Wednesday 17 April 2013

Love Drunk: Chapter Six

Dexter Maloney made a rash decision out of jealousy and resentment! His feelings weren't entirely justified as he got the wrong impression of an incident he witnessed! His brother Ashton knows the truth, as does next door neighbour Charlotte, but will they tell Dexter in time before he makes a huge mistake and devastates Lainie in the process?
 

 "So he totally got it wrong? Wow that doesn't sound at all like Dexter!" Drew let out an amused laugh as Ash explained the Rob/Lainie kiss the other night and how Dex had got the wrong impression.
"Come on Andrew, you remember what he was like as a kid, constant strops if he didn't get his own way!" Ash replied before taking a mouthful of cereal. As the boys discussed Dexter's little faux pas, he had finally arisen from his paint fumed bedroom.

 "Mind you..." Ash continued, "...it's only girls and the band that get him like that, everything else he seems to take in his stride!"

"What are you gonna do Ashton? Are you gonna tell him that Lainie is still very much available? Or are you gonna make him sweat it out a little?" Just as the words left Drew's lips, Dex appeared at the table looking rather tired and troubled.

 Ash still not noticing his brother's presence looked at Drew with an amused smile, "I think I should put the poor boy out of his misery don't you think? I mean there's been enough damage done already!" Ash's smile changed as he frowned at the thought of Lainie's sadness over Dexter's attitude the day before.
"What are you guys talking about?" Dex muttered and threw himself onto a chair.

 "Oh, h-hey there little brother! You were late last night huh?"
"Yes I was, I went to celebrate my debut at the gallery!" Dex yawned and gave out a triumphant sigh.
"Cool little brother, congrats! I'm proud of you!" Ash replied, looking at Drew he added, "By the way Andrew, why are you up so early?"
"Don't change the subject first born Maloney!" Drew mumbled as he slurped a spoonful of yoghurt and his cheeks glowed a hot pink.

 Ash just simply chuckled and continued to eat his breakfast. "Listen Dexter, there's something I need to talk to you about..." before he could finish, his younger brother had cut him off,
"Yeah cool bro listen! You'll be there at the gallery won't you?"
"Of course I will there's no question..." Dex interrupted again,
"Great because it's tomorrow!"

 As Drew stood up to take his dirty bowl away he turned to Dexter in surprise, "But...Lainie opens the diner tomorrow Dex!"
"So?" Dexter replied bitterly.
"Ash? It's Lainie's big day!" Drew appealed to the older and wiser brother.
"Drew's right Dexter! It's been planned for nearly two weeks!"

 As both his best friend and his brother left him to think about this, Dexter's anger began to bubble up again from the pit of his stomach to his already bruised heart. After the way Lainie hurt him like that, now she was taking away his family?

 As Drew retreated to his room, Dexter confronted his brother by grabbing his arm and spinning him around to face him, "So you're not coming! Is that what you're saying?"
"Dexter, you have to appreciate that both myself and Andrew are pretty torn here!"

 "And why is that exactly???" Dexter was finding it harder to control his rage.
"Because we all promised Lainie..."

 Dexter shouted furiously over Ashton "WHAT? After what she did to me, teased me and led me on like that? You're taking her side? Who cares about her goddam diner she doesn't deserve to have you there! This is my dream Ash! My life's work! And if I wanna display my art tomorrow then..."
"Dexter!" Ash's face fell as he began to realise something, something terrible!
"WHAT?" he spat in frustration.

 "Why do I get the feeling you did this on purpose?"
"WHAT?" Dex laughed nervously at his brother's accusation.
"You did, didn't you? You deliberately made it tomorrow to spite Lainie! You little creep!!!"

 "What are you talking about? How dare..."

 "Dexter for 34 years I have watched you grow up and be you, so there is nothing I don't know about my baby brother! There are times when I am immensely proud of who and what you have become and there are times where I've been utterly ashamed of what you have done in the heat of the moment! So DO NOT TRY and lie to me, you've done this and you'll regret it believe me!"

 "Do you know what?" Dexter glared at his brother, half feeling guilty and half betrayed, "I don't care what you think! I now know where your loyalty lies and it's not with your brother, your flesh and blood! Do what the hell you want Ashton I care, like zilch at this moment in time..."
"Dexter let me finish..."
"NO! You had your chance, you have betrayed me! I hope her diner burns down to the ground like my heart did when I watched her slobbering all over that weirdo brother of Charlotte's!!!"

 "DEXTER I NEED TO TELL YOU..." Ash tried to put Dex straight but he wasn't at all interested,
"I'm outta here!"
"DEX!" Ash made one more attempt as Dex walked away from him in the direction of his room.
"DO NOT SPEAK TO ME!!"

 Drew appeared from his room to see what the raised voices was all about, "Dude, what's going on out here?"
"Oh Andrew, this does not bode well!"
"Did you tell him about Lainie and Rob?"

Ash scratched his head and gave Drew a worried look, "Um...not exactly...no!"

 Ash and Drew spent a good ten minutes worrying over the whole situation and discussing what to do when Dexter came out of his room fully dressed and headed for the door. "Dexter?" Ash called out to him, but he didn't reply, this prompted Drew to give it a go as he also called to his best friend,
"Dex? Dude come on don't be like this!"

"I told you not to talk to me!" he replied, almost in a whisper.
"This is important!" Drew pleaded as Dexter kept walking and didn't even look in their direction.

"Just leave it Drew! There's no point in even talking to him when he's like this!" Drew tried to find the words, but in his exasperation, could only utter,
"But..."
"It's not worth it!" Ash felt the same way, if only Dex would stop and listen for a second, then this could all be solved!

 "Ooooooh! I love love love desserts after salad!" Charlotte squeaked with joy and rubbed her hands together. But when she spotted the long face on her lunch guest, her enthusiasm waned slightly.

 "Andrew, you're not eating your ice cream! I have every flavour that your machine could possibly make in there!" Charlotte's expression changed from excitement to worry over Drew's furrowed brow.

 "I'm sorry Char!" he sighed, "This is great, and I usually love ice cream but..."

 "Whatever it is, I'm sure a taste of your delicious invention will take away some of the worry! It just glides down your throat like heaven on a frosty day!" Seeing that her little speech didn't make him smile she added, "Or you could tell me what's bothering you Andrew! I know you all think I'm crazy and I don't know what day of the week it is half the time, and you'd be right, but I'm a good listener!"

 Drew didn't have to be asked twice as he spilled his woes out to Charlotte in one breath, "Oh Char it's Dex, he saw your brother trying to snog Lainie and now he thinks they're together and he's all bitter and scorned and he's got his first gallery viewing tomorrow and it's Lainie's opening day too and how can we possibly be there and at the gallery at the same time? It's just...it's awful Char!!!" after releasing his tension, he let out a deep breath and could feel the relief take over.

 "Oh dear!" Was all Charlotte could reply. "That is a predicament indeed! And to think I only ever set Lainie up with my brother to get Dexter to make a move! I think I've made a boo boo!"

"No Char!" Drew reassured her, "No! This is Dexter's doing, not yours! He's so stubborn and jealous and...you did that to get him and Lainie together? That's so...sweet!" Drew gushed and gave her an approving wink.

She could feel her cheeks burning as she cleared her throat and said "Okay, fun's over now eat your ice cream!"
"Yes ma'am!" Drew laughed bashfully.

 "I must admit, my ice cream maker is the shizz!" Drew announced, almost surprised that it actually worked and the ice cream was tasty.
"Yes Andrew you are very clever, now how do we fix this little problem we have?" Charlotte thought for a moment then gasped...

"Ahhhhh! Don't worry Andrew, I'll talk to that silly Dexter Maloney and..." Drew groaned and tapped her shoulder gently,
"Sorry Char, we tried that..."
"Just leave it to me! It's my responsibility and I won't let you down!"

 With Dexter off in a strop and Drew AWOL, Ash decided it was only fair to make Lainie aware of the situation. He had no idea how he was going to break it to her, but he had to warn her about Dexter's gallery show. "Listen sweetie, there's something I need to tell you, Dex got his slot at the gallery!"
"Oh that's great!" Lainie beamed, genuinely happy for him despite his appalling behaviour.
"Yeah, but that's not all...it's tomorrow!"

 Lainie tried not to show her shock, a fake smile covering her true sadness, "Well good for him!" she replied shakily.
"I'm sorry honey! I just don't know what to do I..." Ash was getting flustered as Lainie's little face was breaking his heart.

 "Hey I understand! It's only my first day opening but this might never come around for Dexy again! You totally have to be there for him!"
"I'm not sure I wanna!" muttered Ash bitterly.
"He's your brother Ashton!" she replied softly and rubbed his arm affectionately, "Please, go and support him. Really!"

She was being so reasonable, so kind! If only she knew what a jerk he actually was! "Lainie honey, I'll be at both I promise you! Andrew and myself will take turns, I won't let you down! You're like a little sister to me you know! I find it hard to show my feelings and sometimes I can come off as...aloof? But when someone means the world to me and I make a promise, I keep it! Jeez kid you've only been here just over two weeks and I feel like I've known you my whole life!"
"Thanks Ash! You're a great neighbour and an even greater friend!" Lainie fought back a little tear as Ash said goodbye and headed for work.

 As Dexter sat consumed in his own self pity in the park, he was aware of a figure approaching him. It was Charlotte, he really didn't have time for her madness today of all days!

 "Hello neighbour!" Charlotte greeted him cheerily.
"Hey Char!" he replied pathetically, feeling rather sorry for himself.

 "May I join you in your wallowing?"
"No offence but I really wanna be on my own right now..." Dexter started as Charlotte shouted over him,
"GREAT! I'll sit over there and we can have a nice chin wag eh?"

 Charlotte plopped herself down on the swing next to Dexter and began a conversation, "So why are you wallowing Dexter Maloney?"

 "You wouldn't understand Char!" he moaned and swung from side to side gently, sighing all the way.

 "Ohhh I think I can take a guess!" Charlotte's face broke into an amused smile, "So you're all upset because Lainie went out with my brother, not to mention the kiss at the end of their second date because she kissed you first didn't she, and then she kissed Rob and it's just so unfair. Am I right?" She turned to Dex and gave him a wry smile.

 "What the...how did you know that?" he gasped and eyed her in surprise.

 "Well..." she began, "I can tell you that she and Rob are not together, in fact that kiss you claim to have seen? It was just my inappropriate brother making a very unwanted move on her. She told him where to go after that. Well...she's too polite to actually say..."

 "Wait wait wait!!!" Dex cut in, "Are you kidding me???"
"Er no?" still looking amused Charlotte began to swing a little too.

 "She's not...and she didn't..."
"No and no! You're a silly boy Dexter Maloney, always have been and always will be! Three years of your din and nonsense makes me an expert of your silliness! Now Andrew on the other hand, did you know..." Dex suddenly got up from the swing as Charlotte was in mid sentence...

 "Dexter Maloney I was talking, where are you off to?" Charlotte huffed,
"I've messed up Char! I've really messed up!"
"Well yes, what's new?"

 "I have to fix it, I...oh god what have I done???"

 It seemed to be a family trait for the Maloney brothers, messing up! As Ash arrived home after his shift at the fire station, he had a familiar guest waiting for him. When he saw her determined expression, rather than run this time he let his feelings overpower him as he strode towards her with purpose...

 ...in one swift movement he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her...

 ...at first he felt her fight it, he was tempted to pull back and run, but he wanted her! He really, really wanted her!

Her sweet perfume overwhelmed him and he held her tighter, tasting that familiar lip gloss, hearing her tiny muffled protest and feeling her little hands curled into fist shapes.

 As he felt her relax in his arms and return the kiss, he too relaxed and no longer wanted to run! Why had he ignored her? Why was he so afraid of this? He knew full well why! Melissa! It was easier to be on his own...

 ...it was easier not to feel. It was easier to avoid every female that showed any interest in him for fear of being humiliated again! But as he kissed this lovely girl with such meaning and such emotion, he remembered what it was like to feel! And he liked it, at that moment he didn't care if anyone caught them! He didn't care that she was 15 years younger than him! He did care about how he'd behaved to her, he was almost as bad as Dex! He'd been horrid to her! How could he even begin to apologise or make it up to her? They stood there in each other's arms for quite some time until they finally let go...

 ...and Erin simply smiled and said "Hi!"
"Hi!" Ash smiled back and blushed.

 The next morning Lainie and Roxy were up early in prepration of their big day. "You sure you don't want anything hun?" Roxy called to a very nervous Lainie.

 "Oh no I couldn't eat a thing!" she said shakily, her teeth chattering.

 Roxy shrugged and carried on with her own breakfast. "Okay Lain but you really need to eat something later! This is going to be a hard day!"
"You don't have to tell me that!" Lainie rolled her eyes as her legs trembled.

 "Roxy?"
"Yes hun?"
"Do you really think this is a bad idea?"
"I did, until Dexter worked miracles with the refurb!" Lainie's eyes widened at the sound of his name.

 "Well he did his part I guess. I just have to accept that he doesn't really like me and that our friendship, however brief, is over!"

 "Girl just you forget Dexter Maloney! He's not the man I thought he was! You're better off without people like that in your life!" Roxy muttered between gulps of her breakfast.

 Lainie looked at her friend with the greatest admiration and smiled, "When did you get so clever huh? Where did you get such great advice?" Roxy kept shoveling in mouthfuls of her food, she did that when she was nervous, and replied,
"I learned that from you Lain! Now promise me you will eat at some point this morning?"

Lainie began to panic once again about the day that lay ahead for her, could she do it? Was she really capable of this? She knew if Dexter was by her side she could do anything, such was the influence he had on her confidence...but he wasn't there! He had other things to do. Finally she answered her best friend to set her mind at ease, "I promise!"

 After telling Roxy to relax for another hour or so, Lainie headed down to the diner dressed in her whites for the first time. She began to feel hungry after refusing Roxy's offer of some breakfast, but she really had felt sick before!

 Still in awe of her new kitchen and the hard work Dexter had done on it, she felt a little heavy weight on her heart at the thought of him and his coldness the other day. How could he be so interested and dedicated one minute and change the next?

She thought about his gallery slot, and she wished him all the best! These things happened didn't they? But deep down she wanted the old Dexter to be there for her, tell her "It's gunna be fine freckles, you'll see!" but that wasn't going to happen. They were friends once, but perhaps not any more!

 But when she saw him standing there as she entered the front of the diner, she really did think she was still in her bed dreaming of this moment!

 But what really caught her attention were the changes on her wall...

 Plastered all over her diner were Dexter's best and most recent paintings! The ones he had planned to show at the gallery! Why was he here when he should have been there?

Dexter smiled nervously and broke the silence, "Morning freckles!"

And Lainie could only stand there, frozen in shock! Until finally she found her voice, "Dexter what..."

"Well I got a slot at the gallery? But...I'm a bit of a non conformist so...I want people to see my work just not in some gallery where a bunch of snobs stick their noses up at it. No I think I'd like to display my talents here, besides...how could I possibly miss your big day?" This was a big deal, this was a big gesture, this...was what Dexter was doing for her to make amends...this was what he was doing for love! Because deep down, he knew...he knew he loved her!

 Lainie didn't even realise she was moving until she ended up in front of him, "Oh Dexter!" she breathed and pulled him in for a hug...

 "Dexter I thought...oh nevermind! I can do this! I know I can because...I've got you here with me! You give me the confidence I need to carry on and...oh I'm so glad we're friends again!"

"I'm sorry I was acting...off lately I..." he took a deep breath and repeated the speech Ash had made up for him, "...I was nervous about the gallery and I took it out on you and I'm sorry!"
"It doesn't matter! You're a good friend Dexy! You've done so much for me and I'll never forget it! You're the best!" As she held him tightly and forgave him so easily, he couldn't help but feel guilty over his behaviour. First her ankle and then the cold treatment, he felt guilty about that...but he was even more scared that one day...she'd eventually find out what he had done and hate him forever for it!

That's it! Chapter six is done! Who do you ship then? Eh? Dexter's gone and redeemed himself and hopefully he's learned from his strop! Will Lainie ever discover the truth about his tantrums? Is it going to be all happily ever after for Ash and Erin? Are Charlotte and Drew just good friends...or something more? Chapter seven soon!


6 comments:

  1. Priceless! Aw Dexter, you´re such a moron *lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yep he is, but a loveable moron. He's going to grow, he's going to mature, he has to for what's coming...la la la I say no more! XD

      Delete
  2. I REALLY love this story! Dexter and Lainie are so cute!!! All of your characters are so well written! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you like my story. I love writing it and the characters are close to my heart so it means a lot when people are as fond of them as I am. :o)

      Delete
  3. Oh Dexter!!! I missed that you'd posted the next chapter :$ So glad I checked!! I'm so proud of Ash finally getting over his fear and look forward to learning about Melissa! I'm so excited to see where this whirlwind will take us next! hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't be too happy for Ash just yet lol, he isn't completely over his little fear. Melissa will be mentioned in length in chapter seven but never seen. I'm going to take a wee break from this and concentrate on the Shylife for now. But it won't be too long before I start to pine for Dex and Co.! ;o)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)