Saturday 4 May 2013

Love Drunk: Chapter Eight

Last time, Drew showed a side of him he rarely lets out, but under the circumstances it was justified. Now he finds that side of him appears more than he would like! Dexter has decided to take a huge step, but will it really be the best idea? And there's a strange gentleman in the diner...who could he be?

It was almost 9pm, Drew was busy at work, Ash was heading out and Dexter was striding towards the door with purpose and dressed that way too! "Hey kiddo!" Ash called to his brother, Dexter didn't respond but kept on walking.

"Hey!" Ash said again, this time he turned round and gave his older brother a fake smile.
"Hi!"
"Listen I've gotta go rescue one of Charlotte's felines from the tumble dryer so I'll be out for a while okay?"
"Sure bro, I'll see you later!" Dexter turned and headed for the door once more.

Ash was aware of Dexter's smart appearance and grabbed him before he walked out the door, "Hey kid where you going?" Dexter stopped in his tracks and sighed.
"I'm going down to the diner because it's almost closing time so I'm going to go down there and tell Lainie that I love her!" he declared in one breath, Ash could see his hands were trembling and his voice was shaky too.
"Okay, are you sure that's a good idea?"


"Yes, no time like the present to just come out with it and let her know how I feel before another Rob comes along and brings out the Mr Hyde in me again!" he forced a chuckle and looked down at his shoes.
"Dexter, this is a big step, you do know this could change everything?" Ash gave his brother a sympathetic look.
"Yes! I do!" Dexter replied flatly, almost robotic.


"Well good luck then little brother. I hope it all goes the way you want!" he patted Dexter on the arm and smiled. Dexter's shoulders dropped and his head fell.
"Thank you...I'm absolutely terrified!!!"



Drew was busy writing up plans for a new invention, but he couldn't help but hear the conversation between the two brothers. One part of the talk in particular hit a nerve with him, the part where Ash had been called over to rescue Charlotte's cat! It made him angry, hurt and sick at the same time, why didn't she call HIM??? After all, he thought they had become close lately!

The past couple of months were the best times in his entire adult life, because of Charlotte! It hurt so much to think that she couldn't pick up the phone and ask for his help, like she did when Jeremy stole her cats. She'd chosen Ashton over him! Obviously she meant more to him than he ever meant to her, his heart sank...and then the rage began to boil up inside him.

"...and so I took the dog to the vets and luckily he was micro-chipped so..."
"Oh goodness!"
"Yeah! Poor little thing, must have got lost during the thunderstorm and you know...so! How have you been?"

Lainie could hardly concentrate on anything, she just gazed into his amber eyes and smiled. Since the diner opened, this lovely young man had been delivering her meat and shared her love for cooking. But it was only in the past couple of days that Lainie had noticed how handsome and charming he really was!

Lainie had a crush! She didn't normally go for blondes but this one was a bit special! Since moving to Moonlight Falls, her daydreams and fantasies all starred the gorgeous Dexter Maloney from apartment twelve! But he was out of her reach; handsome, smart and artistic! Not to mention charismatic and extremely sexy! Although his temper did leave a lot to be desired! This calm, cool, friendly lump of manliness that sat before her just as she was about to close...he was just dreamy!

"Come on Dex! You can do this!" As the rain came down in sheets outside the diner, Dexter's little motivational speech wasn't quite working! He gave himself a mental shake and opened the door of the diner...

 He had a speech in his head, he knew what he was going to say. He was going to tell her straight and then take her in his arms and kiss her and...who was that guy??? "Hey Dexy!" Lainie mumbled sleepily as she swayed from side to side with a goofy grin on her freckled face. Dexter stopped in his tracks, surveyed the male sitting at the counter for a moment, then made his way over.

"Hey!" he mumbled back to Lainie, not taking his eyes off the man for a moment.
"So this is Dexter?" the man chuckled.
"Yeah!" Dex replied, "THIS is Dexter! Do I know you?"

Lainie let out a high pitched giggle, "Dexy, this is David Green. David, this is Dexter Maloney, my neighbour!" her NEIGHBOUR??? Dex felt like he'd been punched in the stomach, he couldn't find a breath, was that all he was to her???
"It's nice to meet you Dexter, I've heard so much about you and your paintings. Lainie says you're the most talented artist she's ever seen! She's really fond of you you know! And I can see why, you're...very lucky to have each other as friends. I can tell you're just as fond of her!" Dexter blushed, then realised this guy was actually...NICE! Ugh, how could he hate him if he was nice??? But then he thought about the Rob fiasco and how his jealousy had almost cost him everything!
"It's nice to meet you too, I just came to see if you needed any help closing up freckles, but you're safe here with David so..." Dex trailed off, turned around and strided out the door.

"Wow, that...was weird! Dexy can be so...well weird!" Lainie shook her head in confusion.
"He's protective of you!" David replied.
"I suppose!" Lainie, still unsure of the purpose of Dexter's visit, looked out the window at the dark figure slinking around the corner.

She turned around to look at the blank space on the wall, "Thank goodness he didn't notice his painting was missing!" she sighed with relief.

"I have to go, will you be okay to lock up?"
"Sure! Roxy's here so I'll be fine!"
"Well, there's this movie showing late tonight that I really want to see so...would you like to come with me? And then we can go to a club and have a couple of drinks and...too forward?" David bit his lip and frowned.

"No, no of course not! I'd love to! Just give me an hour or so to get ready and...I'll see you about 10-ish?"

David gave her a broad, relieved smile and laughed, "Sounds great, pick you up at your flat?"
"Yep!" Lainie smiled back. She had a date! With David the dreamy delivery guy!!!

"So you just said yes? Just like that?" Roxy huffed as she finished the last of the dishes.
"Yeah why not?"
"Er he's a strange guy!"
"No he isn't, he's just David!" Lainie sighed and giggled.

"If I stick this in the oven will you take it out for me in about half an hour?"

"Yeah why not?" Roxy replied gruffly, "It's not as if I have a date! Not like SOME PEOPLE!!!"
"Oh Roxanne, if you stopped letting Kev cramp your style then maybe you would get a date!" Lainie proceeded to prepare her bread for the morning.

"Well at least he shows some interest in me, not like any other guys around here! Like that Drew guy who lives with your precious Dexter!"
"He's not my precious Dexter Roxanne! He's just Dexy!" Roxy let out an exasperated grunt thinking of the men who were besotted with her best friend, some she didn't even know about, while Roxy did everything she could to get Drew Mitchell to notice her!!!

"You were always the popular one Lain! I was always the frump who got passed by!" she sniffed and tried not to cry.
"Oh Roxanne, if only you could see how beautiful you truly are, then maybe if you loved yourself others would follow by your example! Because I love you Rox, you're the most beautiful woman in this building!"
"Well, sometimes I feel like the invisible woman in this building!"

At the back of the building, Ashton Maloney was not saving a cat from a tumble dryer! Ashton Maloney was meeting with Erin again, unable to keep his hands...

...lips or anything off of her, he had to see her at least once a day or he went crazy!

Knowing that no one would find them there, he relaxed and kissed her until he felt dizzy!

"You changed your hair!" Ash exclaimed.
"Yes, you noticed!" Erin could hardly conceal the surprise in her voice.
"Of course I noticed, why wouldn't I?" Ash gave her a confused look and squeezed her waist playfully, "What kind of guy do you take me for?"


"The kind that runs out on a girl on a regular basis and doesn't want his friends or family to know about her!" she scolded him and he felt a stab of guilt in his chest. He did want his brother and best friend to know about her, he wanted the world to know. But he was afraid that as soon as he did tell them, she would be the one doing the running and would never come back...like Melissa!

"Is it wrong to want you all to myself for a little longer?" he batted his eyes at her and squeezed her tiny hands tightly.
"No, if that's what this is. But if you're too ashamed...then that's a whole different story and I won't wait forever to be accepted into your circle of friends Ashton!" the determination on her face made him realise that he might lose her anyway. So what was he to do?


"Look, I'm honoured that you trusted me enough to tell me about Melissa. But you need to learn that I'm not like that! When I say something, I mean it! When I say I'll be somewhere, I'll be there!"
"I know, please Erin, you just have to be patient with me! You're young and your heart is still pretty much untouched, my old withered ticker has taken some real battering!" he leaned in towards her and gave her a cheeky smile...

"I promise, someday we can shout it from the top of the hills! But right now I just want you to be mine!" he kissed her cheek tenderly as she laughed.
"You'd better Ashton Maloney, and I'll always be yours you silly silly boy. No matter who knows about us!!!"

Shortly after 10pm, Lainie answered her door rather too eagerly and over-dressed for seeing a movie! As soon as she opened the door, David waved a beautiful bouquet of flowers at her and shouted "Ta-da!"

"Oh David they're beautiful! I'll just go put them in water!" Lainie hurried inside and threw the flowers at Roxy who was sitting alone watching television.

When she stepped back out into the hall to join David, he looked her up and down with a broad grin, "You look beautiful!!!"
"Aww thank you..." Lainie suddenly stopped what she was saying, aware of someone watching them.

"Oh..."
"What? What is it? Lainie?"

"H-hi Ashton!" she called out to her neighbour. Why did she feel guilty? What was this all about??? As Ash gave her a surprised look, her cheeks grew hot and she suddenly felt self conscious in this dress she was wearing, a dress David thought she looked beautiful in, a dress she was using to get his pulse racing and win him over! And Dexter's brother was watching her!!!

"Hey!" he answered, no emotion in his voice, just staring at the two of them there. And all the while she felt like she'd been caught doing something naughty! If only she had known that Ash was feeling exactly the same way, having just come out of the lift from the ground floor when he was supposed to be next door at Charlotte's. He really hoped Lainie wouldn't say anything...not yet, he wasn't ready!!!

Hurrying up the stairs and into his flat, Ash checked in on Dexter. Wondering if he knew that Lainie had a date with another guy. "Hey little brother!" and by the looks of it...he did!

"So I just saw Lainie and some guy out in the hall, she was wearin' this purple dress with a big split up the..."
"Ash? Please don't!" Dexter whimpered and screwed his eyes shut.
"What happened bro?"

"Well I went down there, I had my whole speech laid out in my head, my gestures, my...you name it! And this guy was there, a NICE guy, good guy who deserves her! A guy who's not like me...who's not me! And she was all googly eyed over him and batting her eyes...I blew it Ash! I lost my chance and I blew it!!!"

"Hey! This is not you! You don't give up this easily! Come on man where's your fighting spirit? Huh? Do you love her or not Dexter???"

"I do, that's why I'm letting her go!"

Unable to conceal his hurt and anger any longer, Drew popped over to see Charlotte once Ash had arrived back home. He wanted to know why she hadn't entrusted him to rescue her cat! "Hello Andrew! I was just about to watch a DVD, would you like to join me?" she greeted him cheerily.
"No, I wanna know why you called Ash to save your cat from the dryer when I could have easily..." before he could finish, he was distraced by Charlotte's look of shock.

"Andrew I don't know what you're talking about. Please don't shout at me like that it hurts my feelings!" she whimpered as her eyes began to tear up.

"But...Ash said he was coming over here to...rescue your cat from the dryer so..."
"No he wasn't!" she butted in again with a high pitched voice.
"Oh Char I'm...I'm so sorry!"

Charlotte looked down at the ground with a sheepish grin on her face, "Oh Andrew you should have known that you would be the first person I'd call if I needed help! Now are you going to stay and watch this film with me? I have to go to bed at midnight so we need to get a move on!"

Drew felt a mixture of things, guilt and relief with a hint of confusion mixed in! Where had Ash been if he wasn't with Charlotte? And why did he feel compelled to lie about his whereabouts???

As they sat down to watch the slushy film Charlotte had picked out, Drew felt terrible for shouting at her! He'd have killed anyone who did that to her, and he'd just gone and done it!!!

"Charlotte?" he whispered.
"Yes Andrew?" she whispered back. He scooted along beside her, put his arm around her and gave her guilty look.

"I'm so sorry I shouted, can you forgive me?"
"Yes Andrew, can you do something for me in return?"
"Anything!!!"
"Keep quiet please? I'm trying to watch this!" Drew let out a huge laugh then covered his mouth as she turned to face the T.V., trying not to laugh too!

Lainie felt her heart pound in her chest, her mouth grew dry and her legs became unsteady! Deja-vu! Although the bar was quiet, it was the middle of the night after all, she still felt self conscious!

"It's going to be fine I promise!" David's soothing voice called to her over the music.

They walked together onto the dance floor as her face grew hot and the lights flickered and glowed on her bare skin.

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you! It's as if I'm taking you to your doom ha ha!" he chuckled and gazed at her.
"I'm sure I've seen that girl at the bar before!" Lainie mumbled to herself.
"Well she's not looking whoever she is, come on!"

David took hold of her hands and smiled, "Now trust!"

"I did tell you about my date with A&E did I not?" Lainie looked him in the eyes pleadingly.
"Yes you did, that's why this is going to be completely different, you'll see!"
"Did I also tell you I'm clumsy?"

David pulled her in towards him and raised their hands...

...he led her slowly around the dance floor with his hand gently placed on her hip, giving her tingles...

...around and around they went in slow motion. He was right! This was totally different from the last time!

She felt completely safe in his arms as he kept his eyes focused on hers, smiling all the time!

As he twirled her around she couldn't believe she was actually dancing! HER! The one with the two left feet made of lead!

Still keeping his eyes on hers, she felt like he was exploring her soul, and she didn't mind one bit! He was so sweet and charming, he wasn't complicated or hard to understand! He was just David Green!

For the first time in a long time, Lainie felt completely at ease with a man! Dexter had been the last guy she'd felt comfortable with, she still did, but at least with David she knew there was a slight chance he might like her back! Dexter always looked at her with those big brother eyes, always wanting to protect her and defend her honour against bad men and cheeky boys!

At least with David, she could live it...not dream it!

When the dance had finished and both her her feet were free from any stomping, Lainie laughed to herself in surprise.

David gave her a sincere smile and said "See? Told you it would be alright!"

Roxy was sitting waiting for her when she got back home, at 5am!!! "So, you decided to finally come home???" Roxy scolded her.

"Oh Roxanne! It was...the best date like ever!" she squeaked and staggered over to the couch, flinging her shoes off and letting out a huge sigh!

Roxy smiled, happy her friend had enjoyed herself but quickly changed it to a mocking frown, demanding "Are you DRUNK???"

Dex had gone out that morning with his camera, trying to find inspiration to paint. When he got home he was more than a little distressed to be greeted by the last person he wanted to see! "Oh for the love of...WHAT do you WANT WITH ME???" he yelled as she smiled vacantly at him.

"Hello Dexter! Will you marry me?" She was like a robot, no feelings, no emotions! Just a wanton desire to have Dexter and keep him forever and ever!

"Please go away! My heart belongs to another, someone else has taken my soul and without them I am but a shell!"

Selena gave him yet another blank stare, "Is that a new song?"
"No!"
"Is it Rosalie?"
"NO!"
"Are you secretly gay?"
"NOOOO! Look, I don't know you and I don't want to know you! My brother told me you set off a fire alarm downtown because you wanted to see me and he was mad so you'd better go before he sees you!" Dexter pleaded with her, but she wasn't for shifting!

"Look girl..."
"Selena!" she cut in flatly.
"Selena? Okay Selena, I'm getting married to um..."
"Your bandmate Drew?"

"WHAT? NO!" Dex could hardly hide his disgust. He was straight, why did she think he was gay? Not that he had a problem with it, he just wasn't!

"Is it me? Dexter, is it? Is it?" she squeaked excitedly, the first show of emotion she had expressed the whole time they'd been talking.
""No Selena, I don't even know you!"

"It's just that, you know, with your brother and my friend dating now I..."
"WAIT! You...my brother is not dating anyone, he doesn't date! Not since...look girly I am NOT interested in you, not while that gorgeous little babe who owns the diner lives and breathes okay?"
"Oh!" Selena exclaimed, rather taken aback.

Dexter looked down at the ground in shame, he didn't want to hurt this girl, who was a little more than crazy! As he looked at his own shoes, then to hers, he had no control over what came out of his mouth next, "You do realise you're wearing odd socks?"

"Yes, so?"
"Not a thing!"

As Roxy was laughing at Dexter flapping his arms about at a girl outside, Lainie was still high from her date with David despite having had only two hours sleep! "Dexter's really giving that girl what for hehe!" Roxy giggled as Dex continued to wave and stamp at the girl.
"Oh, he's fighting them off as usual!" Lainie said dreamily, "That's just Dexy!"

"What are you looking so pleased about anyway?" Roxy gave her an impatient stare.
"Oh nothing, just got a text from David that's all!" she grinned and clapped her hands with glee.

"Lovely! But what are you going to tell Dex about the painting Miss Lovebird?"
"The truth!" Lainie shrugged, "It's the only way!"

"Uh-oh here he comes, wish me luck Rox!" Roxanne gripped her friend's hand and gave her a sympathetic smile.

"Hey!" Dexter stopped in front of the girls and his shoulders sagged as he let out a huge, disappointed sigh.
"Hey Dexy!" Lainie replied nervously.
"I'll er...leave you guys to talk!" Roxy winked and left to clean some tables.

"So we need to talk?" Dexter couldn't look her in the eye, afraid he was going to beg her not to date anyone but him, be with him only! He loved her and wanted her and needed to be with her always and forever! Yeah that had been the speech, but he wasn't going to use it, not while David was in the picture and he hadn't seen Lainie glow like that before, David's influence no doubt!
"Yes Dexy we do! It's about your painting? The one of the strawberry? I kinda spilled coffee on it and..." Dex laughed softly and stopped her in her tracks.

"Oh, that one! I hated it anyway! No worries freckles, I have plenty more you can display!"

"WAIT! You're leaving?" Lainie called to him in a shrill tone.
"I'll be back, I have just the painting to replace it, oh and if you haven't already will you burn that piece of crap?"

When Dexter returned with the painting, Lainie could hardly get over how beautiful it was! Yes it was the same theme as all his other paintings, but this one was different somehow! "So, who is it then?" Lainie asked him quietly as he could hardly keep his eyes off of his work. He blushed and hung his head.

"Oh come on!" he muttered, "You don't know? It's someone very special to me!"
"No I don't, is it your ex? Rosalie?"

Dexter looked up and his eyes burned into hers, "It's you freckles!" he answered, almost a whisper!
"But I don't...I'm not that pretty!"
"Of course you are! It's what I see when I look at you, it's how I see you in my head so I drew you!"

As they stood in silence for what felt like hours, Lainie felt hot tears roll down her face, this was what Dexter saw when he looked at her??? His words! Dexter certainly had a beautiful mind. As she blinked away the rest of the tears that threatened to fall, Dex squeezed her hand affectionately.

"David is a lucky guy freckles, I hope he knows that!"
"I think I'm the lucky one! I have the sweetest neighbour in the world! And you're a pretty awesome friend too!" Lainie sniffed and squeezed his hand back.
"Yeah freckles, I'm always your friend, no matter what happens!" No matter what happens? What did he mean by that? Why did he always have to be so cryptic? Lainie knew that she would never understand what went on in Dexter Maloney's head for as long as she lived! And sometimes, that made her mad, but most of the time...it made her adore him even more!

So what's the verdict on David? Are we warming to Dex again? Hmm? I sure hope so because he really is a darling deep down! Next chapter will be coming soooooon! Hope you all enjoyed this one and thank you for supporting me and reading, it makes it all worthwhile! xxxxxxx


5 comments:

  1. I just hope Lainie will make up her mind sometime soon *gritsteeth*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I hope Drew can control that temper of his :/ David seems lovely, so pleased Dex decided to do the right thing and support Lainie as a friend again at last, although still rooting for him and Lainie!! Poor Roxie, she seems so lonely. but I am sure you have plans for that young lady don't you ;) Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew won't get mad like that again. What happens in chapter 11 will make sure of that! I have a soft spot for Dexy (having made him lol) so I'm always rooting for him. Lainie is secretly in love with him though isn't she? So I guess any other guy that comes along is second best to him. David is a great guy, but will it last? :o/

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)