Monday 16 September 2019

The Broken Ones: Epilogue

Epilogue



(Sarah)
This had been a long time coming and I was dreading it, but it had to be done. I sat in my living room with my big brother, waiting to hear his side of things. My anger had subsided, I'd had a few weeks to think things over and with the encouragement of our parents, I decided to give Mark a chance to explain.


What he told me broke my heart. I was no longer hurt by him, I was hurting for him. He showed me photos of him and John during their "relationship", they looked happy. That was what made me feel so sad for my brother, because he genuinely loved John, just like I did! And then I remembered, I was his beard! Did John ever love me? I don't think either of us would ever have the answer to that.


The main thing was that I had my brother back. After years of being divided, we were finally together again. Mum and dad were happy, our family was strained while I was married to John. Mark saved my life, he tackled Una and had her arrested for John's murder and kidnapping me. I saw then how much I meant to my big brother, and I realised that he loved me just as much as he loved John. Adam on the other hand...


...after I'd been checked over at the hospital and given my statement to the police, I asked Adam to give me space when he took me home that night. I hadn't seen him since.


I missed him, but I was so utterly confused. I did love Adam, but he had lied to me and it was something I needed time to get my head around along with everything else. But when I asked for space, I didn't expect him to go completely radio silent on me! During these past few weeks I had been feeling quite unwell and put it down to the concussion I sustained after battering my head on Adam's coffee table when I scuffled with Una.


I felt sick, faint and dizzy most of the time. So much so that I resorted to visiting my doctor. It became apparent that, after everything I'd been through, I'd failed to notice that I'd not had a period in over a month. Yes, I was pregnant, with Adam Masters' baby.


I wasn't sure I should tell him, should I make first contact? He had a right to know he was going to be a father surely. I just didn't know what to do, just as I was getting my head around all the lies and the deceit I was hit with this big bombshell! I texted him many times over the past few days, I just hadn't hit send. But I knew it was something I had to face, most importantly...


...I knew I had to face Adam!


(Adam)
Sarah had asked for space, so that's what I gave her. I went home to San Myshuno and stayed with Billy and Holly. I took holiday time from the paper and spent it writing up my story, and babysitting Kai, Billy and Holly's little one.


It made me sad, I wanted very badly to be a father, had done since I was young. I doubted Sarah would ever talk to me again, and after everything I'd gone through with Holly and losing Sarah, dating was the furthest thing from my mind. Being Uncle Adam to this little sweetie was enough for me right now, despite my broody feelings.


"You're so good with him!" Holly smiled at me playing with her son aand reading him a story as I put him to bed.
"I love spending time with him." I shrugged, "It's a pleasure!" He was such a good baby too, obviously he had his mother's laid back temperament rather than Billy's hyperactivity.


Late that night there was a knock on the door and Billy appeared in my doorway, "Ads, there's someone here to see you!"


I ran through to the living room, a wave of panic and excitement hit me in one, could Sarah be here to see me? Nah, I couldn't get that lucky! What the hell did he want?


I was surprised, and a bit disappointed, to see Mark standing there. He half smiled at me and waved awkwardly, "Hey Adam, can we talk?"


I looked at him, feeling nervous and wondering if he was going to have a go at me or just praise me for leaving his sister alone. "Mark, sure!" I replied flatly. As a full smile spread on his face.


(Sarah)
Morning sickness was kicking my ass, I felt like death and I could hardly keep any food down. I was due back at work next week as I was given a few weeks to recover from my ordeal, you know find out that your friend and colleague murdered your husband? Then be attacked and abducted by her while she held a knife to my throat, it was very kind of my bosses to give me "a few weeks".


To be honest, going back there was going to bring back memories of Una and I just didn't want to face that. As I mulled over my worries there was a knock at my door.


Adam stood looking nervous as I opened the door. "Hello Sarah!"
"Adam, what..."
"I know I was supposed to give you space, but...can I come in?" I nodded and let him into my house.


We stood in silence for a few moments, then he finally spoke, "Sarah, Mark came to see me."
"Oh yes?" What the hell was Mark doing visiting Adam? I was so mad!
"Yes, he told me about the baby!" My heart sank to my boots, so that was why he was here? Did he even want me? Or the baby? Or was he here to force me into a termination?


"He had no right to tell you!" I didn't deny it, why even try.
"Well considering I had a right to know, does it matter who told me?"
"Adam I'm not asking you for anything, but I am keeping this child. I remember when you thought you were the father of Holly's baby and you were going to do the right thing, but please don't feel that you need to do this with me. I understand..."


"Whoa, hold on a minute here!" He looked annoyed, "Sarah you know how I feel about you and believe me, despite recent events my feelings have not changed in the slightest. You asked for space remember? I was waiting for the all clear, were you ever going to give me that? Or were you going to leave me crashing at Billy's in San Myshuno indefinitely?"
"No..." He didn't let me finish.
"Sarah, I love you! I want to be with you, I want this child with you! Not because it's the right thing to do but because it's the thing that I want to do! So please, don't shut me out!"


I felt hot tears sting my cheeks, I was so happy! "Adam I had no intentions of shutting you out, I just wasn't sure that you'd want anything to do with any of this after..." Suddenly he got down on one knee and presented a ring.


"Will you marry me?" His pleading eyes made me want to kiss him, what a sweetheart he was, and oh how I had missed him! I'd already forgiven Mark before I had the chance to chew him out over this!


But then I thought about it, was I ready to marry again? After everything with John and Mark, did I really want to be tied down? I looked into Adam's big blue eyes, desperate for an answer, and I didn't know what to do as he murmured "Well?"


(Johanna)
I was born into a loving family, but it wasn't always like that. The story of my parents' introduction wasn't the most conventional, my father thought he'd killed my mother's first husband and the rest, as dad would say, is history. I was even named after him, John Wallace. Dad insisted I be Johanna Wallace Masters, mum couldn't agree more.


My childhood was happy, loving and my Uncle Mark spoiled me rotten. He would often take me out when I was little and dote on me. 


He met a nice man called Greg Nunn and they had a boy and a girl, Bryson and Kelsey, my cousins. Aunt Alannah agreed to help them out and carry the babies. She lived with them too, it was a weird arrangement but they all seemed happy enough.


My dad helped me with school work, while my mum would bake me cookies. They were both very much in love, it was sweet and sickly all at the same time. 


And when Archie came along, well I was determined to be the best big sister ever.


It's not like we haven't had our ups and downs as a family, my parents argue like any normal couple. My little brother is a handful and always getting into scrapes. And me?


Well, I'm finding my feet and trying to make my family proud. Dad says I'm exceptionally good at English, and I like to tell stories so maybe I'll become a writer or a journalist like him. I dunno, I'm only 14, I've got a while to think about it.


What matters is that everyone I love is happy, after all, isn't that basically what anyone wants? To love and be loved in return? Huh, they should write a song about that. But seriously, the lesson that my dad always wanted me to take from the past is this...


...there are broken people in this world who feel that they will never be whole again. They think that their lives are fixed, that this is all there is and once they have been damaged that there is no return, but that's not true...


...even the broken ones can be put back together!


The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)