Sunday 7 April 2013

Love Drunk: Chapter Four

 Lainie is still unaware that it was Dexter who cost her valuable time working on the diner. But it seems like his conscience has motivated him to make amends. Unfortunately his attention being focused on getting the diner up and running for Lainie has meant that his household chores have been neglected! Big brother Ashton is not amused, even though his lack of housework has been for a good reason, will the brothers stop bickering for one minute and realise that their hard work might have actually paid off despite the pongy washing in their flat?

 "Aw man DEXTER!!! More paintings??? WTF dude!" Ashton muttered to himself, he was grumpy already without this!

 "And the laundry is STILL NOT DONE!!!" he growled and cursed under his breath. He wasn't used to being up so early and it was still dark outside. Drew was, of course, still asleep at 5am like any other sane person would be...

 ...but Dexter wasn't really a sane person as his paintings often proved! "Good morning dear brother!" Dex mumbled while gobbling down a mouthful of cereal.
"Dude the washing???" was all Ash could reply.
"I've been a bit busy this week as you well know! I ache in every part of my body and I can't remember the last time I actually closed my eyes for more that five minutes so..."

 Ash interrupted his brother's speech and barked back "Yeah yeah we all know what you've been doing, but you wouldn't have had to do it if you'd stopped to think for one minute and NOT interfere with Lainie's love life!"

 "Please Ashton, you can hardly include a guy like Rob Kennedy, twin brother of kooky Charlotte, as a potential suitor for MY freckles!" Dex snorted as he took his empty bowl to the sink.

 "You really are full of yourself aren't you? YOUR freckles, and what in the name of my 4 day old socks lyin' in the laundry basket is THIS on my kitchen floor Dexter William Maloney???"
"Uh it's art you old fart!"
"Oh very funny, a comedian AND a poet, kudos to you!"

 Dexter sighed in frustration at his brother's lack of interest in his work. "You do realise that it's how I unwind after fitting kitchens and counters and cabinets don't you? It's what I do when sleep will not come!"
"Dexter we all fitted that kitchen and the cabinets and the counters! So quit playin' the hero because if it weren't for you we would have had more time to do things with Lainie being there to instruct us but no..."

 "Do you have to keep bringing up my stupidity??? I already feel like crap about it so lay off will you!" Dexter snapped, spun around and stomped towards his room.

 "Hey! You do realise you'll have to clean that muck off of the floor right?"

 "Yeah yeah add it to my ever growing housework list dearest big brother! I have to go pick up Lainie and show her her new diner! If I know her she'll be up and worrying right now, I want to put her mind at ease! She's not been herself lately!"
"Dexter, all you have to do is tell her how you feel! It shouldn't be this hard for you man! What the heck gives?" Ash replied in a sympathetic tone.
"Back off will ya?" Dexter snapped once again, "I'm going to get dressed!"

 Ashton was not very fond of the new younger brother he was experiencing lately. He was irritable, he wasn't sleeping, he was shy, lost for words, sometimes wouldn't shut up, a real rollercoaster of emotions! As he scrubbed angrily at the stupid mural Dexter had spray painted on their kitchen tiles, he felt the frustration hit boiling point as he put his all into getting the floor clean and trying not to let Dexter's attitude get him down too...

 "But he's my baby brother!" he muttered to himself, almost feeling guilty for being angry with him. It must have been something so powerful that had changed the once confident ladies man into this quivering wreck of a boy that was living there now! As he could see the floor tiles appear as he scrubbed, he hoped that after today, Dex could put all this behind him now that the diner was completed...

 ...but Dexter was terrified that Lainie wouldn't like what he'd done. She had shown him drawings of how she wanted the place to be laid out, but he had acquired some rather nice pictures to hang on the walls and he really hoped she would approve! "So when can I open my eyes?" she giggled and did a little dance.
"Just..keep 'em closed for a little longer okay?" he said softly as she did as he said so, standing on her stronger leg and trying to keep the pressure off her injured ankle.

 As she clasped her hands with her eyes firmly shut on her make-up free face, Dexter shuffled his feet nervously as Lainie kept them squeezed shut. He was so so scared she wouldn't like it! "Now, I arranged the tables the way you drew them, and the counters too, everything should be EXACTLY like your blueprint! Are you peeking?"
"No!" Lainie's voice trembled, "Hurry up please?"
"Okay!" Dex replied just as shakily as Lainie, "Open your eyes...NOW!"

 The silence was deafening, Dexter couldn't stand it! She stood still for what felt like an eternity taking in her surroundings. "Well?" Dexter's little voice echoed around the empty diner, Lainie did not respond and his heart began to race, his mouth grew dry and the back of his neck became all clammy as a cold icy chill ran down his back, she hates it, he thought.

 He let out a disappointed groan and looked down at the ground, "You don't like it!" Dexter sighed, crestfallen, "I arranged everything the way you told me Lainie I..."
"Dexter?"
"...right down to the vases and candles on the table..."
"Dexter?"
"...I had a speech, it was all heroic and manly and then I was gunna take you into the kitchen and..."
"DEXTER!!!" Lainie shouted impatiently.
"What?" Lainie stepped towards him and in one swift movement...

 ...kissed him firmly on the lips!

 "You're right Dexy, I don't like it..." she whispered...

 ...and with a squeal of sheer joy added "...I LOVE IT!!!"

 As a wave of utter relief washed over him, she gave him a wry smile and said "Did you mention...my...kitchen?"

 "...and that's your storage room there in the back, I got rid of that old door and built an arch so it's just a case of quick in and out for your ingredients..."

 "Oh Dexter!" Lainie felt a lump form in her throat as she forced back tears of happiness over the beautiful kitchen that Dexter had built right down to the last light fixture, her drawing had come to life!
"Come on! Come and get a good look at your new kitchen freckles!"

 She could hardly believe it! Dexter had worked absolute miracles! Not only had she not expected it to be ready this early, but she couldn't have imagined it looking any better had she been there herself instructing everyone over what went where!

 She could no longer control her excitement and leapt into Dexter's arms, "Thank you!" she cried and breathed in his subtle yet enchanting scent. Oh how she adored this boy right now! Oh how she could just never leave his arms, just stay holding him forever! But of course that was impossible...

 ...so she settled for some meaningful words instead, "So the pretty boy done good huh?" she sniffed and patted his shoulder gently, "How can I ever...you will NEVER begin to realise just how much this means to me Dexter!"
"Oh I think I have an idea!" he gave her a warm smile and grabbed her hand as she took it off of his shoulder, squeezed it affectionately and softly let go, blushing.

 They stood for a moment saying nothing, but not looking at the shiny new kitchen, no! Just looking at each other. Dex broke the silence and said...

"Let's go have a seat. I have one more surprise for you freckles. But I'm waiting for Ash and Drew."
"Now you do have my attention!" she laughed and then suddenly winced, "But I think a seat would be great, my ankle is throbbing!"

Dex insisted on carrying her back through to the front as she sat down and tried to hide the pain she was feeling. "They should be here in a minute or two, Drew is a bit of a sleepy head, well...a LOT!" he laughed quietly and rubbed his palms on his jeans. 

 Dexter sat awkwardly on the stool as Lainie rubbed her ankle and smiled, "That's better! I can't stand on it for too long. Doc says I'll be back to normal in a few days."
"Uh freckles there's something I wanted to tell you..." Dex started, he didn't really want to turn things onto him but he was rather excited!
"Come on Dexy, you know you can tell me anything!"
"Well the thing is, I took your advice and...I have an appointment with the owner of the local gallery on Saturday!"
"Wow Dexy that's...I'm so happy for you!" Lainie looked genuinely pleased for him, he promised her that he'd still have time to help her open up for Monday, and considering the hard work he and Ash and Drew had put into getting the diner finished and today only being Thursday, then he should be even with her by now. If she knew that he was the cause of her injury, would she be so friendly with him? Probably not, so he was going to keep his mouth shut!

 Lainie heard the back door of the diner open and two male voices talking and laughing loudly, "Sounds like your boys!" she smiled at Dex as he got up from his stool and rushed to the back door...

 "So that's the finishing touches, I reckoned you could do with one of those, you know..."
"I...yes!"

 "And by the way..." Ash began, "...these counters are way heavier than they look young lady and...it was a pleasure breaking my back for you gorgeous!" he gave her a cheeky grin and winked.
"Don't listen to him!" Drew gave Ash a playful shove, "He's loved every bit of it, gave him an excuse to use up his holiday time from the fire station!"

"So?" Dex tried to analyse her reaction, but was getting nothing.
"It's beautiful and...oh I'm so overwhelmed!" she cried and wiped a small tear away that was threatening to run down her face.

Drew had built her a coffee machine, just like Dexter's, but this one fitted with the colour scheme of her entire diner!

 She hobbled up to Drew and gave him a massive hug! "Whoa, hey!" he chuckled in surprise!
"Thank you, all of you!"

 "No problem cutie!" Drew replied and patted her back.
"Hey hey no need to hug ME girly it's all good!" Ash blurted out rather nervously...

 "But the chocolate fountain was my idea, just sayin'!" he gazed adoringly at the melted chocolate running down in front of him.

 "It's really great guys! I'm so overwhelmed, you rock! And I'm so sorry to run out on you like this but I have a date this afternoon and I really need to rest my ankle for a bit before I get ready."

"A date???" Dexter's eyes widened in horror, "You...a DATE???"

 "Yes Dexter, a date! Rob wants to apologise for last week. He's been calling and calling. I think he really feels bad about it so it's the least I can do."

As Lainie and the boys left, Dex stayed behind and began to feel sorry for himself. She was dating that freak show again? After last time? How could she when she just kissed HIM a short time ago??? His lips still tingled from it, he'd kissed many girls many times before but this...how could she be going on another date???

 As daylight appeared and Dex moped in the diner, Drew was growing anxious at Charlotte's door. Before he could knock she came breezing out of her flat and smiled when she saw him...

 "Hello Andrew! Mrs Ubercutes told me you were at the door!"
"Huh! Hi Char, I wanted to give you something. I've been working on an all-in-one machine that gets you ready in the morning by showering you and feeding you and...well let's just say it bombed! But I had this scrap metal left over and I...well I made you something for your cats!"

 "Oh? What's that Andrew?" her big brown eyes lit up in intrigue.
"Look behind you!"

"Oh my goodness! What is that? It's enormous!" she asked in a high pitched voice.
"It's a pet hygienator. It cleans and grooms you pets in an instant and the best part is...no more sticky mits!"

 "But Andrew, I can't possibly store this in my flat, I have no room!" she cried sadly, "Not that I don't like it, and you'll have to show me how to work it, but ugh no room!" she frowned and gave him a look of despair.

 "Well there's where I can help!" he beamed...

 "Don't tell the guys but..." he lowered his voice and pointed to the floor, "I have a workshop downstairs, I rented a room from Mr Grimes and I have plenty of room in there because that's where I built it!"

 "Oh Andrew, you're so clever! Thank you! It's almost as lovely as the painting Dexter Maloney made for me!"

 Seeing a flash of hurt on Drew's face she added, "Oh but yours is more practical and..."

 "...well don't just stand there Andrew! How does it work then???" Drew gave her a gleeful grin and began to work the machine.

 Dexter had been to the gym to let off some steam, as he leaned over the bannister outside his flat and eyed a huge machine sitting outside Charlotte's door, he was aware of voices downstairs at Lainie's...

 ...it was that goof ball dropping her off from their "date". He couldn't hear what they were saying, just muffled voices but his heart stung at the sight of them together again.
"Well thanks Rob, it was a lovely afternoon. And I really do like horror movies! So thanks again! Do you want to come in for a..." as Lainie was about to invite Rob in for a drink...

 ...he lunged forward and kissed her...

 ...to anyone who happened to pass by, the look of panic and disbelief on Lainie's face was plain to see...

 ...but to someone up above on, say a landing? Well they would get the entirely wrong picture!!! And that's...

 "Holy sh..."

 ...exactly what Dexter William Maloney saw from his level! Two people making out after a date!

 He didn't hang around to watch the whole show. As he came bursting into the flat, Ash was watching T.V. and trying not to give in to the smell of their dirty laundry by actually doing it!
"That son of a..." Dex grunted as he stomped past his brother with a face like thunder...

 ""What's wrong with you???" Ash mumbled as he checked the weather forecast, he was thinking of going for a jog to get the smell out of his nostrils.
"None of your business get outta my face!"

 "Sure thing, just as soon as you do the laundry Dexter!" he called after him.
"F%$@ YOU!!!" he cursed and shut himself in his room.

 "I am getting tired of this! If he doesn't buck up I'm going to kick his a$$!!!" Switching off the T.V. Ash headed out for his jog. His brother's mood swings were really becoming tiresome, but his mood may have been instantly lifted if only Dexter had stuck around...

 ...to see what really went down after Rob kissed Lainie! "Whoa there fella! You can't..."
"What?" Rob smiled excitedly at her.

 "You can't just kiss a girl like that! Not after a second date which doesn't even count as a second date because the first one was a complete disaster and this one was faring far better before you..."

 "But Lainie, I like you...very much and I just felt it appropriate..."

 "WHAT??? No Rob, what you did was thoroughly INapproriate! Gosh!" Lainie frowned and shuddered, was this really how dates went nowadays? It had been so long since she'd been on one or kissed them, well, apart from Dexter this morning but that didn't count because...her mind was running away from the matter at hand, but she really had to deal with it and fast!

 So she took a deep breath and did the deed, "Look Rob, I'm sorry but I just don't like you in that way! I think we should just be friends. I didn't mean to mislead you..."

 "It's that other guy isn't it?" Lainie was taken aback.
"What? What other...guy?"

"It's okay Lainie, I understand. Dexter is very handsome and he's got a number of talents, my sister's words not mine. She says you've got it bad for him and that...I've not to say any more. I look forward to our friendship, I'm sorry if I upset you but I just...your lips are lovely by the way!" Lainie was a mixture of disgusted, confused, violated, embarrassed, and she felt awful for knocking poor Rob back like that! But it had to be done, she couldn't let the poor man think he had a chance of being her boyfriend! And it seemed she wasn't the only one who was struggling with an admirer...

 Just as it was getting dark, Ash returned from his jog to find a familiar figure standing outside the building. "What do you want?"
"I..." Erin began.
"Where's your friend? Off torching something or laying down on train tracks..."
"Ashton?"

 "It's Ash, you can call me Ash!"
"Ash, I wanted to say how sorry I am for causing you trouble and..."
"Where have I seen you before? Apart from the fire that wasn't there, I know you don't I?"
"I'm Erin, Erin Daley and I'm a big fan of your band..." Dex laughed bitterly and stopped her in her tracks,
"Ohhhhh okay, groupie!"
"No..." she yelped in desperation...

 "How old are you Erin Daley?" he gave her a meaningful look.
"Tw-twenty one!" she stammered as she looked him in the eyes.
"Well I'm a lot older than that and..."

 She stepped closer towards him and whispered, "I know! I know all about you! I'm not a crazed fan like Selena! Yeah she's besotted with your brother but...I watch you at every gig and you're...amazing! When you play I feel like you're playing for me and only me and..." she stopped talking and suddenly moved closer...

 ...running her fingers through his short brown hair she smiled sweetly and continued, "...you have the most beautiful eyes Ashton Maloney! Has anyone ever told you that?"

 "It's not something you hear very often when you're putting out burning buildings, no!" he replied, he was totally numb. This felt like a dream, he barely knew this girl and yet she seemed so familiar. He remembered Dex talking about a crazy blonde girl who stalked him but for some reason, her friend here wasn't like that!
"I love to hear you play your drums Ash, you speak to my soul! This isn't some crazy fangirl crush, I really do like you..."

 Why he did what he did next was a mystery to him, but it felt right at the time. He grabbed hold of her hands and pulled her towards him kissing her tenderly on the lips. And she kissed him back, hungrily and willingly...

 ...and for a few moments, he was lost in her arms! But something inside him hit him with a jolt and he pulled apart from her, as he turned and ran into the building, leaving her standing in shock...

 Ash was confused, he went to the only person he thought could help him. He needed to talk, he needed..."Dexter I...can we talk?"
"No!" Dexter groaned woefully.
"What's the matter with you?" Ash looked at his brother in disbelief as he was draped over his bed feeling utterly sorry for himself.
"I wanna die!" he croaked.
"Dexter, let's..."
"Talk about it?" Dex cut in.
"Yeah!" Ash tried to hide the fear in his voice, he could still taste Erin's lip gloss and it made his heart pound and his knees buckle.
"I don't wanna! Please leave me alone!"
"Dex...why? We could..." once again Dexter butted in...

"I said I didn't wanna talk about it Ashton because I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT!!!" Dexter growled in frustration.
"Fine! But I'm not doing the laundry Dexter! So you need to get off your backside and do it, and for god's sake put some clothes on! You know Charlotte comes fluttering in and out like a panicked moth around a light bulb!"
"She's breaking my heart!" Dexter's voice cracked as he tried to forget what he just saw.
"Get over it!" his brother replied with very little sympathy, "And do the laundry! Or I'm calling mum! I needed my brother tonight! I'm...oh forget you!!!" Ashton huffed and left Dex to his moping, but not before slamming his door roughly.


Still reeling from Rob's inappropriate goodnight gesture, Lainie was heading for bed. She passed Roxy sitting on the couch, things were still a bit awkward between them since Kevin left. "How was your date?" Roxy called to Lainie, hoping they could go back to the way they were before Kev came back and ruined their friendship.
"Oh Roxanne!" Lainie sobbed.

 Roxy rushed to her best friend, spun her around and hugged her tightly, "Oh Lain, honey it's okay! I'm here!"

 "Well he IS that Charlotte chick's twin Lain! What do you expect?"
"But things were going so well until...*gag* tongue *gag* sandwich ugh!" Lainie coughed and made a face.
"Yeah and he's not exactly..." Roxy wiggled her leg and laughed, "...Dexter "pretty dreamy boy" Maloney is he?"

"Uh what do you mean by that Roxanne???" Lainie shuffled uncomfortably in her seat.
"I saw you two this morning, you gave him a smacker on the lips and he..." Lainie cleared her throat and wriggled even more.
"You were spying on me?"
"No!" Roxy said softly and shook her head slowly.
"I was grateful for his help! I was saying thank you!"
"Well I'll bear that in mind next time the repairman comes round I'll thank him for fixing the fuse by snogging the face off him!" Roxy let out an evil cackle as Lainie stood up and headed for her room.

"Lain! I'm sorry I..."
"No it's fine. And you know full well how I feel about that beautiful boy! But he's out of my league!"
"Don't ever think that, if only you knew..." Roxy began but stopped herself.
"Knew what?" Lainie eyed her friend curiously.
"...how much I missed you! I'm so glad we're besties again!"
"We always were Rox, always were! Goodnight!" As Lainie headed for bed, Roxy wanted so badly to tell her that the man she dreamed of every night was just as mad about her, but if she did that she would have to admit to HOW she knew that! And Lainie was still hurting from her injured ankle, it was too soon. And anyway, she was hoping that gorgeous Dexy would tell her himself before somebody else did...

And that's chapter four, wow it's coming along, only 37 more chapters to go lol! XD Anyway next time it's the aftermath, it's called The Heat of The Moment and you'll know why when you read it. Dexter is hurt and upset over what he saw and he's got the wrong end of the stick as we know! Ash is still confused over kissing a girl he barely knows, and the diner is due to open in TWO days! Eeek! Chapter five coming soon! ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, what's with Ash? And arghhh! I just want to bang Lainie and Dex's heads together! Lol!! Awesome chappie hun xox

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)