Wednesday 25 June 2014

These Twin Souls: Prologue

Prologue:

My dearest Verona,
I remember the day you were born, it was a Saturday and Denny was so excited. He wanted you to be a boy, I wanted to play Pacman but we just couldn't focus! My parents were watching Denny while your parents headed to the hospital, and when we were finally allowed to visit he ran down the corridor of the maternity ward as if Hulk Hogan was at the other end, so desperate to meet you. The first time I laid eyes on you was when you were lying in your little cot next to your mother, you were so tiny. I was staring at you with the biggest grin on my face, Denny was huffing because you were a girl! Your mum called over to me, did I want to hold you? And at that moment I felt the most overwhelming burst of love, I wanted so badly to hold you, I was an eight year old boy and all I wanted to do at that moment was hold a baby, not just any baby...YOU! From that moment on I spent all of my spare time with you, I fed and changed you, I took you out in your pram, I played with you! Denny couldn't understand why, and neither could I! All I knew was I had to be with you, I had to have you near me! And my feelings have never changed, they never will! As I watch you load your car, I know I'll never see you again! You're off to the big city to make a name for yourself, and quite right too! Do all of the things I could never do, live your life! But always know that I will be there for you if you ever need me, always!
All my love, Ry xxx


I never gave her that letter! I just watched her drive away as I waved her off from my driveway. I wanted to say goodbye properly, to confess how I truly felt! But I was a coward! I knew she didn't love me, not the way I wanted her to, she proved that the night before she left! If she really did love me like that then she would have stayed, or she would have told me that the night we spent together meant something! But she just drove away, waving happily to me and her family. Denny was preparing to ship out to Afghanistan, he'd joined the Army the year we left high school. If I didn't have Ben to worry about, I would have gone to University like Verona was now, but life changes everything!

I was born Ryan Henry Jensen on 5th July 1977, the only child, at that time, to Stanley and Moira Jensen. I grew up across the street from Dennis Marsh. We were best friends from Nursery right up to the end of high school and beyond. When we were eight, Denny's mother announced that she was expecting a baby, a miracle baby she called it. Apparently they'd been trying for years with no success, but now she was pregnant out of the blue after over seven years! Denny wanted a brother to boss around and I didn't really know how I felt at the time, I wasn't jealous or worried, I just got on with my life...until she was born! Verona Anne Marsh! 31st July 1985! I was Cancer and she was a Leo! But I fell in love with her big blue eyes the first moment they met mine! I knew we would be soul mates, even at eight years old looking down at her as a newborn, I knew she was my twin soul! It sounds kinda creepy now but as a child I didn't understand what was happening to me, my heart was being stolen right under my nose! I looked out for her all of her life, when she fell and scraped her knee I was the one to kiss it better. When she was being bullied in school I was the one who beat the living daylights out of them! When she got her first boyfriend at thirteen I cried myself to sleep, a twenty one year old man, sobbing into my pillow at night! When she asked me to be her date for her prom, I jumped at the chance! Don't get me wrong, I had some ups and downs in my life while I pined for her! My mum got pregnant when I was fourteen, Ben was born and after that my parents never stopped fighting until one night my mum left and never came back, leaving me and Ben with dad. He tried to take care of us but I practically raised Ben myself! Then he got ill and I had to take care of them both, the school were very good and allowed me to come and go while I nursed my dad. I passed my exams and I got accepted to University to study engineering, but then dad passed away and I had to be there for my brother. I got a job straight after school as a mechanic at the local garage and Denny joined the Army. Verona, she was always in my head, even during the hardest times of my life!

When I took her to prom, she was seventeen and I was twenty five, I felt we bonded even more. Now I stand here in the driveway with my eleven year old brother, heartbroken that she's gone! Last night, she climbed in my window like she did so many times over the years, and she told me she was gonna miss me. She wanted to give me something she said, as she snuck into my bed and wrapped herself around me. She told me she wanted me to be her first, everything inside me was yelling no, but my heart took over and I did as she asked. I thought it was special, that it meant something, but as I watched her go, smiling happily as she left for a new life at University...I realised that I'd been used, she didn't love me like I loved her...and I wanted to die!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)