Sunday 23 March 2014

Love Drunk: Breaking Hearts!

Another little tale starring the characters of Love Drunk! This time it starts when Dexter and Lainie are children. This is the story of love at first sight, of heartbreak and broken promises! This is a love story that never died...


"MUM I'M GOING OUT!!!"
"HONEY WAIT!!!"
"Oh no!" Dexter Maloney grunted under his breath.

"Ashton? Go with your brother, make sure he doesn't do anything strenuous."
"Okay mum!" Ashton Maloney sighed, hung his head and followed his brother out into the front garden.

"MUUUUM!" Dexter protested when he saw Ashton appear.
"Suck it up smelly butt, I've to come with you! No monkey bars for you!"
"What about the see-saw?" Dexter pouted.
"We'll see kiddo!"
"Please Ashy?" He pleaded, batting his big blue eyes at his older brother.

"Only if you go slow, and I'm on the other end, no one else okay? Not even Andy!"
"But..." he pouted even more.
"I mean it Dexter, Mum will kill me if you die!"

As the boys arrived at the park, Andrew Mitchell was already there swinging away to himself as he did. Dexter envied him, he envied his brother and any other kid who could play on the playground freely and not have someone watching their every move. Dexter had been born eight weeks premature and his heart was weak. He got out of breath easily, he got palpitations, he couldn't live like a normal ten year old boy. And his mother was constantly worrying and fussing over him, so any fun he could have was marred by her concern.

Ashton, his older brother by two years, didn't have much of a life either. He was always looking out for Dexter and missed out on playing with his friends. Dexter felt bad about it, but he wanted to be normal too, so that meant Ashton had to accompany him everywhere. Andrew spotted the Maloney brothers and jumped off the swing, something Dexter would never be able to do without his heart exploding.

"Hey duuuuudes!" He greeted them cheerily.
"Hey Andy! Dexter is NOT to run okay?"


"Ashy...don't!" Dexter frowned as Andrew nodded and replied,
"Okay cool, we could build a fortress in the sandpit." Dexter sighed, he wanted to swing as high as the sky, he wanted to slide a million times until he was dizzy. He wanted a puppy to run with...he wanted to be a normal boy!

As they headed to the sandpit, Dexter was aware of someone sitting on one of the benches, looking lonely...

...it was a girl! A cute, blonde girl about his age with freckles. She seemed sad and lost. As Dexter headed towards her leaving Andrew by the sandpit, he called out to him...

"HEY BABY MALONEY WHAT'S THE DEAL???" He shouted, a little annoyed that his friend was abandoning him.


"Hi!" Dexter mumbled to the girl as she remained in the one spot, not looking up. "I said...hi!" He huffed as the girl finally acknowledged his presence. She looked up at him and her blue eyes sparkled in the sun, Dexter struggled for breath and this time it was not because he'd taken the stairs too quickly or tried to play tag with Andrew...

...this time it was because this girl was cute. He liked her, she stirred something in him that felt wonderful. "Hello!" She finally replied.
"I'm Dexter, but you can call me Dex or...whatever. What's your name?" He beamed and sat beside her.

"Evelyn, but you can call me Lainie."
"Lainie!" His smile widened and his heart began to beat at a steady pace, a warm glow began to burn inside his chest, in a good way. What pretty freckles she had!

"So do you live here or...cuz I never saw you at school before..."
"My gran lives here. She's not very well so my mum is here to look after her." She sighed and looked at the ground.
"Oh, well I hope she gets better." Was all he could find to say.
"Me too! She bakes wonderful cakes!" The girl smiled.

"Well when she does get better maybe you could bring me some. I'm not supposed to eat them but there are a lot of things I'm not supposed to do!"
"Why not?"
"Because my mum and dad are worry warts!" He shook his head. "That's not entirely true, I have a bad heart, I was born too early. I was due in February but mum said I was impatient and I wanted to come out in December!" He chuckled and moved closer to her.

"I was late, by six days!" She swung her legs back and forth, she seemed to be relaxing.
"Where does your gran live?"
"Just around the corner, why?"
"Because I wanna come play with you some time! Or you could come to my house and play with me. I'm not allowed to run though, my heart might go boom hehe!" Dexter swung his legs in time with hers and felt a numbness wash over his whole body.

"I don't know how long we're staying for. But I'd love to play with you. I don't really do running, I like to bake and I like making jewellery."
"I like to draw, and play keyboard and guitar. Ashy plays drums at school."
"Who's that?" She eyed him curiously.
"My big brother, he has to look after me. It annoys him and I know he really hates me because I'm a pest but...I can't help my heart!" He looked her in the eyes and she blushed, it was adorable.
"Well I don't think you're a pest, I think you're sweet!" She giggled and looked away.
"Promise me you'll come back here and play with me?" It took her a long time to answer but when she did, she finally looked at him, four blue eyes connecting.

"I promise Dexy!" No one had ever called him Dexy! And he was surprised that he actually liked it!
"I have to go now, but I'll be here tomorrow same time. Don't  be late freckles or you'll break my heart!" He winked, hopped gingerly off the bench and walked slowly towards another boy who was playing in the sandpit.


"Who was that?" Andrew mumbled to his best friend, not looking up from his sandcastle.
"Oh, just my true love Andy, no biggie!" Dexter grinned and slowly sat down beside him.


"I didn't know you like, were into girls already Dex! I mean, Ash is into that Tina girl in his music class, you know the one with the boobies?" Dexter let out a giggle when Andrew said the word "boobies". "Oh grow up Dex, all girls get 'em!"
"I know, but freckles hasn't yet! And I don't care because she's my true love and we're gonna get married and have babies and live on a farm! With a huge big arena in a field where we can play in our band and be as famous as Bon Jovi!"


Andrew sighed, "Dex you really do have a festive imagination!"
"Uh I think you mean fertile? And yeah, I do! But mark my words Andy, I WILL marry that girl with the freckles! And our babies will have freckles! I'll tattoo them on myself!"
"You are NOT gunna be a tattoo artist Dex, your dad would never allow it!" Andrew scoffed as he admired his handiwork.
"We'll see!" Was all Dexter replied.


"Oh Evie where have you been?" Sadie Robertson demanded shrilly as she fiercely chopped vegetables on the kitchen counter.
"Yeah freak, we've been waiting here for ages! Gran's up and dressed and she even ate all of her lunch!"
"Olivia don't call your sister a freak! Yes honey, gran is going to see the doctor today since she's feeling better. Who knows we might be able to go home soon!" Lainie's mother smiled as her older sister, Liv, glared down at her.


"I met a boy at the park mum!" Lainie said flatly as Liv laughed hysterically.
"A boy? What, was he blind with a labrador and a white stick?"
"No..."


"Was he ugly with boils and buck teeth and glasses?"
"No..."
"Was he unbelievably stupid or brain dead?"
"No, he was pretty with perfect skin and perfect teeth and he was very clever!"

Liv glared even harder at Lainie, "Okay, so you met Tom Cruise's love child at the park? And he actually gave a fat little piglet like you the time of day? I am impressed!"
"He called me freckles!"
"Ohhhh how cute!" Liv gagged mockingly.
"How is Greg these days Liv?" Lainie glared back at her sister and left her to stew as her mother called over sternly,
"Girls that's enough!"


Greg was Liv's on/off boyfriend who was messing her around, he was also seeing other girls behind her back. Lainie wasn't usually bitchy, but Liv brought it out in her from time to time. Liv's jealousy of her younger sister was obvious, only Lainie couldn't see it! She believed some of the nasty things that her sister said to her...


...and it hurt her feelings! But when she thought about Dexter, her heart fluttered and her cheeks flushed. He was so cute! And he seemed to really like her! She was looking forward to meeting him again at the park!


Dexter was still thinking about the pretty little girl with the freckles when he returned home. As his brother and best friend changed to play football, his mother Avril was tending to her plants outside. He so wanted to play with them but he knew he wouldn't be allowed, but that didn't stop him from at least asking if he could! "Mum?"
"Yes Dexter?"
"Can I play ball with Ashy and Andy?" Avril sighed impatiently as she tugged away at the strange plant.


"Dexter sweetie you know the answer to that!"
"Yes but..." Avril cut in, ignoring her youngest son's pleas.
"You're not playing football and that is final!" she muttered rather sternly as Dexter could feel the anger begin to build up inside of his chest.


As darkness began to fall, he followed his mother stomping his little feet all the way. "Mummy please!!!" Avril turned to face him and smiled sympathetically.
"Dexter, you CANNOT play with them because of your heart and you know this, so stop making this harder for me to resist your little face! Please!"
"My heart is fine! I can kick the ball, I don't need to play goals!"
"Dexter!"


As his mother's face began to fall over refusing her little boy something he wanted to do, Dexter's anger got worse and he shouted at her in frustration. "How come Ashy gets to play? And Andy? What makes me so different? Huh? I'm sick of being...SICK!!!"
"Oh Dexter, baby your heart is more delicate than Ashton and Andrew's! You know this! You're special honey, you can do other things, less strenuous things!"
"Like WHAT?" Dexter cried.


"Like drawing me pretty pictures and playing lovely music for me while I clean the house!"
"Mummy, I just want to be normal!" Avril tried not to cry in front of him as she quietly replied,
"I want that too, but in the meantime try and be satisfied with watching your brother play football, okay?"


Avril and Dexter watched the boys taking turns at goals and shooting. Dexter wished so badly that he could play! But he understood why he couldn't, it didn't make it any less disappointing though!


The next day was Saturday, Dexter sat on the same bench at the same time waiting for Lainie! He couldn't get her pretty freckles and her button nose out of his mind all night. He dreamed of her and she was the first thing he thought about when he woke up that morning and had his toast and orange juice. Then at lunchtime, his baked potato made him think of Lainie's hair, golden and warm! He couldn't wait to see her again.


As he sat waiting, Ashton appeared looking annoyed. "What are you playing at you little freak???"
"Excuse me?" Dexter raised an eyebrow at his brother.

"You snuck out and mum is raging!!!"
"But you knew where I was going, so did Andy!" Dexter replied and swung his legs back and forth, reminding him of yesterday when Lainie did the same and he copied her. It made his heart skip a beat remembering that tingling feeling he got when their legs touched. Ash sat down next to him and let out a frustrated sigh.


"You do realise that I get it in the neck every time you go off like this?"
"I'm sorry Ashy, I just wanna be like you! I wanna play and run and skip and jump...and shoot the ball in the goal!"
"Dexter..." Dexter didn't allow his brother to finish.
"I know I know! I can't!" he grunted and looked down at his shoes. "Where is she?"


"How long have you been here?" Ash asked him.
"About forty minutes, why?"
"Well if she's not here in twenty, we're outta here, deal?" Dexter pouted and fought the urge to cry, but he finally agreed with his brother.
"Okay!"


Lainie did not show. Ash took Dex home with a protective, brotherly arm around him as he sniffled and rubbed his teary eyes. When they arrived back home, their father was waiting for them and he looked mad. "Ashton? Go upstairs to your room, I want to speak to your brother in private!" Ash hung his head and squeezed Dexter's hand briefly before heading upstairs.


"Sit down Dexter!" Jim Maloney instructed him.
"Dad..."
"SIT...down!" he cut in and pointed to the couch.


As Dexter sat down reluctantly, his father joined him and let out a great big manly sigh. "Son, you can't run off like that and not tell us! Your mum was distraught!"
"I'm sorry dad, Ashy knew I was going to the park and..."
"Dexter, your brother is twelve years old! He wants to have a life of his own. But he can't keep running after you! You have to tell us what's going on in that head of yours! You're not like other boys kiddo! We need to know where you are, ALL the time!"


Dexter sat silently for a moment thinking of how big a nuisance he was to his big brother. "I don't mean to be a pain dad!" Jim gave him a shocked look, then spoke.
"You are NOT a PAIN! Do not EVER think that!" he shook his head.


"You are our son Dexter, our little boy! It's not your fault you're poorly!"
"I mean to Ashy! I know he hates me for being so weak!"
"Ashton loves you! When you were born, he was only two but he used to cradle you in his arms and call you his baby! He used to sing to you and sleep in your cot when you wouldn't settle! You mean the world to him Dexter! Always have and you always will! You are so lucky to have him! I didn't get along with my brothers, neither of them wanted to be my best man when I married your mum! It hurt I don't mind telling you!"


"But you and Ashton, you have this special bond! You are the yin to his yang!" Dexter looked at his father with a puzzled expression.
"What's that?"
"You complete him! You are the other half of each other, and it's beautiful to see! I'm so proud that my boys are so close!" Dexter smiled, he liked to think that he and Ash were as close as his dad said.


"Now go on upstairs and give your brother a hug! He deserves it the way he looks out for you!"
"Okay daddy!" Dexter slid off the couch and headed up to see Ash.


When he knocked on his brother's door, he thought about Lainie. It hurt to think that she'd stood him up. "Well are you coming in or not you little jerk???" Ash called from his room.


He was sitting on his bed, waiting for Dexter to give him the all clear. "Well?"
"It's cool, and I'm sorry for being annoying. You must really hate..." Ash hopped off of his bed and strode towards him, punching him on the arm.


"OWWW!" Dex cried and rubbed his arm.
"Shut it you little freak show! I don't hate you! You're just annoying! Come 'ere!" Ash pulled him in for a tight hug.


"I love you Dexter! And if you tell anyone I said that, I'll knock your head off your shoulders!"
"Understood!" Dex grinned from ear to ear and for one minute had forgotten about his broken heart.


Monday came by quickly and Dexter was feeling under the weather. He'd woken up in the middle of the night with sweats and palpitations, he'd scared the living daylights out of his mother when he began to breathe heavily. So Ash had a sick note to take in for him, he wasn't going to school today. Avril barely kept her eyes off of her snoozing child on the couch as Jim came up behind her and gave her a loving hug. 


"He will be okay! He's a tough little cookie!"
"I know, but he's my baby!"


Ashton headed off for school, but not before saying goodbye to his little brother. "I'll tell Andy you said hi okay?" he told Dex as he dozed, the effect of the strong medication was obvious, he was so sleepy.


Dex dreamed of Lainie again. "You finally came!"
"Dexy I'm sorry I..."


 "I thought I'd never see you again, my freckles!"
"I had to go away but now I'm back! I was so worried you'd hate me!"


"I forgive you freckles, I forgive you because you are my true love!"
"Dexy we're 10, how do you even know what true love is?"
"I'm looking at it!"


Dexter's lovely dream was interrupted by his mother shaking him and shouting in a shrill tone. "Dexter??? JIIIIMMMM!!! He's doing it again!!!" Dexter's breathing got heavy and his little body began to shake uncontrollably. 


As he struggled to wake up, his eyes flickering open and shut, he could see the silhouette of his father scooping him up and the cold air hitting him like a slap to his face. "Oh Dexter!" His mother cried behind them as they headed to the car, "Stay strong baby, for mummy!"


SEVEN YEARS LATER...

"Come on then, put your money where your mouth is little brother!" Ashton Maloney grinned wickedly as he proudly defended his goal.


"Be afraid Ash! Be very afraid!" Dexter shook his head slowly and tapped the ball with his foot. It had been four years since his heart valve replacement and he was doing well. He was heading for University in a few months time, he was the youngest in his class and being born in December meant he didn't turn 18 until he was half way through the first year.


As he kicked the ball towards the goal, he thought about Lainie. He thought about her a lot, what was she doing now? What did she look like now she was almost finished school? Did she still have those cute little freckles and the button nose? He'd found out through other friends at school that Elizabeth Marshall, Lainie's grandmother, had passed away the day they were supposed to meet despite having gotten better for a little while. He now knew why Lainie never showed, he now knew why he never saw her again! He may have known the truth now but it didn't make it any less painful, that day and that girl still had a special place in his heart! He never really did get over Lainie!


As Ash jumped to the right and the ball hit the left hand side of the net, he grunted in frustration as Dex cheered happily!


"YESSSSS! I would like my payment in CASH please big brother!" He chuckled as Ash approached him shaking his head in defeat.

Ash sighed and punched his brother lightly on the chest, "I'm gonna miss you kiddo!"
"I'll miss you too, who's going to nag me when I'm away?" Dexter winked.
"Oh don't you worry about that, I have Andrew well trained!"


The day had finally come for Dexter William Maloney to spread his wings and fly away from the nest. Avril was teary, it was hard for her to say goodbye to her youngest child.

Ashton was settled in the fire station and working his way up the ranks. He had two choices to make when he left school, go to University and study a degree in physiotherapy or make his after-school job at the fire station a permanent one. So he went with the latter, his parents were proud of him despite him turning down the opportunity of a scholarship. Jim never stopped boasting about his son the firefighter!


As Dexter looked at his family, he felt rather sad. This was all he had known all of his life! He'd never really had a proper childhood because of his heart condition and when he got his valve replacement he got a new lease of life. He caught up with his studies and he played every sport he could join. He painted and played his instruments and even joined the school choir. Dexter even managed to fit in a girlfriend, Katie Reese. He met her at choir practice and they clicked, but that freckled face always haunted him and he ended up asking Katie to just be his friend. He'd kissed her a bunch of times and once she even let him unclip her bra, but it wasn't really much fun.


As Andrew arrived, having said goodbye to his grandfather, Avril felt the urge to hug him. After all he was like her third son after his mother died and his father disappeared. 


Although Andrew had his granddad, the Maloneys were his parents. He stayed there most of the time and was treated like Ash and Dex's brother. "Ready to go Maloney the second?" he called to his best friend.
"Yep, just need to..." Dex began and squeezed his mother as tightly as he could manage without hurting her.


"I love you mum! I love you so much and I'll miss you even more!"
"Oh honey, you can always pop home any time you want! It's only a two hour bus journey away!" she sniffled and rubbed his back.


"Take care son!" Jim pulled him in for a brief hug. "Your mum's right, you can always come home when you feel like it! That goes for you too Andy!"
"It's Drew now Mr M! And thanks!" Andrew replied, honoured to be made a part of the family as always. It was a new grown up thing he was trying out, being called Drew now.


Dex and Drew arrived at their dorm feeling nervous and excited at the same time. They had applied for a room to share, but sometimes it didn't work out like that. Luckily though, it had worked in their favour and they were roommates. As Dex took in the surroundings and put his guitar down in the corner of the room, he once again thought about Lainie and what she might be doing now. Just as he was thinking this, Drew began to giggle as he looked out the window and nudged him playfully.


"What?" Dex muttered irritably.
"That chick down there, she just spilled her water all over one of the classroom assistants!" he guffawed and covered his mouth like a kid.


"What's so funny about that?"
"She's so clumsy, when she tried to wipe it off with a tissue it left a big white mark down his black t-shirt!" he laughed even louder.
"Drew don't be a jerk! She's obviously nervous like us!" Dex scolded his best friend.


"Oh no I'm not nervous dude! I can't wait to get into the lab and do some experiments!" Drew grinned from ear to ear, he was studying science while Dexter was studying fine arts.


Dexter decided to take a walk around campus before the meet and greet later that afternoon. While he was taking in the surroundings, he noticed the girl Drew had been laughing at earlier.


She was sitting alone and staring into space. Dex decided it would be nice to make her feel at ease and introduced himself.
"Hi!" the girl looked up at him with a startled expression. "I said...hi?" he repeated as her eyes locked onto his.
"Hello!" she replied, still looking rather alarmed.


As he looked at her, he got a huge feeling of deja-vu! "I'm Dexter but you can..." the girl interrupted his greeting.
"Dexy?" Dexter's heart stopped, only one person in the entire universe had ever called him that! And as he really looked at her properly her freckles and button nose were unmistakable!
"Freckles???" he gasped.
"Oh Dexy! I can't believe it's really you! Are you...are you studying here???"
"Yes, Fine Arts! You?"
"Hospitality and Catering!"


Dexter couldn't keep the wide grin from his face as he sat down beside her, "Oh my god freckles I was beginning to doubt I'd ever see you again!"
"I'm sorry I didn't come and meet you that day, although you probably forgot all about me!"
"No, no I did not! Freckles, you've been on my mind and in my heart ever since we met!" Lainie's eyes widened.


"But we...we only ever spoke for ten minutes at best!"
"Best ten minutes of my life!" he took hold of her hand and blushed.


They talked together for over an hour, he told her about his bad turn a couple of days after she no-showed and how he needed a heart valve replacement but it took three years for him to finally get it. Over the course of those three years Dexter's heart stopped four times and his family were planning his funeral every six months when he got worse and worse.


Lainie told him about her grandmother's death, how she never returned to Moonlight Falls and her sister ran away with her boyfriend and ended up in Bridgeport stealing cars, she was now working in a bar in Midnight Hollow. She told him about her life leading up to that moment they met again, how she'd never had a boyfriend because none of them were ever as beautiful as the little boy she saw at the park that day.


Dexter took hold of her hands and sighed, "You know, I always knew I'd find you again! Maybe not here but...I knew we'd bump into each other, in a bar in the middle of nowhere or turning a corner in Paris! I just knew you were meant for me!"
"Dexy!"
"I love you freckles! I really do! I had a girlfriend at school, her name was Katie. She was nice and all but I ended up breaking it off because she wasn't you!"


"Dexy!" Lainie sighed and pulled gently away from him, "I..."
"Freckles I am NOT losing you again! Let's get a place here on campus and never be apart again!"


"Dexy my friend, she's here with me too! Roxy is...well we made a pact to be with each other and support each other!"
"I have Drew here too! We could all get a place together! I can call my dad and he'll send over some money for a deposit and..."
"Dexy!" she yelled in frustration.


"What?"
"I...can't I...I'm sorry!" she turned heel and ran.


"FRECKLES???"
Dexter stood on the spot, devastated! This should have been the best day of his life but instead his heart was aching. This time not from illness, but from finding his true love only to lose her again!


When he returned to his room, Drew had already left for the meet and greet. He was a bit of a loner and did things on a whim.


Dex made his way there alone, when he arrived he spotted Lainie and another girl he guessed was Roxy...


...and they were holding hands!


As he marched up to them he could see Lainie's face turn crimson. "Hi Freckles, this is Roxy I presume?" he put on the most convincing smile he could endure as the other girl let out a little chuckle.
"So this is the guy that turned you eh?" she laughed even harder!
"Turned...?" Dexter blinked in confusion as Roxy's laugh echoed around the room.


"Ohhhh this is precious! You didn't tell him?"
"Tell me what?" Dexter shook his head slowly.
"Roxanne, please!" Lainie could barely look at him.
"That we're together, as in a relationship? Girlfriend and girlfriend?" Roxy smirked at him, finding this whole situation highly amusing.


Dexter couldn't find any words, all he could do was stand there numb on the spot. "Dexy?" Lainie mumbled.
"Wow!" Roxy exclaimed, "I think he really does love you Lain!"
"Dexy say something?"
Finally Dexter found the strength to speak, "I'm glad you're happy freckles, really I am. It was nice meeting you Roxy, take good care of her will you? She's...she deserves to be loved and cherished!"


"Dexy..." Lainie called out to him as he headed upstairs to find Drew.


Lainie followed him and called out to him once again, "DEXY!!!" Dex slowly turned round to face her, ready to give her a piece of his mind but when he saw her little face...


...he melted on the spot! "Yes freckles?"
"I told you, I've never had a boyfriend and I was telling the truth!"
"Yes, I guess you were!"
"I'm...I made a promise to Roxy! We made a pact to forget about men and make each other happy!"
"And are you?" Dex looked down at his shoes.


"Am I what?" she shook her head and her hair flailed around her shoulders.
"Happy?" he looked up and stared her down. Eventually she looked away and answered him in a whisper.
"No!" she replied.


"Are you gay freckles?"
"No!"
"Then why are you having a relationship with another woman?"


Lainie looked back at him then trying to conceal her tears and cried "Because I wanted YOU! Only YOU! No other boy, just YOU!"
"Pretending to be something you're not is...well you're living a lie freckles and it isn't fair on you or Roxy...or me!"


"Roxy has been in love with me since we were twelve years old. All I could ever talk about was you, she told me to make a vow right there. If I didn't find you by the time we were 18, I was to forget you! I was to forget you and give her a chance. So my birthday was a few weeks ago and...I fulfilled my promise!" Dexter smiled sadly and walked slowly towards her.


"Well, I guess I should really show you what you're missing eh?" he winked and took hold of her...


...kissing her as passionately and as sincerely as he could. He'd waited so long to have her in his arms, to feel her lips pressed against his own and her warm body next to him. He'd kissed Katie with his eyes closed imagining Lainie there with him, and this time she really was!


When he finally let her go, the look of shock on her face made him want to laugh out loud. "I want you to think about that kiss every time she holds you, every time she touches your hand, kisses your lips! I want you to remember that only I can make you feel like the only girl in the universe and mean it! I want you to remember that I waited EIGHT YEARS to taste your sweet lips and hold your body next to my own!"


"Because I love you freckles! I was ten years old and my heart was broken the day I waited for you and you never came. Two days later I was dying! That's no coincidence! If I hadn't got that valve, you'd have killed me! I did tell you if you didn't show up you'd break my heart!"
"Dexy..." she muttered helplessly, still recovering from that kiss.


"I nearly died of a broken heart! But I never gave up on you! Not ever, shame you gave up on me, huh freckles?" he cocked his head to the side and frowned.


"Dexy I never gave up on YOU, I gave up on MEN! The reason being they were never good enough, they were never YOU!"
"Well, it's a shame we'll never have those pretty babies with the freckles that I dream about every night, isn't it?"


It was his turn to walk away and leave her standing, and it felt like a smack in the face.


That evening, as they sat in their room, Roxy Harmon couldn't stop thinking about the look on Dexter's face when she told him she and Lainie were a couple. It stung her heart and it made her feel bad, not just for herself, but for Dexter! She never realised that a boy could ever be genuine, be true to a girl...


...but it seemed that Dexter really was! He'd really waited all this time for her, and when he found out Roxy had got in there before him, she saw his heart shatter in front of her!


That morning, Lainie was in a panic as Roxy was nowhere to be seen and their first class started very soon. "Where have you been? We have class in ten minutes!!!" Lainie scolded Roxy as she appeared back at their dorm.
"I had to go out!"
"Where?" Lainie just wouldn't let it go, she was always late for things and relied on Roxy to get her there in time.
"Lain?"
"What? Get your books, come on!"
"I'm sorry!" Lainie gave her a concerned look.
"What for?"


Roxy took hold of her hands and sighed, "I've been selfish! I should have told you to hold on to your dream and never stop believing, but instead I..."
"Roxanne? What's going on?"


"I'm letting you out of your promise! You're not in love with me, you'll never love me the way I love you. I'm telling you to find Dexter Maloney and be happy!"
"Roxanne, I promised..." Roxy cut her off with a wave of her hand.


"You and me? We'll always be best friends. And it'll be okay because we stopped this in time, we only kissed once and the rest of our relationship consisted of holding hands! And I have a feeling that you were only going through the motions to make me happy, that's true friendship right there and I'll always be grateful!"
"Roxanne..."


"I've put your name on the list with Dexter's for a house on campus. We'll still see each other, and I hope you make me your chief bridesmaid when you two tie the knot after graduation!" Roxy smiled sadly at her friend.


"Roxanne, what about you? Is this really what you want?"
"I want you to be happy. And I can't be happy if I'm making you miserable! I love you Lain, that's why I'm letting you go!"


Dexter sat at the bench where he and Lainie were reunited the day before. He was confused, he had received a visit from Lainie's "girlfriend" and it had messed with his mind. She had told him that she was breaking up with Lainie because she could see how much she loved him. But Dexter got the feeling that once Lainie made a promise, she stood by it!


But when he spotted her walking towards him, his heart began to pound wildly. "Hello Dexy!" she smiled, rather warily.
"Hi freckles!" he mumbled and squinted at the sun.


As she looked down at him, his palms were sweating and his mouth was dry. "How are you today?" she chirped, why was she torturing him???
"I'm...a little...messed up if I'm honest!" she looked at him with a surprised expression.
"Why Dexy?"
"I...got a visit from Roxy and she...freckles why are you here?" Lainie stood for a moment in silence, and it was killing him.

Finally she sat down, smiled at him and said, "I wanted to show you our new house!" 
"Our what?" Dexter blinked, and in one swift movement she grabbed his hand and led him across the square.


"Two postgraduates just moved to another University and this house is just lying empty. Roxy put our names on the list just this morning and...Dexy it's fate!" she beamed as they stood outside a pretty little bungalow behind the Fine Arts building. 


Lainie looked at Dexter and smiled nervously, "So, what do you think? Will you be my housemate?"


Avril and Jim Maloney were awaiting the return of their youngest son from University. It was nearly Christmas but no snow could be seen, usually Avril would have the tree and decorations up the first week of December, but Dexter always helped her with that so she decided to wait for him to come home. Dexter had told them he had a surprise for them and they spent the next couple of days trying to figure out what it was.


Ashton was equally as curious, knowing Dexter he probably dyed his hair green or something just as silly. But Ash could not wait to see his baby brother again, it had been three months since he left for University and he hadn't been home since. When the car drew up and Dexter got out, followed by Drew, Ash noticed another figure in the car...


...a girl! A girl with long blonde hair. She got out of the car and stumbled as Dexter caught her before she landed on the ground. The two of them laughed as she hit him playfully on the arm and he took her bag. Dexter had a girlfriend!


"Mum, Dex has a girlfriend!" Ash blurted out as his mother raced to the window.
"What?" she exclaimed in a high pitched tone.
"Look, right there!" Ash chuckled as Avril headed out the door to greet the boys and this girl.


"Dexter, baby you're home!" she cried and hugged him tightly.
"Hey mum, it's so good to be back home!" he breathed, trying to get out of his mother's strong grip.


"Mum, there's someone I really want you to meet!" Dexter's eyes brightened as he pulled the girl forward. Ash appeared behind their mother and nodded.
"Alright kid?"


"Ash, you remember the girl at the park seven years ago?" Dexter grinned happily as his brother nodded again. "Well, I'd like you all to meet her! Guys this is Lainie!" he declared proudly as the girl smiled nervously and blushed. Ash was now grinning like his brother, he found her after all this time! Avril looked at her for a moment then smiled too, pulling her in for a hug.


"Hello there Lainie, I've heard all about you for so long! And here you are!"
"Hello Mrs Maloney, it's lovely to meet you!" she mumbled into her shoulder.


As Avril let her go to get a good look at this girl who had consumed her son's every thought for seven years, she took her by the hand and said, "Please call me Avril! You are a pretty young thing, I see what my little boy finds so enchanting about you! Come in and meet my husband Jim!"


Ash hugged his brother as the others went inside, "So you found her huh?"
"Yeah, can you believe she was sitting on a bench?"


"How did you two meet back up again?"
"I dunno, I just...was drawn to her!" Dexter shrugged.
"So are you two together or..." Dexter blushed and giggled like a schoolboy.


"Yep!" he nodded excitedly.
"It's so good to see you so happy." Ash gave his brother a soft punch on the arm.
"It's good to feel happy Ash! I feel like there was this massive hole inside of me and now it's gone!"
"So I guess she really is your true love!" Ash winked and left him standing in the garden.


"Yes..." Dexter agreed, "She truly is!"

THE END!

Well that was just a little non canonical story. I've decided to go ahead with Love Drunk 2.0 after generation 10 of The Shylife is underway. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this version, it was just a bit of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)