Sunday 3 August 2014

These Twin Souls: Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
A Tangled Web

Ben had a tantrum that lasted a whole fifteen minutes until he realised he was being childish. He had a reason to be pissed off with me, of course he did! I'd promised a take-out and some quality time with his big brother, something he had been lacking this summer since Verona and I made up. Which made me think of her, what exactly did I hope to achieve with all of this? I didn't do too well around weeping women, which is probably why I did what I did! "Are you constantly led by your dick these days Ry?" he knew that wasn't me, he knew I was never like that and I wouldn't suddenly change now.
"You know that's not true Ben!" I shook my head at him, disappointed that he even suggested it.
"Well why are all these women coming before me? Huh? Before US???" I grabbed hold of him and pulled him in for a rough hug as he struggled. "Geez you stink of aftershave!" he complained and pushed me away. "I hope she's worth it!" he spat and left me in my room to think about the mess I had made. My phone rang in my jacket pocket, it was Verona, how I was going to explain this situation was anybody's guess!
"Hey handsome!" she purred, and I felt lousy.
"Hey there! Listen now is not a good time I have an appointment tonight so..." I heard her sigh sadly, then she seemed to recover and accept my apologies.
"No probs Ry, let's go for a picnic tomorrow if it stays dry okay?"

As I sat at the table looking over at Natalie who was glugging down the wine like it was going out of fashion and talking nonstop about everything under the sun, I realised why I'd never gone out with her before and what a great idea that was compared to this one. "I really appreciate you bringing me here Ryan, I knew you'd see sense eventually! Oh we're going to have so much fun you and me!" as she rambled I came to the conclusion that she thought we were an item now. Oh what a tangled web we weave.
"Natalie, we're just friends. No more and no less okay? I just wanted to cheer you up, that's all!" her face fell and she looked at the table.
"I know, but a girl can dream!" she mumbled, then stood up abruptly, "Thanks for dinner Ryan, it's been fun!" she smiled weakly at me and left me sitting there like an idiot.
"Sure!" I muttered as all eyes were on me and my winning ways with women, "No problem!" At least Verona would never know...

I never realised my brother could be so spiteful until I arrived home and saw Verona sitting on the stairs in tears. "What's going on Ry?" she wailed and shot up towards me, pounding my chest with her tiny fists. I stood back and allowed the pummelling, I deserved it after all.
"Verona, I only took Natalie out for dinner to cheer her up. No more, no less!"
"She's in love with you, you idiot!" Verona looked up at me with anger in her watery blue eyes.
"I know, I'm an idiot! You're right! But hey, I'm still learning, I'm just a guy after all!" I laughed softly and wrapped my arms around her as she buried her head in my freshly bruised chest. I kissed the top of her head and thought about Gail, how she was coping right now after losing her much wanted baby boy, how I should be with her over anyone else. How did I get myself in these situations? Because I was a sap! Verona mumbled something into my chest and I had to ask her to repeat it.
"I said..." she looked up at me and frowned, "...take me to bed!" My heart stopped and I felt sweat beads form on my forehead.
"No Verona!" I pushed her away and left her in the hall. She followed me into the kitchen as I leaned over the sink, feeling very sick.
"You and me Ry! It's destiny!" she put her arms around my waist and pulled me towards her, planting kisses on my shoulder blades.
"I spent years loving you, years that you took advantage of, years I wasted when I could have been with someone else. Someone like Gail!"
"Ry, don't say these things. I was young and stupid. I know that now. You're the one!"

Saying no to Verona was becoming easier every day. I wasn't sure if I loved her anymore. Natalie was upset with me, understandably. I tried to explain that I was only trying to be her friend, it didn't wash! And when I arrived home that night to a less than welcoming Ben, I wanted to go and hide under the covers in my bed for a long, long time. "I'm sorry Benjo!" I called my brother by his pet name as he sat watching the t.v. but he just got angrier.
"No Ry you're not! You know, I think you like being in awkward situations, I'm thinking it gives you a kick...a weird sexual gratification!"
"Ben..." he shot up from the couch and faced me up, our foreheads touching.
"Shut up!" he muttered as his breathing grew heavier and faster, "This ends now, you choose! Gail, Natalie or Verona! You're nearly thirty three years old Ry! Grow the f*ck up!!!" he smacked his forehead against mine and left me standing alone, with a very sore head and lots to think about.

He was right, my wise little brother. I was just floating around in limbo, juggling between women and even bringing poor Natalie into the mix. I had to decide who I wanted to be with. As I lay on my bed thinking of Verona and how much I had loved her in the past, I wondered if I still had that fire burning inside my heart for her...or had Gail put it out? When Gary told me the next day that the new garage on the outskirts of town needed one of us to run it, I jumped at the chance. It would be quite a distance to travel but I could afford to buy a little flat now, I saw this as the break I needed from Natalie, but more importantly the ever clingy Verona. Time to face up to my feelings, figure out who and what I wanted without any distractions. Ben was all for me going, "Because I love you Ry, not because I want you to leave me here. Besides, I have my second year starting in a month!" he was a great kid, not a kid anymore it seemed. More grown up than his older brother for sure, secure with Jade, he knew exactly what and who he wanted...how did that feel? When I broke the news to Verona, she cried.
"So you're going to just go, just like that?" she sobbed, "When?"
"Next week, the garage opens next week. I'm thinking of heading over there on Monday."
"But this is Friday!!!" she wept, her eyes full of sadness. "I have TWO DAYS?" I looked at her, trying to work out what she meant, but failing.
"For what?" I shook my head in confusion.
"For what he says!" she scoffed and wiped her face roughly. "I have two days left to spend with you, two days to prove to you that we're twin souls!" My breath caught in my throat, where did she get that from? That was my name for us!!! How did she know...

My flat was modest, it had everything I needed plus a few little luxury items. Verona came to inspect it that Saturday morning. "It's small!" she wrinkled her nose. "What if I stay over? Where will we sleep?" WE??? I had no bedroom, it was true, but I planned to just buy a fold-down couch.
"Um, Verona? No one is sleeping here except me!" I told her, in a more stern tone than I intended. She pouted sadly, she wasn't letting me go that easily I could tell. The whole idea of me living here was to get away from her and everything that was making me miserable.
"Ry..." she mumbled and crossed the empty room towards me, "...make love to me?" Was she crazy???
"What?" I spluttered and stepped away from her.
"To say goodbye?" she batted her eyes at me and I felt dizzy.
"Stop playing with my feelings Verona! I've had it with these games!" I replied shrilly and edged out of the corner she'd put me in, I headed towards the door as she began weeping uncontrollably, what the hell now??? "Don't cry!" I groaned and made my way towards her, about to put my arms around her and comfort her, she reciprocated and for the first time in a long time, I felt comfortable with her! We stood in that empty room with our arms entwined, in silence...and it felt good! My actions after that were questionable to say the least, yes I made love to her, yes we lay there on the floor for what felt like hours. Was I saying goodbye or was I paving the way for a future with Verona? I really wasn't sure, all I knew at that moment was it felt wonderful to be so close to her again, and on my own terms!

Verona promised not to visit while I was working and I agreed to come home at the weekends. I wasn't sure what we were, a couple or just friends with benefits, but whatever it was I was happy. The fact that she had used the exact words for us that I had since she was born, it made me think that perhaps she was the one after all. I'd never told her she was my twin soul, I never told anyone I thought that, it was fate! Gail called me a few times just to catch up, she and Gerry had gotten back together. I was happy for her, I hoped she knew what she was doing. Ben went back to university and I'd been at the new garage for five weeks, I had seen Verona every Friday to Sunday and we were behaving like a pair of hormonal teenagers. I didn't know if she considered me as her boyfriend or not, but I was having fun with her, whether or not she saw it as a relationship was her little secret as she kept her feelings and thoughts well hidden from me. I sensed it was to punish me for turning away from her, for finding Gail and focusing my affection on her instead of my sweet Verona. Friday came round again and as I drew up at my drive, she was sitting on my front step like she always was. And when I got out of my car, she ran to me and jumped into my arms, like she always did! What would Denny think of us? His best friend and his little sister going at it like rabbits. I never did tell him about the night she came to my room and I took what was most precious to her, he did know I was besotted with her though...he always knew that! I carried her into the hallway but didn't manage to put her down before she started smothering me with kisses. "I missed you!" she mumbled in between sucking at my face, "Missed you so much!"
"Verona!" I protested, but she just giggled and slid out of my arms. Tearing off my jacket, then my t-shirt, working her way down.
"Come see how much I missed you Ry!" she whimpered and pulled me by the belt buckle into the living room, obviously there was no time to ascend the stairs! I pulled away from her as she plopped down onto the sofa and began unbuttoning her white blouse, biting her lip the way she did...it drove me crazy and this would be hard to resist.
"Verona, I'm tired. I'm sorry can we do this...another time?" her face fell and she huffed.
"Ry!" she let out a frustrated groan and stood up to face me. Kissing my face ferociously once again. "We could go and lie on your bed and when you feel less tired we..."
"Verona!" I laughed as her breath tickled my cheek. "Why don't we get pizza, watch some t.v. and then...I dunno...talk?" I shrugged and gave her a sympathetic smile. I wanted to know that this wasn't just physical what we had, that we could be friends too! Soul mates even!
"Okay!" she nodded as I gathered up my t-shirt and went to order her pepperoni that she loved so much.

As we sat eating our pizza and watching some weird supernatural drama Verona liked, all I could think of was sleeping in my old bed, no sex, no Verona, just me! But I could tell by the way she had undressed and put on one of my old t-shirts that she was here for the night. Sitting on the floor picking the pepperoni off the pizza and stacking them up before shoving them in her mouth and making a load of "Mmmmmm" noises. I stood up and headed for the door.
"I'm off to bed okay? I really am very tired!"
"Old man!" she muttered then let out a giggle.
"Hey, less of the old! I'm only eight years ahead of you girly!" I laughed back at her, she rubbed her hands together and turned off the t.v., making her way out to follow me upstairs. "Where are you off to?" I raised my eyebrow curiously at her.
"Bed, with you, my boo!" she wrapped her arms around my neck and rubbed her lips against mine, the pepperoni stinging my skin. I hated it, I was more of a plain cheese guy. But the taste found it's way into my mouth and I fought the urge to gag.
"Verona..." I began as she pouted at me and put her hand down my jeans, my eyes nearly popped out of my head as she grabbed me right there. "VERONA!" I shouted, but secretly I liked it, that wasn't the point though.
"Ry!" she whispered as I managed to pry her hand out.
"Come on then!" I gave in and took her by the hand. "But we're sleeping! No funny business!" she giggled again and as we went upstairs she slapped me on the backside...hard! I lay in bed with my beloved Verona, she insisted on sleeping nude to get me worked up, I knew what she was up to. She pressed herself against my back as we spooned together. I loved her! I still loved her with all of my heart and soul. "Marry me!" I blurted out as she squeezed my waist and rubbed her lips across my shoulder blades. At least ten minutes dragged by before she finally spoke,
"Yes!" she mumbled in her sweet voice, and I drifted off to sleep. Feeling her naked frame against me as I imagined her in a white gown in front of all of our family and friends, becoming Mrs Verona Jensen! I was finally going to have my sweet Verona all to myself!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)