Monday 18 June 2018

The Smallwood Family Legacy Generation Two: A Sims 4 Story

The Smallwood Family Legacy: A Sims 4 Story

Chapter Seventeen: Fantasy Vs Reality


Selvadorado was a beautiful place! I'd seen photos in my school geography books, my aunt Lilith had showed me a postcard her friend sent her, and I was not disappointed when I stepped off the plane! I didn't head over to my accommodation straight away, for a couple of hours I drank in the scenery and took a walk to really get the feel of this magical jungle!

My digs were amazing! Downstairs there was a sitting room and kitchen, all communal, I couldn't wait to meet new people! Upstairs, a row of single beds for weary travelers and a communal bathroom! 

The caretaker said I could pick any bed except one, he had another guest staying who had arrived only half an hour before me. I was really looking forward to getting to know them and comparing our schedules, even go on a few adventures with a new friend!

I was excited, I felt like a kid again! This had been my dream since I was a teenager and my father had told me stories of the great Selvadorado! As I was daydreaming I heard two voices downstairs, a female voice and the caretaker. So my roommate was a girl? Even better, I skipped downstairs to say hello...

...but as I landed on the last step my heart began to beat wildly in my chest! I hated that feeling sometimes, my parents never had that problem as they were turned and their hearts were dead, I was born a vampire so my heart worked just fine...and I sometimes wished it didn't! "Um, why are YOU here?" it just came out, I thought it, but I never meant to actually say it out loud...and not like that!

She didn't look up from her book but the flash of hurt on her face was undeniable! She just smiled, a painful smile I could tell, and replied "Well Lord Smallwood that really is no way to greet a lady!" I blushed and hung my head, I'd known Tabatha Meade for a while, her brother was my best friend, but I didn't really KNOW her!

She had told my sister that she liked me, more than a friend, and when I helped Rave move in with Damian she confessed her attraction to me. But I had made it clear that I would call her after my trip! And here she was, at the same hostel, reading the book I had rambled on about for months! I didn't know what to think, I certainly didn't think it was cute...or clever!

I was so mad, and so gobsmacked that she was here, that I just wanted to leave and visit the tavern for a stiff drink! But she stood up and blocked my path dropping the book. The only sound was the hard thud it made as it hit the floor. "Landy wait!"
"It's Landon!" I grunted, I looked into her green eyes then, I expected the butterflies that Raven talked about, but they never came.
"Landon please, let me explain!" Explain what? That you're a crazy stalker who trekked halfway across the world to hijack my trip of a lifetime?

"Sit? Please?" She pleaded with those eyes, they did nothing for me! Not like Mizuki's, and we all know how that ended! Tabatha liked me, but I was indifferent to her!

I complied, we sat in an awkward silence for a few seconds, and then she finally spoke, "I know when we last spoke you said you'd call me when you got back but..." another silence enveloped the room, I waited for her to finish, I had nothing to add to the narrative! "...Landon I want us to get to know each other, I've waited long enough for you to notice me and it's about time you gave me a chance to show you how good we can be together!" 

I stared into her eyes again, still no goosebumps or butterflies, she was Damian's kid sister! She was slightly older than me, but boy did she behave like a child! I never looked properly at her when I hung out with her brother, never really gave her a second glance rather than to say hey in passing. Maybe I would feel something if I did give her a chance, but right at that moment? It just was not happening! "Well? Come on Landon you're killing me here!" Her nervous smile did nothing for me, she was pretty and there was no denying that, but I didn't fancy her!

I got up and headed for the door again, "I gotta go Tabatha! I need a drink!" That was all I could find to say in response. I wanted out of there, I wanted to be as far away from HER as possible! This was MY trip, MY dream, my FANTASY!!!

But reality was proving to be very different, and it was sucking at that moment! My mouth was dry and my tongue felt like sandpaper, I needed out of there fast! The cantina was calling my name, and I wanted so badly to take my mind off of the situation and mingle with the locals.

But she followed me, her mother really should have told her that guys don't fall for stalkers! Guys do the chasing, guys are the hunters, we do the hunting we are not the prey! Dad chased mum, it was a bumpy ride but he caught her in the end! They were so in love, so happy and content with each other...

...I wanted that, but not with HER! Not right now! I was young, just fresh out of school and becoming a man! I needed to spread my wings, explore every path I came across, sow my wild oats or whatever! "You're getting on my nerves!" I muttered, she smiled weakly and in a shrill tone replied,
"At least I'm finally getting your attention!" Ugh, she was driving me to drink!

I headed inside and ordered some plasma juice. I needed to recharge and contemplate my predicament. She wandered around and drove me crazy, I just wanted some peace, why was she doing this to me? She knew this was my dream, why was she bursting my bubble? Did she honestly think I would appreciate her behaviour? Was she insane?

I was a little younger then, I was wet behind the ears and just had my heart broken! I had discovered I was the heir to my mother's legacy, I was Lord Smallwood and I had a duty to produce the future heir! All I wanted at that moment was some fun and adventure!

And SHE was sucking the life out of me on my first day here! Why couldn't she have waited until I got back? Why did she have to gatecrash my final moment of freedom???

Was I being unreasonable? Did I really want to do this alone? Maybe a companion to share the adventure with, someone to explore the tomb with when I finally found it? I wasn't a heartless cad, I had Vatore blood flowing through my veins, my dad's manners and his heart! I was a good person, I was raised that way!

So I invited her on my exploration. I wasn't feeling great about it, but she was grinning from ear to ear! "You understand that I'm not a a**hole, yeah? I'm only asking you along because it's the decent thing to do! I want us to be friends, for my sister's sake and for your brother's sake! We might have to dance at the wedding as best man and head bridesmaid or whatever, we need to try and behave like adults!"

"Landon, I just want to be in your company! Also I love adventure just as much as you! I'll prove to you that we are meant to be, you won't be disappointed!" My heart sank, but my smile remained. We stood at the gates, covered in roots and thorns, she looked at me with longing eyes and I instantly felt like I'd made a mistake!

As I headed to the noticeboard, I ordered her to stay put until I got the lowdown. But I soon learned that Tabatha Meade was impulsive, and she did not listen to anyone! She produced a machete out of nowhere and got to work on the briars!

"Do you ever listen to anyone?" I growled as she hacked away ferociously with a huge grin on her face.
"Nope!" Was all she answered, unapologetically.

"Where in the world did you get that bad boy?" Tabatha smirked and let out a smug chuckle.
"You mean you didn't stock up on essentials before we headed out?" I had to admit I did not! I was so stressed out over her appearance! I had my guidebook, I had all the preparations in my head, but Tabs arriving threw me!

She finally got through, but rather than feel that excitement over finally finding the elusive tomb, I felt a lead weight in my gut! This was NOT how I pictured this panning out! Tabatha skipped through without a second thought, as I stood on the spot feeling numb.

 Eventually I followed her through, she raised a hand and gave me a flirty wave. "So you decided to be a big, brave boy huh?"
"What's that supposed to mean?" I raised an eyebrow at her and her hand swiftly fell.
"I just...what took you so long?"

 "Tabatha I thought I made it perfectly clear! We are sharing this as acquaintances!" Her flushed cheeks and wide eyes made me regret my tone, but rather than growing on me, she was becoming even more irritating! She brushed past me and I heard her let out a huge breath...

 "It sure is beautiful!" She murmured, I turned to see what she was looking at, the view I had dreamed of since I hit puberty! When all the other guys in my class were having wet dreams over girls, I was fantasising about hacking my way through this jungle and standing on a spot like this looking out into the beautiful wilderness!

 "Yeah!" This was all I ever wanted! It really was exquisite! I looked at the rickety bridge and my heart fluttered, I could feel it for a bridge but not for a girl who clearly liked me. Was I still hung up on Mizuki? Nah, I just wasn't ready to jump into another relationship, especially not with Tabatha Meade!

 Suddenly she dropped down on her back and looked up at the stars! "Wow, I just want to lay here and bask for a minute!"
"Suit yourself, but I'm heading over that bridge! Later!"

 As I raced over it in anticipation, I heard her shuffling behind me and calling my name, "Landon, HEY! WAIT!"

 She caught up eventually, but I was engrossed in digging and honing my newly acquired archaeology skill! "Landon what are you doing???"
"I'm getting souvenirs, duh!" I couldn't help my hostility, she was pissing me off!

 "I didn't know you were into that kind of thing! It's sexy!" She began flirting again, but I jumped up and put an instant stop to it.
"Tabs enough!" Her face fell and she muttered a sorry as I gathered up my things and my new discoveries, and we moved on.

That machete of hers was coming in handy as we were met with yet another entrance full of vines.

 Well at least it was until she lost it in the bushes somewhere, never to be seen again! I took my frustration out on another dig I found. I couldn't wait to get back and analyse what I'd discovered.

 Tabatha was quiet for a while, she'd found a rock to assault. I liked it when she was silent, it was peaceful and it allowed me to enjoy my little adventure, albeit for a few moments.

 But bugs were becoming a problem, and the biggest bug, Tabatha, had spray because she PREPARED FOR THE TRIP! If I heard her say that one more time I was going to scream!

 But despite being attacked by angry bees and bitey bugs, I managed to make a new friend! No not Tabatha...

 George the lizard! There he was, perched on top of one of the ruins, bold as brass, enjoying the view! It made me laugh to myself, there was good in the world!

 Then we came across more vines, no machete this time, so Tabatha used an alternative method...

 ...I sometimes wondered if she was all there, as she clawed at the thorny vines with her bare hands I went looking for another dig to occupy my time! There was no point in telling her how stupid this was.

 She soldiered on, even stopping to swat some bugs away didn't deter her from her mission!

 She scraped and clawed away until she finally broke us through to the other side. The daylight was playing havoc with my sensitive vampire skin.

 We had found the tomb, but I needed to rest! I pitched the tent outside and was ready for a good sleep.

 Tabatha surveyed the tomb with longing, being human had it's advantages, especially when the sun cut my exploring short. Tabs had no such problem. "Promise me you won't go in there alone! Come inside the tent and we can have a rest, please?"
"Okay Landon, I promise!" She wouldn't look me in the face, and that troubled me.

 I was dead to the world as soon as my head hit the ground, but Tabatha was restless. She was hungry and her full bladder was making it hard for her to rest. I vaguely remembered her mumbling something about looking for a bush...

...so off she toddled to find it. I never imagined in a million years what would happen after that...

I soon learned that Tabatha Meade is stubborn, determined, forthright and extremely dangerous! I asked her to do one simple thing...well...NOT to do one simple thing if the truth be told...

...but Tabatha Meade decided to go back on her promise to me and enter the tomb all by herself! Now if she had been the experienced jungle enthusiast as she had assured me she was, she would have known not to just simply walk through an unmanned door in a very unique and sought after tomb!

Something just didn't feel right as I lay in our tent, trying to get as much rest as I needed before sunset. But I felt the urge to get up and look for Tabs, which for her was the best decision I had made during this whole trip of ours! I spotted my best friend's little sister burned to death on the floor of the tomb and the Grim Reaper standing over her about to claim her soul!

I did what any decent person would do, I begged for her life to be restored. Yes she was annoying, yes I wanted rid of her but not like this...no one deserved this! And Damian, he would be heartbroken over his baby sister's death, and I would have to break the news!

No Grim had to hear my plea, being a good friend of my mother's, he owed us! So I waited...

...and he did good on his promise. "Any child of Trixie Smallwood is a friend of mine!" Grim nodded and disappeared into the mists of time. Tabs looked at me with a bewildered expression,
"But...I died???" Yeah you stupid girl, and I cleaned up your mess for you! I wanted to say it, I wanted to tell her what a liability she was and that she was to go home and never speak to me again, but I just went with,
"Go get cleaned up!" My tone was obvious enough as I could see tears forming in her little blackened eyes. I did feel sorry for her, it must have been traumatic to say the least burning to death...but she brought it on herself!!!

I left her standing there stunned, I began my exploration and studied every single bit of this radiant, mysterious tomb. At least I was getting a bit of peace and quiet with her off to the showers for an hour or so!

"Oh wow, that is amazing! Is this ancient Inca?" A voice suddenly erupted from behind me, she was supposed to be showering!?!?
"WHAT are YOU doing here?" I gritted my teeth as she placed her hand on an engraved slab on the wall.
"Oh you know, helping you master the secrets of this tomb..." 
"NO!" I shrieked as she pushed in a piece of the slab and fire flew out in my direction...

"Oh sh*t, oh sh*t!" Was all I could cry as my skin burned, and this wasn't like the sun, no being burned by the sun was a tickle compared to this!!!

...and just when I thought Tabatha had run out on me, she came back to put me out! "Thank you!" I mumbled, I couldn't be bothered with fighting her, yeah she had caused my fire show, yes she could have killed me, but I was seeing a pattern here with this girl...

...she was an absolute klutz!!! "I'm sorry Landon, I...oh God!" She choked back a sob and her shoulders slumped as she looked down at the ground.
"I saw a pool over there, let's get cleaned up at least!" I couldn't scold her, she was just a clumsy, stupid young girl...who ruined my trip but hey!

We jumped into the nearby pool, but the smoke and the grime wasn't budging. I could see how miserable she was and my heart went out to her. Okay she'd ruined my trip, but she'd ruined her own too!

And it was at that moment, I had perfect clarity! I was never going to love this girl! Heck I barely even liked her! We were better off as her brother's best friend and sister like ships passing in the night.

I remember having such high hopes when she told me she liked me. I thought, yes this is going to be just what I need to forget Mizuki! I thought I'd maybe lose the old V and have some fun...perhaps even find true love! But nope!

I got out of the pool and left her swimming around trying desperately to clean herself...

...as I headed back to base!

I was dirty, I was tired, but most of all I was disheartened! I really wanted to like her because she was Damian's sister! I imagined how cool it would have been being brothers-in-law, having our kids be like full on cousins, but it just wasn't to be.

I hitched a ride back to the hostel leaving Tabatha Meade swirling around in an ancient pool trying to get clean without soap or hot water. And you know what? I slept like a baby!

I heard her come in eventually, she headed straight to the shower and I could hear her singing at the top of her lungs...still so annoying!!!

The next morning I was dreading going down to breakfast to see her. So I stayed upstairs and did some dark meditation to calm my nerves.

I had decided I was going back to that tomb, this time without HER! But I had to break that news to her and it wasn't going to be easy!

"So..." I began, she was munching down on a peanut butter and jam sandwich, something I had loved as a kid but now I was a fully grown vamp and food was no longer on the menu. "How did you sleep?"
"Get to the point Lord Smallwood!" She called me by my title, was she mad?

"Look..." A lump formed in my throat as I watched her chew slowly, trying not to cry, "...I'm going back to the tomb today..."
"I thought you might!" She nodded and gulped down the piece of sandwich she was chewing so meticulously.
"Alone!" There I said it!

She scraped her chair back loudly and stood up, "Good for you Lord Smallwood, and good luck!" She picked up her plate and headed back inside.

"Tabatha...don't be like this!" She called back to me, not even looking at me,
"It's fine Landon, really!"

I had mixed feelings, I was excited to be going back to the jungle and finally getting into that tomb...but I was also feeling bad for klutzy Tabatha Meade!

I stood at the entrance to the jungle with my heart pounding loudly. I was dying to get in there and find relics, treasure, anything!

And I met a new friend, Sammy the snake! He scuttled off when I tried to get near him, obviously he didn't want to be my friend!

I explored everywhere, even entrances Tabs and I hadn't found the first time around. It was tricky tearing vines with my bare hands, but despite a few cuts, it felt exhilarating!

I carefully made my way around the tomb, making decisions only when I had studied all the options in minute detail.

The hardest challenge were the skeletons. Yeah they were brutal, as I was soon to discover, but at that moment I was blissfully ignorant to the perils of the dead!

There were a few good digs down there, I uncovered tons of great relics to take back home and study! I couldn't wait to show mum what I'd found!

But then I had to get past the army of bones! I thought I'd studied them clearly enough to know which staff to pull to get through to the other side.

But I guess you need to be the ultimate archaeology expert to solve these puzzles! As I pulled what I thought was the correct staff a dart flew into my neck from nowhere...

...and suddenly I didn't feel very well at all! 

It took me several attempts to get through, but eventually I did and there were more puzzles and cryptic relics to overcome...

...and I must say befriending a live skeleton was...interesting to say the least!

Despite feeling lousy and finding some nasty pustules all over my face, I finally reached the last room in the tomb...

...and with it I found treasure! Loads of goodies to take home and show the family! Loads of things to analyse on my table!

I just had to get outta there, by then I was feeling ever so woozy and sick! I was sweating, I was feeling weak and my legs were like jelly! Just what the hell was in that dart???

When I got back into town I asked around about the mysterious green pus on my face. One girl looked at me and grimaced! "Uh-oh!" She muttered.
"What? What do you mean by...what uh-oh?"

"You got hit by an ancient dart yes?"
"Yeah, why? Is it bad?"
"You've been poisoned, you've got three days to find an antidote or..."
"Or what???"

She looked at me with a sympathetic smile and simply replied, "You will die!"

I was feeling even more lousy as I dragged my carcass back to the hostel and slept my life away. I had no idea where I was going to find the antidote, or who to ask for it! I was in so much trouble, I had no energy to save my own life! I was gonna die here in Selvadorado! All because I wanted to go it alone, without Tabatha the klutz! Well who was the klutz now???

In my poisoned stupor, I heard footsteps and a voice next to my bed, "Hold on Landon!"

"Oh my God I hope this works!!!"

I awoke feeling amazing! The poison was gone! As I stood at the bottom of the stairs, a little figure sat nervously tapping her fingers on her thighs. A huge smile spread across her face as she clapped eyes on me, "Oh thank God it worked!"

"So..." I mumbled sheepishly as I sat beside her.
"So..."

"Thanks for saving my life, again!"
"Oh Landon, I'm so glad it worked, I thought they were leading me a merry dance with that drink but..."
"Who?" Tabatha smiled and looked me in the eyes, still no butterflies but hey!

"When I found you..." She began, but as she gulped down a lump in her throat I saw those green eyes start to water.

"Your face, your skin...you were burning up and I mean like you were on fire again! I didn't know what to do so I ran into the village and tried to find some locals..."

"I found a brother and sister, they were experts in potions and diseases. I described your condition and that you'd just returned from the tomb. They knew right away what was wrong and gave me what they insisted was the antidote..."

"...so I ran back here and forced it down your throat, hoping for the best! At least if you died I would know I'd tried! But here you are, as right as rain!" I nodded and smiled as a tear ran down her pale cheek.
"Yep, you saved me! I can't ever thank you enough Tabs...really!" She smiled back and wiped the tear away softly as I got up to go and pack.

"Let's head home eh?" I winked at her, she seemed unsure.
"On the same plane?" She mumbled and gave me a wary look.
"Yeah course! Come on let's pack!"

"Okay I'll be right up!" She beamed, I headed upstairs but as I stood at the top I looked back at her...

...and I don't know if her sadness was due to what she'd experienced over the last 24 hours, or if it was due to me not returning her feelings! Either way, my heart felt for her, I wasn't a monster, I did feel bad that I couldn't love her back!

Before we left, I had a go at uncovering some artifacts as Tabs insisted on cooking us something to eat so our bellies would be full on the plane home.

My first discovery was gorgeous...and authentic! I couldn't wait to show everyone back home what wonders Selvadorado had hidden in the ground!

Unfortunately Tabatha's task didn't end as well, she caught fire by the stove and I had to put her out...again!

She didn't take too kindly to me laughing, but what were the chances of this happening again? Yeah Tabatha Meade was well and truly clumsy!

We arrived home as the sun was blazing down upon Forgotten Hollow. Tabatha smiled sadly at me knowing that her attempt to conquer me was for naught.

I braved the sun for a selfie and a hug, I owed the girl that much at least. She wanted to remember our trip despite it not exactly being what either of us expected.

"So I'll see you around!" I saluted her and headed inside before I got third degree burns.
"Yeah...you will!" I could see the sadness, but it would be worse if I led the girl on...

...better for her to know how I felt now rather than lie to her and use her. That was not my style, never was and never will be! If I love you...I say it! And if I don't love you...same!

I left her on the street, I knew she was weeping, I could hear her little sobs as I ascended the stairs to Wolfsbane Manor and entered my home.

It was kinda quiet, "HELLLLLOOOOOO?" Too quiet! "MUM? DAD?"

As I took a load off my mother entered the room in a rather racy piece of lingerie. "Mum!"
"Oh!" She muttered and almost blushed, "Landy! You're home!"
"Yeah, I take it you two weren't expecting me huh?" I chuckled, it seemed that they had taken my advice and made the most of being alone for the first time.

"Um..." She muttered as a voice from upstairs called down in a sing song tone,
"OH MRS VATORE!!! WHERE HAVE YOU DISAPPEARED TO LITTLE MINX!"
"Ah..." my mother did actually blush this time, my father was waiting upstairs for her.
"So Mrs Vatore eh?" I winked at her.
"Yes, I have taken your father's last name now that you are the Smallwood heir."
"Great, I bet dad is chuffed to bits!"
"Yes, he rather is!" My mum smiled, oh how in love my parents were. It almost made me jealous!
"Well I'd best..." She nodded towards the stairs, "...it's so good to have you home my darling!" she gushed, and disappeared in a cloud of mist to join my dad.

It was good to be home, I had seen my beloved Selvadorado, but something was missing! I wanted what my parents had, I wanted to love and be loved! I knew there and then that Tabs wasn't the one, but she was out there, my future wife, I just had to find her!

TO BE CONTINUED...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)