Friday 10 August 2018

The Broken Ones: Chapter Six

Chapter Six: Twists & Turns

(Adam)
I didn't get a wink of sleep all night! I'd run out of Sarah's house so fast, I just couldn't listen to the misery I had caused a moment longer! They were going to start a family, until I...although all the evidence stated that John Wallace was killed by someone driving a red Nissan Juke, I wondered if Ali's photographic memory had failed her. I was convinced it was me. I recognised John, I'd had a dream about Mark, maybe my mind was the one that had failed me? But it all felt so real, and why was Ali the only one to mention the make and colour of the car?


I decided to call Sarah, a text was just too cowardly! She answered on the second ring, "Adam?"
"Yes, hi! Look I owe you an apology..."
"No no no, it was my fault I..." Was she for real?
"Sarah no! Let me explain..."
"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. Our evening was going so well."


"Sarah it's me who should be sorry, I just felt so bad for you and I reacted badly too! Can we start again? Can I take you out for lunch?" 


There was a long silence on the other end, until finally,
"That would be lovely Adam, and I promise not to burst into tears!" I heard a small laugh from her.


She took my apology so well, I truly thought I'd lost her. I jumped into the shower and thought about what I was going to wear, when there was a hard knock on my door.


I wrapped a towel around my waist and answered the door. I stood in shock over the scene that was there to greet me...

...Holly Thorne, my ex-fiancee! Heavily pregnant! "Hello Adam!" She greeted me sheepishly, "Can I come in?"

(Sarah)
I tried on numerous outfits, I was so nervous! I had another chance with Adam, and this time there would be no talk of John or the past! Lunch with Adam, I could hardly believe it! I'd cried myself to sleep last night, and this time not over John, our evening was going so well and I spoiled it!

Adam said he would pick me up at 12pm, it was now 12:32! I'd phoned him, texted him, no answer! Perhaps he'd got cold feet? Had I ruined everything after all? I was sad at first, but then the anger boiled up inside me, this was the second time he'd stood me up, only the last time he had the decency to text and cancel our appointment...this time he couldn't even answer his phone!

I should really have taken this as a sign...possibly from John...that I wasn't meant to have anything with Adam Masters, we always failed.

(Adam)
Holly waited for me as I went to put on some clothes. She stood in my living room with an extremely swollen belly. "So..." Was all I could find to say, "...what do you want Holly?"


"I'd have thought that was obvious!" She replied quietly.
"No Holly, it isn't! Last time I checked you had Billy's dick inside you not mine!"
"Adam!" She gasped, yeah like she was so innocent and pure!

"I don't have time for this, I have somewhere I need to be!" Holly began to weep and threw herself down on my couch. "No waterworks please, go home to Billy!"
"I can't!" She cried.
"Why not?"
"Because he dumped me!"
"Not my problem!" I turned my back on her and she started to wail.


"Please Adam, for our baby!" Oh no, no fucking way! I couldn't even look at her, she really wanted to play me like this???
"OUR baby?" I growled.
"Yes!" Seriously? I clenched my fists and finally turned to face her.


"Holly, you were fucking someone else for God knows how long behind my back! How could you possibly fucking know that I'm the father of your baby?" She held my gaze for a long time, she truly believed it!
"It's yours Adam!"
"HOW.DO.YOU.KNOW???" I repeated, much louder than before. She didn't answer me, she didn't know what to say, she was so playing me!


"It's 50/50!" She finally replied. "So you're in with a chance...daddy!" Oh fuck, don't call me that, Jesus fucking Christ!!! Please let it be Billy's!
"Well, I hope not!" I muttered, I checked the clock on the wall, SHIT!


"I really have to go, let yourself out!" And I left her there, I didn't care if she ransacked the place and robbed me blind, I had stood Sarah up! I had to get out of there!

I'd had several missed calls and texts from Sarah, how the hell was I going to get out of this one? I decided to go for the truth for a change. I knocked on her door and called her name. "Sarah? Sarah I am so sorry, please let me explain!"

She opened the door and stared at me. "Oh Sarah, God I'm sorry I'm so late! I've just had the biggest shock of my life, well second biggest but this one is a result of the first...and I'm rambling! Please, can I come in and explain?" She stared even longer, then finally let me in.

"You stood me up!" She mumbled.
"I know, I..."
"You ignored my calls, my texts!" She was angry! Oh shit, she was furious! She was adorable, her dress...but she was furious!
"Holly turned up, my ex!"


"Oh...I see!" And now she looked hurt!
"No, you really don't! That creep of an ex best friend of mine has gone and dumped her, she's at least eight months pregnant and she's trying to tell me it's mine!" 
"Is it?" She stared me down.
"What?"
"Yours!"
"You want the truth?"
"That would be nice!" She was eerily quiet and calm.


"It could be, it's possible! But I have no idea how long she and Billy were at it behind my back. I was always careful, we hadn't even decided on a date for our wedding never mind starting a family, so I always used protection!" I was rambling again, pacing and rambling. Sarah took hold of my hand and placed her other hand on my chest, she smiled.

"Adam? It's going to be okay!" She said calmly, "She did you wrong, it's understandable that you feel hesitant..." She was amazing, so amazing! God I adored her!
"What am I gonna do?" I began to weep, the floodgates opened and I couldn't control myself. She looked deeply into my eyes.

"You will do what is best, because you're a good man!" I shook my head and blinked back tears.
"No, I'm not! I'm a bad person and I've done bad things and this is karma! I deserve to suffer for what I've done to..."
"No!" She whispered. I almost confessed! I almost did it!

But instead I kissed her! I kissed Sarah Wallace, my victim's widow! Under my mouth, she muffled a surprised cry...and then she was into it...for a minute...


...next thing I knew was the feeling of Sarah's hand on my face, not tenderly, but a cold and hard slap!


Her angry glare changed instantly to shock! Covering her mouth with surprise, she mumbled "Oh God I'm so sorry!" What did she have to be sorry for? I deserved it!
"No, I'm sorry Sarah, I was out of line..."

"...Sarah?" Still standing there, stunned, I could hear her ragged breathing. I wanted to know what was going on in that cute little head of hers. "Sarah please say something?" Finally she answered me,
"Adam..." Just my name, just a whisper...


She placed a hand on my face again, but this time it was tenderly and softly, "...you're such a lovely man!" If only you knew sweetheart!
"No I'm not I told you!"
"Shhhhh!" She stroked my face in silence for a moment...


...and before I knew where I was we were wrapped in each other...


...and we were kissing again, this time very much a joint effort! As John's picture hung on the wall beside us!

To Be Continued...

Previous Chapters:
The Broken Ones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)