Thursday 5 September 2013

Love Drunk: Chapter Thirty Three

Last time Dexter announced his engagement to his friends and family as Lainie's little heart ached. Torn between Jenna and his freckles, he felt he had to choose and take his brother's advice, draw a line under the past and embrace the future. Fighting with Lainie was a horrible experience, but can they truly be friends? Is Jenna really the one for our Dexy? But all that was irrelevant as Lainie finally came face to face with the person responsible for the fire in her diner!



"Liv???" Lainie's mouth grew dry as her heart raced.
"Hey little sis!" She replied sadly.
"Why? Why would you do this? I nearly died! Ashton nearly died saving me! How could you???" Liv sighed and hung her head.


"You weren't supposed to be in there! I didn't know!"
"That still doesn't explain..." Liv cut in shrilly,
"You have EVERYTHING! I have NOTHING! You've got that Dexter running around after you like a lost puppy, his brother wouldn't even give me the time of day! He'd rather be with that little girl!" she turned up her lip in disgust.


"Liv, my diner!"
"Yeah, sucks to be you right now huh?"
"You set it on fire, I can't even re-build it, the insurance company won't pay out! What you did was evil!" Lainie felt the hot tears fall down her cheek as she struggled with her anger.


"What Alex did!" Liv corrected her.
"What?"
"Oh he'll do anything for me now you're all over that Dexter. Especially after I threatened to tell him about our steamy, sordid affair when you two were at Uni!"
"You?" Lainie gasped.
"Yes me!" she laughed bitterly.


"And even then he loved YOU! I was just his bit on the side! I told him that if he really wanted revenge on Dexter and you, then burning down your diner would be the best way to do it! Your pride and joy, his hard work! Voila!" she took a little bow and began to weep.


"I never meant to hurt you Evie! And I never thought that Alex would seriously do it!"
"Liv..."
"And Ashton!" she closed her eyes and her lips trembled, "Ohhh me and my big mouth!"
"Liv, do you really hate me that much?"
"YES!" she shrieked.


"I hate you!" she spat, then sobbing she added "I love you!"


"You have Alex and Dexter fighting over you! You've got a baby! I have none of these things! You were always the cute, pretty little sister with the chipmunk cheeks and the button nose! I was the big sister with the gangly legs and the nose like a boxer!"
"Liv, you're beautiful, smart, confident..." Liv shook her head angrily.


"No Evelyn! You were always the special one! Mum and dad dote on you!"
"Not any more I'm sure! Not now you've told them about my baby and my loose conduct with two men. I bet you had a field day telling them what a bad little girl I was! No wonder they haven't been to meet their grandchild!"


Liv smiled sadly once more and whispered, "I didn't tell them! They don't know!"
"They don't know about Keira?"
"You called her Keira?" Liv's eyes grew wide.
"Her father named her!" Lainie nodded.


"How is the dashing Dexter Maloney?"
"Engaged!"
"Oh, congratulations!" she wiped her face roughly.
"No, not to me! He's with someone else so you see...I don't have everything! I don't have HIM!"
"Oh yes you do!" Liv replied, "You will always have him! You own his heart forever and ever!"


Lainie shook her head, "Liv, you do realise I'll have to tell the police..."
"Yes, and you should!" she looked Lainie in the eyes, "I deserve to be punished!"


Liv smiled, looked away and said "So go on then little sis! Have me arrested!"


As Lainie stood on the spot, unsure of what to do!


Two months had almost flown by and the wedding was now in two weeks. Jenna had asked Lainie, Roxy, Erin and Charlotte to be her bridesmaids and they had all accepted. Dexter couldn't choose between his brother and best friend so he was going to have a best man and a ring bearer. Lainie had accepted Dexter's engagement to Jenna. She had other things on her mind, like her sister's involvement in the diner fire. That night she did call the police...but she dropped Alex Wilder right in it! She couldn't bring herself to mention Liv! In return, Liv told their parents about Keira.


Sadie and Gordon Robertson arrived on Lainie's doorstep within hours to meet their granddaughter...


...and to meet Dexter too! In fact they'd stopped by at least three times a week since, despite the distance!

When she first met the father of her grandchild, Sadie knew that he and her youngest daughter were soul mates! Her thoughts became even more justified as she got to know Dexter and saw him with her daughter and granddaughter. As she kissed Keira in her crib she took the chance to talk to Lainie while they were alone. "Evie darling?"
"Yes mum?"
"You do know that boy is in love with you?" She smirked.

Lainie gave her a puzzled frown, "What boy mum?"
"Oh come on, Dexter!"
"Mum he's getting married in two weeks to another woman!" She shook her head as her mother laughed.

"But he loves YOU Evie!" She faced her daughter. "He wants to be with you, he's just settling for the next best thing!"
"And how do you know that?" Lainie sighed at her mother.
"Because when he looks at you, it's like the rest of us don't exist. There's just you...and this little angel right here!" She looked down at Keira and grinned.

"Well it's too late now, he chose her!"
"No honey, he SETTLED for her!" Lainie grew impatient and grunted,
"What's the difference?"
"Evelyn, if he marries this girl? It will all end in tears! I assure you, she's not you and he will realise it and it will be messy!"

Sadie's words stuck with Lainie as she watched Dexter take their daughter for the night. She was alone in her flat while Roxy was over at 9b with Matthew. That lovely guy who gave her £23,000 to get her diner back on track! Roxy and Matthew were getting along very well since he gave Lainie the money to restore her diner but she insisted on paying him back, however long it took. The grand re-opening was in the morning and Dexter had painted some nice pictures to put on the walls.


Roxy was beginning to see Matthew in a different light, despite his wealthy background, his father had insisted he start at the bottom of the company and work his way up. He did not make it easy for his son! Even favouring Graham over him for the CEO position. Matthew had since quit the company and opened a little shop where he sold memorabilia and comics. As he watched Roxy model her bridesmaid dress and growl at it, he couldn't help but laugh...

...she was gorgeous! No matter how silly she felt in that dress, he thought she looked like a princess! Roxy found the wedding an inconvenience, she had better things to do with her time! Like be with Matthew! As he held her hands and gave her a cheeky grin declaring her "The most beautiful bridesmaid in the whole of Moonlight Falls...and beyond!" she wanted to kiss him! As soon as this stupid wedding was over, she was going to do just that!


And Charlotte was finding the whole wedding situation rather stressful. It had brought back memories of her own wedding and how happy and naive she was at the time. 


Drew was making hints about how exciting it all was and how happy Dex and Jenna seemed, but Charlotte didn't share his enthusiasm. She couldn't wait for it all to be over.


As Dexter put his daughter to bed that night, he was finally feeling confident about the whole thing. He and Jenna had become closer over the past couple of months and her relationship with Keira made him love her even more.


Jenna was a natural with his daughter, he couldn't wait to start a family with her and give his Kee Bee a baby brother or sister. He just hoped she felt the same. "Jen?"
"Yes Dex?"
"You do want kids, right?" There was a long pause as Dexter's heart began to race.


"Eventually, yes of course I do! Why? Don't you?" She gave him a worried look.
"More than anything I wanna have a baby with you...or two!" He smiled cheekily, "Or three or four!"


"Let's just get the wedding out of the way mister! Then we can concentrate on adding to our little family. Besides you don't want Keira to feel left out." Dex was confused by this remark.
"What do you mean?" he asked her as he pulled her into his arms.


"Well you know, if we have our own children, she'll be a half sister and...oh I don't know what I'm trying to say I just mean...I want her to feel she is just as special to us as our own babies will be!" Dex kissed her suddenly on the lips.


"What was that for?" She laughed in surprise as she tried to catch her breath.


"Just because!" He grinned, "Just because you're amazing and I'm the luckiest guy in the world!" Dexter never imagined he could ever be this happy with anyone other than Lainie...but he was, he finally was!

Ashton and Erin were still getting used to being with each other day in, day out! Their flat was nice, it was in the same building  as the rest of the gang, next door to Matthew.


Erin loved her big hunky fireman! She loved getting up in the morning and fixing him breakfast before he had to head out! Today was Lainie's grand re-opening and Erin had the day off while Ash was on-call. She promised to be there for Lainie on Ashton's behalf. As he wolfed down his waffles, almost late again thanks to his naughty girlfriend, what was really bothering him was his brother's upcoming wedding!


He just didn't think it was the right thing to do. No matter how hard he tried to accept it, he couldn't! Especially as it came right in the middle of the band recording their debut album! As Erin took his plate away he grabbed her hand, "Babe, can I have a hug?" Erin nodded and put down the plate.


As they hugged in the middle of the room, Erin knew what was eating her boyfriend. "Ash, Dex needs to make his own mistakes! You can't always be there to catch him when he falls! He needs to get back up by himself!"
"I know, but...this wedding!"


Erin looked him in the eyes, "This wedding is not your concern! Now go to work, you're going to be late!"


He stole a kiss from her and ran out the door...

...as she stood and sighed, she agreed with Ash. This wedding was bad news!

The new diner was gorgeous! Lainie had professional fitters in this time to get the job done as everyone else was busy with their everyday lives. The kitchen at the back was unaffected luckily, all that needed re-done was the dining area.


Erin stayed all day and chatted, cleaned, flipped pancakes, made ice cream...Lainie figured she got lonely when Ash was at work. She was a sweet young girl who clearly loved him to bits! She envied their happiness, but she was also glad that Ash had someone, he was the most amazing guy she'd ever met...


...next to Dexter! He and Jenna were smooching in the diner with Keira in a high chair as Lainie, Erin and Roxy cleared up and closed for the day. It was 4pm and quiet. Jenna looked over and smiled at Lainie, she wanted to hate her! But having got to know her over the past couple of months she couldn't...


...Jenna Riley was a genuinely nice girl! As she headed over to her, Lainie blushed and put her head down, "Lainie?"
"Yeah?" she still kept her head down.


"I was wondering...I don't really have many girl friends, my family all live in Sunset Valley..." where was this going?
"What's up?"
"Well, the bridal shop doesn't close until 7pm and I really need some advice! I can't choose between two dresses and...would you help me choose?" Lainie's heart sank.
"Sure!" she tried to sound cheery.


"Great!" she giggled, sounding relieved. "And you can try on your dress finally! I hope you like it!"
"Yeah I'm sure I will!" Lainie smiled as Dex approached them with Keira in his arms.


"You girls have fun!" he grinned wickedly.
"Fun?" Lainie blinked.
"Yeah, bridal shops! Wooooo!" he chuckled and left them alone.


Jenna giggled a little too, "He's all excited because he's getting to record his songs! The album is coming along pretty well and he's on a permanent high!"


"I'm so glad they finally got a record deal! I know Roxy is kinda excited and nervous at the same time!" Lainie smiled to herself, things were going well for Roxy in her love life and in her extracurricular activities!


Lainie really didn't want to go to the bridal shop, but she knew it would look bad if she refused. And as for her dress?


Lainie had to admit, her bridesmaid dress was lovely! Jenna had really picked the best for her, and she wondered why...as Jenna looked in the mirror surveying the second dress she liked, Lainie found her rather enchanting! Her green eyes sparkled as she twirled and turned...


"Do you like this one?" Jenna asked her, sounding almost desperate for her approval.
"I do, it's better than the last one. Not that it was bad...you just...glow in this one!"
"Aww thank you!" Jenna's voice cracked with emotion as Lainie praised her dress.


"I wanted to ask you something Lainie!"
"Yes?"
"Will you be my maid of honour?" Lainie struggled for breath.
"I..."
"Because I really feel we get along better than I do with the others. Roxy is nice but kinda...fierce? And Erin might be my sister-in-law some day but...she's young and temperamental! You're just...well you've been so kind to me..." Lainie butted in,
"I'd love to!" she gave her one of those fake smiles she had perfected so well lately.


"Oh that's wonderful!" Jenna gushed. "I really do like you Lainie, I can see what Dexter loves about you!"
"Oh let's not talk about the groom when he's not here to defend himself!" Lainie joked, but Jenna's face grew serious.


"I just...well I wanted to talk to you about Dex!"
"Why?" This was a talk she DID NOT want!
"Well..."


"...I'm not sure I understand your relationship! Dex tells me you two were close and...from the looks of it you still are! I know how he feels about you, but...how do you feel about him? What was going on before I came along?"


"Oh nothing, we were just two very good friends who got drunk and ended up in a broken lift one night, that's all!"
"Do you love Dex?" the question came out of the blue and hit her for six! So she answered truthfully, Jenna deserved that much,
"Of course I love him Jenna, he's the father of my daughter! We have a bond!"


"I see, how do you feel about him marrying me?" she studied Lainie's face as that fake smile re-appeared.
"I'm very happy for you both and I know you'll make a wonderful husband and wife! Keira can't wait to have a brother!"


Jenna smiled back, but she knew the truth! It was written all over her face and it lay in her big blue eyes! Lainie was the mother of his daughter, she was madly in love with Dexter Maloney, she always had been...


...and always would be!


This information she had gathered made Jenna come to a decision. As she called round to see her fiance that evening, she knew what she had to do!


"I...this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do! But it's the right thing to do!"
"What are you talking about Jen?" Dex laughed nervously.
Jenna took a deep breath and just came out with what she had to say, "I'm breaking up with you Dex!" Dexter's happy face transformed into a look of utter horror.


"Wha...what did I do wrong? Why...where the heck did this come from? We were perfectly happy this morning...until...LAINIE!"
"You don't love me!"
"I do, I do love you Jen!!!"

"You're not over her!" She replied sadly.
"Oh not this again!" He snapped impatiently.
"Yes Dex, this again! Because it is a major issue!"
"No, no it isn't! Why is everyone making it an issue???"

"Oh Dex, you're so in love with her you can't even see it! You have a daughter together, it means something! I see the way she looks at you, and the way you look at her! Secret signals bouncing off of each other!"
"What did she say to you? Did she say something? What happened at the bridal shop???" Jenna sniffed back the tears,
"I had an epiphany! It's over Dexter!"


Jenna turned to leave when Dexter suddenly spun her around, 'No, please Jen don't do this! I'm over her, I'm totally over her!"
"You're not Dex, you never will be! She's the only woman in your heart."
"No she isn't! I love YOU Jen! I love YOU with ALL of my heart!"


Jenna smiled sadly, "Oh sweetie! I know deep down in your own way you do, but you love her more! And there is no room for both of us in there! It'll burst with all the strain! She's the one you truly want, it's always been her...I see that now and I won't be your rebound girl! She's the mother of your first born Dexter, how can I even compete with that?" Dexter felt the hot tears sting his eyes.


"Jen..." he whispered and tried to grab hold of her as she stepped away from him.


"Goodbye Dexter Maloney. It's been fun!" she smiled again, and was gone...


...Dexter stood in his empty flat, tears blinding him and his heart threatening to stop beating any moment. As Jenna Riley walked out of his life for good!


Poor Dexy! So it was Jenna who ended it? Did you expect that? Or were you really expecting a wedding? ;) Now what is to become of Laixter now that Jexter is dead and buried? O.o

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad they are over (cuz i'm evil like that) but my heart aches for them both.... Jenna is a really good person, even if i don't like her! I hope Dexter doesn't run away or something foolish in the next chapter.... He can't leave Kee Bee! >.> and he can't take her with him either! lol. here's hoping everything starts to work out..... wonderful chapter as always. The diner looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jenna, I am truly impressed o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sob :( Poor Jenna :( Hmm is the venue still booked? Maybe we could persuade one of the other couples to tie the knot ;) Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that's one great idea Tru ;) Although I'm so sad for Jenna now... wow such a wise brave girl she is! I didn't expect that ... and I was really expecting the wedding!! :D I thought they would get married and Dexy&Laine would get together only at old age or something XD But I'm way happier with this ;) Although I would have never thought I would feel for Jenna...I hope she meets one wonderful guy :) And on the other hand...Dexy's reaction to all this frightens me a bit...mmm...not sure of what he'll do... awsome chapter :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)