."

"...and in that moment, I told him..."

"...I told Vernon that Elijah was dead!"

"My head is a muddle, my heart is in tatters! I'm so utterly confused! After telling Vernon about Elijah, "Missing Presumed Dead" they call it, I fell into his arms and sobbed. Vernon was eerily calm, but mother says that shock will do that to a person."

"I don't know how to deal with what happened next! I am a terrible person, I have tainted the memory of my dead love! I've betrayed him, with his best friend!!!"

"Meely,
When I got the telegram informing me that Elijah would not be returning as the war was ending, Vernon was the first person I thought of to tell. When he comforted me, I felt warm for the first time in years! We'd been getting close over the time that Elijah was away, but I was in love with only one man, that never changed!"

"Vernon's actions that early morning were a surprise to both him and myself. But it was what sealed our future, your uncle was conceived that morning in the garden shed. Comfort, solace, call it what you will! But when I later discovered I was expecting Vernon's child, we had to marry! Elijah wasn't coming back, and there was another life about to begin!"

Reading what had happened during the 1940's to her grandparents, Amelia felt sorry for her grandfather. Granny Sanders had told her seven years before that Elijah Reid was her one true love, that granddad Sanders was second best. And now she was realising why, had her grandmother not fallen pregnant, would she ever have married her grandfather? Moving onto the 1950's, her grandparents' marriage was not a happy one, overshadowed by a man lost at war, a ten year old son they named after said man, and a hollow woman who found it difficult to love anyone.

"May 18th 1955:
It was Elijah's tenth birthday today. He asked for a train set, he of course received a train set! Vernon spoils the boy rotten, but he is very well mannered, we raised him that way. I regret the arguing that goes on in the house, it's not a very nice environment for a child to be in..."

"...but Vernon was at it again! Why can't I just love him? What makes Elijah Reid more of a man than him? Blah blah blah!!! He wanted to name our son Vernon Elijah, but because I insisted on Elijah James after our best friend and my father, I'm rubbing his nose in it? If he wants to leave, then why doesn't he? I can raise our son alone!"

"Meely,
Your grandfather was very needy, this you must understand! I had been dealt the most painful of blows, the loss of my fiance! On the day of our wedding, Vernon was upset and angry to learn that I was actually betrothed to Elijah on the night he went to war. I was four months pregnant, the rage in his eyes, I thought he was going to strike me! But instead he grabbed me by the arms and called me a "whore" with such vitriol that it rocked my very core. Our wedding night was strained, he wouldn't look at me never mind speak! I think that was when his insecurities began..."

"...and he was never happy with me after that. Discovering my pregnancy, proposing, he had been over the moon. But to find out I had promised myself to Elijah, he took that rather badly!"

"I was always afraid of your grandfather in a slight way. To call your wife a whore for accepting a proposal from the man she loved was extremely harsh. Vernon knew the score, Elijah and I had been courting! We were in love! Vernon always said "You don't know what I did for you! The sacrifices I have made, the lengths I have gone to to make sure we were happy! And for what???" Yes, I perhaps brought shame upon him and his family by falling pregnant with our son, but besides that I had no idea what he meant, maybe he meant he had betrayed the memory of his best friend by stealing his girl! All I know is that our marriage was a miserable existence, and your Uncle Elijah could not wait to leave!"

She was right, for as she opened up the diary of the 1960's it seemed that Elijah James Sanders left as soon as he could...

"Dec 20th 1966.
Elijah is home from university for a few days, he looks skinny but happy. He's met a girl, her name is Becky and she lives here in Hallam's Cove. We're going to meet her over Christmas. Vernon and I had another fight, luckily Elijah was there to distract Alice from our shouting this time. She's the sweetest yet most sensitive 4 year old. Vernon tells me that he can no longer compete with a dead man, that the past 22 years have been a lie! Elijah Reid's ghost is tearing our family apart he says...but he asks too much! I cannot forget my Elijah, and why should I? I was a fool to think another child would fix things, and to wait until our son left school! Alice gets lonely, I can tell. And there is nothing I can do to make her feel better! My own loneliness consumes me, I fear it will be the death of me!"


"I plan on having a nice family Christmas for her sake! Elijah has offered to dress up as Santa Clause and leave her presents by her bed, as she will not sleep on Christmas Eve! Elijah knows the drill, he had to endure our arguments when he was a child too!"

24th Dec 1966:
"Vernon says he can't take much more of this. Of what? I made my vows to him what more does he want? I cannot give him something that I gave away many years ago, he wants my heart, it is no longer mine to give! Elijah took it with him to his grave. I fear Vernon will leave me, and yet somehow I do not care!"


"Meely,
Your grandfather threatened to leave so many times over the years. That Christmas was particularly difficult because when we met Becky Peters, our son was madly in love with her and it reminded Vernon of Elijah and I! He told me that he should have let me go, that I was in love with a man long dead and that would never change! He was stupid to think that he could make me love him..."

"I wept in his arms that night, I wished that I could give him the love he so deserved and craved! He confessed that night to being in love with me since he was thirteen years of age, but I fell for his best friend."

"I asked him to give me one more chance, for Alice's sake! He agreed, but his words to me that night cut like a knife, "I cannot make you love me Amelia, I can only show you how much I love YOU!" I told him that I wanted to love him..."

"...I told him...I could try!"

But as the '60's ended and Amelia's mother Alice grew up, she realised her grandmother didn't try hard enough...

"February 16th 1974:
Alice came home from school today covered in blood as usual! She's been fighting again with that Jenny Wicks! Fighting over Mike Calhoun, an older boy at school with a motorbike! Her face was covered in cuts and bruises, all she could say was "I'm back!" after I got a phone call from the head teacher warning me that she is to be suspended if this happens again!"

"I told her I was tired of this constant fighting, and that she is NOT to see this Mike again, she is only fourteen!!! She was not pleased about this and gave me a lot of back chat!"

"This is what she said, "You're cold mother! You never go out since dad left! Even Elijah doesn't visit any more, and I'm stuck here with you feeling sorry for yourself! Did you ever stop to think about me???" The cheek of her!!!"

"I don't have the energy for this, She is just too much for me to handle, I'm seriously considering Boarding School! And I told her that!"

"Her reply? "That would just suit you wouldn't it, to not have to look at me! I know you hate me mother but to pack me off is just the lowest of the low!" Does she not realise what her delinquent behaviour is doing to me???"


"Meely,
I handled your mother's rebellion badly! She was lashing out for attention! Maybe if I'd given her the attention she needed, she'd never have been so besotted with your father Mike! But then I would never have had you in my life, my little Meely!"

"After that day, she ran out of the room in tears, she never spoke to me civilly again! She did get suspended and I did send her off to Boarding School! When she graduated, she seemed to be back on the straight and narrow..."

"...but then Mike Calhoun appeared back on the scene! The 1980's were tough, losing a true love was bad enough, but losing a child...there is no heartache like it!"

Sadness overwhelmed Amelia. Growing up she never knew of the strained relationship her mother and grandmother had. It was nothing like her own relationship with her grandmother, maybe she was her second chance! As she read through the 1980's, she learned more about her father, Mike. He was a drug dealer, a biker and all round bad egg. He got her mother Alice hooked on drugs, pregnant in 1987 with Jacob, he left her holding the baby but granny Sanders was there to help her. By 1990 Mike had re-appeared once again, and in 1992 Amelia was born. It seemed as though whenever Mike decided to appear, Alice dropped everything for him. Granny Sanders had managed to get her off of the drugs, but by 1994, she was completely dependent on the stuff!

June 21st 1994:
Alice is off with that Mike again! She was in a bad way today! I can tell she needs a fix, she's lost so much weight, I cook for her every day and she just won't eat! So I'm left to look after the kids again, Mike hasn't even seen them, he doesn't even come in and meet them! My beautiful grandchildren, Jacob is so like his mother, such a sensitive little boy, he cares very much for his little sister, my Meely!

"The sadness in little Jacob's eyes, "Why doesn't daddy want to see us granny?" it broke my heart when he asked me that! And what could I say? He is seven and Amelia is three, why has he not met his children??? Because he's an evil man who's destroyed my daughter!!!"

"All I said was, "He's very shy Jake! Give him time!" I wish my daughter could appreciate this wonderful boy and his gorgeous little sister! She loves her habit more than her babies! Her father is long gone, he never keeps in touch. He never met his grandchildren, I wrote to him a while back when Jacob was born. Nothing! He could be dead for all I know!"

"Meely,
Your mother was lost to me by this time, she was hooked and she stole from me to pay for her drugs! She dyed her hair black, flecks of red showing through, a tiny shadow of who she used to be. She'd done so well at Boarding School, she'd got a degree afterwards, she was going places! But that man always lured her away from reality. When she had your brother, she was so hurt he didn't want to know her son..."

"...but not hurt enough to turn her back on him! She didn't come back that night. I saw her again though, on a slab in the mortuary. Overdose. No sign of Mike Calhoun!"

"I remember her funeral like it was yesterday, the graveyard is just across the street, she is so near yet so far. I was looking out of the window a little while ago and I saw Nathan Thorne and his brother arguing at the graveyard where your mother is buried. Those boys are a piece of work. They had a rough time of it when their parents died, Patrick was a good friend of Alice's, as was Claire. I thought one day they might get together, but Mike always turned her head. Claire Ellis was a nice girl, Patrick Thorne often said that the two girls in his life were Claire and Alice. I was sad when the Thornes were killed, their boys are lovely but far too angry, especially Nathan! Jake was so fond of him, but he made sure to keep his distance, Nathan sure loves to court controversy! Which brings me to my last note. Do you remember the time I told you of Elijah and the big box with the padlock? The one you have opened right now?"

"August 9th 2005:
Today is the day, I cannot put it off any longer! I raised these kids since their mother died and their father did zip, so now that Jacob is off to University, Amelia must know! She can take it better than her brother..."

Yes, Amelia remembered!

Her grandmother had called her up to her bedroom to have a chat...

"I have a few things I need to tell you Meely!" she had announced while rocking in her chair and staring into space, "About your parents, and about me!"

Fourteen year old Amelia sat by her grandmother's side as she told her the story of her life, at least some of it!

"I was 17 years old when I fell in love, his name was Elijah Reid! That big trunk over there? It's yours when I die! But first I must tell you about Elijah..."

"...he was the most handsome young man you could ever meet! His presence lit up a room! He was slight but strong, brown hair and the bluest eyes! And I adored him! I wish you could have met him! He was a wonder to behold!"

Three nights after she had gone through her grandmother's diaries and notes, Elijah appeared at the graveside. She had waited there every night hoping he would appear, and on that third night, he did! "I was hoping you'd be here!" he said to her in his soft, whispery voice.
"I've waited here for you every night since Tuesday! I have some questions I'd like to ask you..."
"Of course, you want to know my connection to your grandmother, how I knew her. I did a bit of work around her house after you moved away. She was lonely and I gave her a friendly ear."
"You're a good liar!" Amelia muttered.

Elijah looked stunned and stepped back a few paces, "What do you mean? It's the truth!"
"I know who you are Elijah! I just don't understand how it's possible!"
"You've lost me!" he was not a good liar after all, the guilt clear on his face,
"Elijah Reid, you were born in 1924. How do you live today looking no older than 25?" a small smile formed on his soft and shiny lips, then it vanished as he realised he had to explain.

"I read her diaries! She was so in love with you, why didn't you tell her you were still alive?" Elijah snorted bitterly and replied,
"Alive? Is that what you think I am? You have a lot to learn!"
"Then tell me! Tell me how you're here standing in front of me, tell me how you look the same age as me when you should be like my grandmother, old and grey..." her speech was cut off as he spoke over her,
"...and DEAD?" all Amelia could do was stare at his pale face and wonder what on Earth was going on, it was obvious he was Elijah! As she scanned his features, she knew in her heart it was him! But her head was telling her that this could not be possible! As her head buzzed with all these questions Elijah spoke up once again, "Okay I shall tell you the truth, whether you believe me or not is entirely up to you!"

"I never made it to Germany! I never fought in the war! I was attacked on my way back from your grandmother's house that evening by a creature I thought was the Devil himself!"
"Who attacked you???"
"It was a vampire, and he had targeted me for a reason, it was not at random!"

 Amelia looked straight at him as he stared down at the ground, "What do you mean?"
"I mean..." he sighed, "...that I was set up! Someone wanted me dead, but unfortunately for them...I didn't die completely!"
"Who did this???"


Elijah then looked up and met her gaze, "Who indeed!"
"You mean you don't know?"
"Oh I know alright!" he laughed sadly, "And even to this day it chills me to the bone!"
"My grandmother is dead! And I need to know why you were taken from her! For my own peace of mind!"
"I cannot tell you the why, for I do not know that myself. Or at least I don't think I do!"


Tired of him talking in riddles she turned away from him, "My grandmother died thinking you were dead! You could of at least shown yourself!" Amelia sighed sadly, trying not to look in his eyes.
"I did Amelia! I told you that, she met me on several occasions. She knew what I was, I have an inkling that she knew WHO I was too! But she was old, and her mind was playing tricks, or so she thought! I loved your grandmother with all of my heart and my soul! I came back to see her many times, but she had married my best friend and had a child, your uncle who I know she named after me! She'd moved on with her life, thank goodness because I couldn't offer her any kind of real life, not like this! Then your mother was born many years later, I once asked her about that and she told me it was a last ditch attempt at making her marriage work, but instead it destroyed your mother. I wander this place alone because I will never die, and now she is gone...what would be the point of going back and claiming her as my own when Vernon had more to offer than a dead man could ever dream of? Or at least I thought he could offer her more, I was naive for many years, I've since come to learn the truth about a lot of things!"


"Elijah? Who was responsible for all of this? Please tell me?" Amelia bit her lip to stop it from trembling as he once again sighed and locked his blue eyes onto her green ones, the eyes she inherited from her grandmother.
"Very well, but you will not like the answer! It was someone I trusted with my life, and paid for it! It was Vernon Sanders...your grandfather!"

 Nathan Thorne had been watching Amelia Sanders for the past few days, as her brother had requested. He was shocked when the vampire appeared and they engaged in a deep conversation. And then the voice flooded his head, a soft female voice taking complete control of his body and his mind...


"Go on slayer, kill him! KILL THE VAMPIRE!!!"

To Be Continued...

3 comments:

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)