Thursday 4 April 2013

Love Drunk: Chapter Three

Lainie and Dex almost ended before they even started when his band were practising noisily late at night. But after calling a truce and finding out a bit about each other, they were friends. Dex wants so badly to tell Lainie how much he likes her but he just can't seem to do it! As everyone prepares to visit Charlotte and make her feel like she belongs, many things transpire that will test some and strengthen others...


 "Wait wait wait STOP!"

"What's up Jeremy?"
"What's up? There is a cat in here and it's putting me off! It's not even your cat Ashton!!!"
"Jeez Jeremy chill!"
"Andrew DO NOT tell me to CHILL! I am allergic to the little abominations so don't tell me to CHILL!"

 "Here Mrs Ubercutes, Uncle Ashy is gunna take you home!"
"Ugh, that woman and her dirty felines!"
"She's just leaving Jeremy, then we can get back to our practice, the gig's in three hours man!"

 "I won't be long okay?"
"Okay, I'm gunna go finish that painting of Rosalie!"
"Dexter get a life, she doesn't want you to paint her...well at least not on canvas hehehe!"
"Gross big brother, really gross!"
"Well she wouldn't say no to you smearing her in paint!"
"Enough, I don't wanna go back to therapy!"

 "I'm telling you, that woman's cats have no right to come barging in here and..."
"Well that's really up to Ash and Dex Jeremy, it's their flat and their neighbour!"
"Well maybe I can help there, put them in a sack, take a stroll down by the lake and drown the little b..."

 "HEY! DO NOT touch her cats!"
"Then I'll go tell her to keep them inside her own flat then, or I'll drown her! She's crazy anyway!"
"Don't even joke about that, you will NOT go near Charlotte or her cats or I will have to deal with you Jeremy, like I dealt with you in high school when you made Katie Benson dump Dexter for you!"

 "Are you threatening me Andrew? Because I don't take too kindly to threats! And anyway, Katie was gonna dump Dex regardless. He doesn't know about me and Katie so keep your mouth shut!"

 "Dude, I just want you to stay away from Charlotte! That's all! She's just a lonely, eccentric woman who happens to love her cats. She's harmless!"
"I can do what I want Andrew and I will NOT tolerate those mangey moggies crawling all over our equipment, understand???"
"I'm warning you Jeremy..."

 "Oh are you now??? Well guess what? I quit this sorry excuse for a band, you've got three hours until the biggest gig of our life and I'm leaving! I've been headhunted by another BIGGER band and I think I've had just about enough of you losers!!!"

 "Oh that's not good!"

 "Uh Dexter?"
"What?"
"I need to..."

"Um...t-tell y-you...s-something!"
"What?" 
"Yeah uh...Jeremy just quit the band!"

 "I'm sorry Dex we had a fight over Charlotte's cats and well, he...maybe he'll change his mind! You're not mad at me are you?"

 "Dexter?"

Drew woke up with a start, same dream...only it wasn't a dream! The guilt he felt over that day still niggling away inside him like a parasite! He could hear Ashton's voice calling him and Dexter...

 "Come on guys! Five minutes to get to Charlotte's or Lainie won't ever date you DEXTER!!!"

 "Sleeping again Andrew?" Ash commented sarcastically, Drew certainly could sleep and at the most inappropriate of times!
"What can I say? must be the full moon huh?" Drew appeared in front of Dex dressed in a very smart shirt, trousers and shoes.

 "A little overdressed are we not gentlemen?"

 Dexter smirked at his brother, "Or is it that you're UNDER dressed and we're lookin' just fine? Huh?"
"Hehe, yeah Ash. Ever thought of that?" Drew snorted nervously, trying to act cool and failing miserably.

 Ash gave Dex and Drew a confused raised eyebrow, "We're only going next door to see Charlotte guys!"
"Uh Lainie is going to be there? Duh!" Dex rolled his eyes and exhaled loudly for effect.
"Okay, I get why you're all smart and smelling like you tripped and fell into a bathtub full of CK One, but why is Drew dressed up and fragrant too?" Drew's cheeks grew hot and he cleared his throat,
"Well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em I say!" he laughed a little too loudly and headed for the door...

 ...but before he could get there Dex grabbed his arm, "Dude wait..."

He turned to look at his friend with a curious expression, "...why ARE you dressed up? I mean, yeah I wanna impress Lainie but you...what gives?" Drew gave out a rather high pitched chuckle and avoided Dexter's gaze.
"Why are you Maloney baloneys trying to find something that isn't there? Maybe I want to make an effort to cheer up Charlotte or...you know what? I don't have to explain, I feel good so shut up!"

It seemed that the boys weren't the only flat mates to be bickering in the building. When Lainie arrived home to get Roxy, she was furious to see that Kev was still there! "I told you Roxanne! I wanted him gone by tonight, now it is tonight and he's still here!!! What gives???"
"Lainie please don't freak out!"
"FREAK OUT???"

 "He's got a cold, and it's still snowing outside. I couldn't let him go out there with a fever and..."
"Oh my god he's faking it you clueless bimbo!!!"

 "Now now girls, don't get personal. I've come over all light headed, could you...pass me the remote? *cough* *sniff*"

 Roxy changed instantly from apologetic to Lainie to enraged with Kev. "Shut your mouth Kev! You've caused enough trouble!!!"

 Lainie casually, and eerily, approached Kev as he stood up and headed for Roxy, no doubt to worm his way out of the whole mess. "I want you out!"
"Fair enough gorgeous, end of the week...tops!"
"This is Sunday Kevin! I want you out tonight!"

 "TONIGHT??? But...where am I gunna go? My landlord kicked me out, I've got no job AND I feel like crap! Come on Lain!!!"

 "Okay, I'll be reasonable! You don't have to go right now..." Lainie replied calmly...

 "...you've got ONE hour!" Kev stepped back and glared at Lainie with utter contempt.
"You bitch!" he muttered so that Roxy couldn't hear, "Don't think that you'll get away with this! I'll come back, I always do! And she'll lap it up, like she always does! You're only doing this because you can't resist me, come on Lain, there's always been chemistry between us and you just can't stand it that it's Rox I chose! Don't get me wrong, if you weren't such a poisonous snake of a woman, I'd so go there! I've thought about it more than once, in fact I thought about it in the shower this morning...for fifteen minutes!!! And when you got dressed this morning, the crack in the door was just too much to ignore...you're just as hot with your clothes off and man I could have had you right there and you and I both know it!!!"

 "You're an absolute pig Kevin Larson! And I wouldn't sleep with you if you were the last male on Earth! I won't call you a man because that would be pushing it! But the fact remains that in one hour I want you to be gone! And when you do crawl out from under your rock once again, I'll be there to drop it back on your head you waste of space! Now pack your bags...and GO!!!"

Lainie left Kevin speechless as she turned to her friend and told her "That's how it's done Roxanne. He just admitted that he'd sleep with me if he could, he has no respect for you or me! I just hope you realise that sooner rather than later because I love you and I'm sick of him making a fool of you!"
"I know!" Roxy replied, "I know Lain, but you can't help who you fall in love with!" As the girls left Kev to gather his things and get out, the boys were gathering on the upstairs landing waiting for them.

 As was a very surprised and humbled Charlotte! "What are you guys doing here?"

Lainie replied "We thought we'd come and see you Charlotte. We've all got some spare time so do you fancy hanging out?" 
Charlotte's big brown eyes lit up at the sight of her neighbours standing there, "I...oh I don't know what to say!!! You're all here for little me???" she squeaked as Lainie, Dexter, Andrew, Roxanne and Ashton smiled back.
"Yes, I'm sorry it took us so long but..." Lainie began as Charlotte let out a tiny sob and squeezed her eyes shut,
"We'll have a picnic! Out here on the landing! I have cakes and wine and..."
"Sounds great!!!" Ash replied, although he could have sounded a bit more enthusiastic! But the look on Charlotte's face made every single one of them feel good, she felt special...and they did that!

 Charlotte poured everyone some wine and the picnic was well underway. She still had her cakes from the day before, she was truly overwhelmed by the company...

...they chatted and drank and had a good time together. Dex sat next to Lainie as Drew squeezed in between the two brothers to get away from Roxy who had taken quite a shine to him.

 "So Charlotte, how is work at the cat shelter?" Lainie tried to make Charlotte feel like the birthday girl at a party by focusing on her, while Dex focused on something else entirely! Charlotte was aware of this and it amused her greatly, Dexter Maloney, the hot ladies man was all bashful and coy over this girl who had just moved in...and it was utterly wonderful to see!

 Putting aside her amusement, Charlotte answered Lainie's question, "Well it's...very furry to say the least! I have sticky mitts in my bag at all times because you know cat hair is an unruly obstacle in my line of work! You know...it really is nice to have company and to talk!"

 "Careful, I might get used to being so popular and demand a picnic every week!" she giggled shyly and smiled to herself.

 Roxy was making eyes at Drew who was finding the whole experience uncomfortable. She was a nice girl but not really his type! She was too forward!
"Hey Drew! I hear you play guitar? I love a man that plays guitar!" she purred and winked at him while Ash tried not to laugh...

 "OMG dude!" Drew whispered, "Help me will ya?"

"Gotta take the rough with the smooth my friend!" Ash replied, why would he want to stop this riveting entertainment?

 As Charlotte was about to clear up, Dexter had a little surprise for her. "I did this last night! Do you like it?" he hung a painting he'd done of Charlotte on the wall as she let out another little squeak of joy...

 "Oh my, Dexter Maloney! You...did this for me?"

 "Yeah! Do you like it?"

"I love it! It's...so beautiful and...am I really that pretty?"
"Uh...yeah! Course you are Char!"

 Everyone helped Charlotte clear away the food, she felt so special and she knew that was all down to Lainie. "You've been so kind, I want to do something for you!"
"Aw Charlotte you really don't have..."

 "I have a brother! He's my twin! His name is Robert, Rob...he's a sweet boy and I really think you would get along nicely!"

 "A twin brother?" Dexter's ears pricked up as he heard this very alarming yet amusing news, two of them???
"Yes, he's quite lonely and he doesn't have a girlfriend. I think you'd make a lovely coupling!" she winked, but it wasn't Lainie she was winking at...

 ...it was Dexter, who she'd said the exact same thing to the other night! As Lainie smiled awkwardly at Charlotte, she could see that Dex was starting to panic! If this didn't spur him on then nothing would, Charlotte thought to herself with a cheeky grin. "So what do you say? I'll get Rob to pick you up tomorrow night okay?"
"Sure!" Lainie just couldn't say no, and Charlotte knew it! Dexter's little face was a picture, his heart breaking over someone else dating his precious freckles...and Charlotte knew it! She wasn't as daft as everyone thought!

 As Ash and Drew were discussing how Drew could get Roxy off his back, Dex suddenly hissed "Did you guys hear that???"
"Hear what?" they both said in unison,
"That fruit loop Charlotte! Setting MY Lainie up on a date with her TWIN BROTHER!!!"
"Oh my god Charlotte has a TWIN???" Ash guffawed as Drew smiled to himself.
"So that's who the guy is!" he let out a deep breath and shook his head, as if he was just realising something, something important!

 "Yeah well, it ain't happenin' ya hear?" Dex huffed, that Charlotte, and after he'd given her a gift too! How dare she try and set HIS Lainie up with her brother! How very dare she!!!

 The following evening, Ashton was called out to an emergency at a club that turned out to be...not an emergency but rather a matter of urgency for a certain young girl! "DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, unless there is a fire of course, TOUCH THE FIRE ALARM DO YOU UNDERSTAND???"
"I didn't I..." Erin Daley began but was cut off, Ash took his job very seriously and didn't take kindly to mindless pranks.
"Do you realise that while we were out here answering your bogus call that there could have been, and still might be, someone burning to death in their house or dying of smoke inhalation as we speak???"
"But I didn't..." Erin tried again but this time was interrupted by her friend Selena,
"So...where's Dexter?"

 "What did she just say?" Ash demanded as the veins in his neck began to pulse.
"I said where is Dexter? Your brother?"
"Oh god!" Erin's face drained of colour as the realisation hit her, "Selena please tell me you didn't!"
"I pressed the lever and I waited, you got Ash so where is Dex?"
"Is she for real?" Ash blinked in disbelief.

 "Did you set off the alarm young lady?" Ash glared at Selena.
"Yes, is Dex coming?"
"Selena I don't believe you!"

 "Dexter is NOT a fireman! Ashton IS but Dexter is NOT!"
"Oh, well then, at least you got Ash. I did good then?"
"No Selena, you did BAD!"

 "I just wanted to see Dexter! I haven't seen him for a while I think he's in hiding and it's all that Rosalie's fault for breaking his heart! I just want to heal him!"
"Oh em gee she's insane!" Ash muttered to himself.

 "Okay I'm just gunna say this one more time, NO MORE TOUCHING THE FIRE ALARM UNLESS IT'S A FIRE!!! Understood girls?"
"Yes! She won't do it again, right Selena???" Selena scowled at her friend, oblivious to what she had done.
"Wh...what did I do?"

 Erin closed her eyes and didn't dare turn to look Ash in the face, she was mortified by Selena's "prank". "Well I'm outta here, to put out some real fires!"
"I am so, so sorry!"

 "It's okay kiddo. Just try and keep your friend under control alright? I have a job to do!"
"I will!"

 As Ash left, Erin's heart sank. She went to every gig that Deadly Nightshade did, she was so crazy about Ashton Maloney and now...as Selena sat smiling to herself, Erin tried to block out her utter humiliation over meeting her crush under such circumstances.

After a rather long silence, Selena finally spoke, "So...does that mean Dexter's not coming then?" and Erin let out a frustrated scream!

 Lainie was getting ready for her date with Rob, Dexter had to be there of course. "How long does it take for her to put on a dress? Jeez!"
"I dunno, why don't you go in there and ask her?" Roxy grunted, not taking too kindly to Dex butting in while she read her book.

 "How can you condone this?" Dexter blurted out in frustration, "Are you really gonna let her do this???"
"Uhhhm...yeah!" Still not looking up from her book, Roxy nodded and continued to read.

 Just then Lainie appeared from her room, she was adorable! "Well..." she breathed, "...how do I look?"

 Dex did think she looked lovely but he was so annoyed that she was going out with another guy that he shrugged and replied "It's okay I guess, I've seen you look better!"
"When? In my moving in clothes, my pyjamas and kitty slippers or in my paint and dust covered leggings?" she laughed back.
"Okay okay, you're really pretty, satisfied freckles? So you off dancing or what?" he tried to sound interested but deep down all he cared about was her date going dreadfully wrong.
"Dancing?" Lainie laughed hysterically, "If we go dancing one of us is going to die, I can't dance pretty boy! Gah the mere thought!"

 Just as the fear of trying to do some moves on a dance floor put the fear of god into her, there was a knock on the door, her date had arrived."Gosh that's him!" she whispered and felt the urge to run and hide.

"I'll go answer it!" Dex said a little more enthusiastically than he should have. Time to probe the date!

He was like Charlotte, his hair and his big brown eyes. Dex almost backed out...but not quite! "Hey, you must be..."
"Rob Kennedy. And you must be Roxy!"
"Yeah no! Dexter William Maloney, artist, guitarist, keyboard...ist, singer and all round great guy!" he put his hand out for Rob to shake it, but he raised his own hand up and rubbed his neck nervously.

 "My is that her? She's...my my!"
"Nope THAT'S Roxy!"
"Oh, well I'm sure she'll be lovely!"
"She is, oh by the way, where exactly are you thinking of taking her?"
"Oh I thought a movie and then a hot dog or...a hot dog and then a movie or..."

 "Look I'm gonna give you a little bit of a head start here okay Ron?"
"Rob!"
"Riiiight, one thing you need to know about Lainie is..." Dex stopped for a moment and took in Charlotte's very nervous and geeky brother, he was as mad as her too! Was this really fair what he was about to do? Was it his fault that his twin sister had set him up with the girl that Dexter was crazy about? No not really, he really should leave this poor guy out of this but...screw it! All is fair in love and war, "...she really loves to dance!"

 "Hi there, I'm Lainie, you must be Rob! It's good to meet you!"
"Yes hello, I was wondering, before we get started...are there any allergies you have that I should be aware of?"
"Stay away from water and don't feed her after midnight!" Dex chuckled and punched Rob's arm playfully.

 Lainie ignored Dexter's remark and looked at Rob, "Shall we go then?" she chirped as he seemed to relax.
"Yes, yes why not!"
"Oh yes why not? Yeah, have a good time you crazy kids!" Dexter mocked and then looked out of the window avoiding both Lainie and Rob's eyes. This was torture! He really was hoping for this Rob guy to fall flat on his face, have Lainie run back to him and into his arms! Yeah he'd comfort her over her disastrous love life and she'd realise he was a great guy and...Lainie and Rob left Dex to his thoughts, wishing it was him!

 When Lainie surveyed the empty club and the dance floor, her heart began to race! She had only just discussed her lack of dancing skills with Dex! This was making her sweat and panic.

 But when Rob carefully took hold of her hand and rested his other hand gently on her waist, she felt completely safe! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all...

 "It's awfully quiet in here!" Lainie remarked as she gingerly tried to dance.
"Oh yes, the DJ told me a crazy young girl hit the fire alarm and got a ticking off from the fireman!"
"Oh..."

 Taking advantage of the quiet club, Rob put some moves on Lainie and seemed to make her laugh until...

 *crrrrrruuuuuunnnnnnnccccchhhh*
"Owowowowowowowow!!!"
"Oh no..."

"Oh my gosh!" Rob cried out as Lainie hopped on one foot in utter agony.

"I...I'm so sorry I'm a clumsy old fella! Are...are are you okay?" Rob Stammered helplessly.
"Not really no!" Lainie groaned as he helped her over to the seat behind her. 

 "I should maybe have mentioned how clumsy I am! I am really very sorry Lainie!" Rob blushed and stood feeling useless above her as she rubbed her swollen and puffy ankle.

 "Can you just take me home please? Or failing that, call an ambulance?"

 "Hey Rox, how's the patient?"
"Grumpy, angry, sad, frustrated..."

 "Okay okay, I get it! So what did the doctor say?"
"She's to stay off the ankle for at least a week! Which is a bummer as she has a lot of work to do on the diner, so that's put a real scupper on things!" Roxy sighed, a hint of resentment towards Dexter, "What possessed you Maloney?"
"Huh?" Dexter feigned surprise, she was onto him!
"Why did you tell Rob Lainie loved to dance? What was that all about?"

 "It was just a joke!" Dex replied sheepishly.
"Well it wasn't funny!" Roxy scolded him.
"Some people just don't get my sense of humour...can I see her?" Dex looked down at the ground like a naughty school boy as Roxy huffed impatiently,
"Okay, but don't annoy her! She's really down about this!"

 "Hey freckles!" Dex greeted Lainie chirpily, but seeing her sad little face was like a knife to his heart.
"Hey!" she replied half heartedly.
"No worries, you'll be up and about in no time!"
"I can be up right now, it's not that bad, but the doctor says it will be worse in the morning and I won't be able to walk!"
"Is there anything I can do?"

 "You could maybe get me a time machine and stop me from going on that date! Why did I dance with him? I can't dance! Of all the things to...just my luck huh?" Roxy hadn't told Lainie that Dex was responsible for her disastrous date?

 Dex sat down beside Lainie and felt rather awkward. "You want me to...get you anything? Water, tea, some caramel coffee?" he laughed softly, remembering fondly the night she came to tell him off for making so much noise in her pyjamas...and how could he forget her little kitty cat slippers?

 She didn't laugh back, she didn't even answer him. "Look, maybe I don't have a big blue box that can take the pain away and erase the past 24 hours but...I do have loads of DVDs and a heap of time on my hands so I'll go get them and grab us some corn for poppin' and we can just veg out! How does that sound eh?"
"Okay!" she finally replied, "Thanks pretty boy, you're a sweetheart!"

When Dex came racing into the flat and grabbed up all his DVDs, Ash had told him to confess, tell her everything! And he was going to...but it just wouldn't come out of his mouth, "I really like you Lainie and that's why I sabotaged your date, I was insanely jealous!" As she rested her head on his lap and the movie ended, she let out a huge sigh.
"Oh Dex, what am I going to do?"
"What about freckles?"
"About the diner? How am I ever going to open on Friday with my bum on the couch?"

 Without thinking Dex blurted out, "I'll help you! I told you me and the guys can do stuff! Whatever you need!"

 "Dexter I need a miracle! My walls and floor are done but I need to put in my counters, tables, chairs, install my kitchen! And I need to be there! It's never going to happen! I might as well give up now, Roxy was so right!"

"You'll be there even if I have to carry you around the place! It WILL happen freckles! I promise you this! We might not meet the deadline but it will open, Lainie's is going to be the best diner in Moonlight Falls! Trust me, I'm an artist!" and this time Lainie did laugh a little.
"Thank you!"
"It's what friends are for!" yes, friends who got you in that predicament in the first place. Roxy had thrown him a life line by not telling Lainie about his bad joke borne out of jealousy. He wasn't going to let it pass him by! He was going to make amends...

And chapter three is done! So Dexter's jealous actions had consequences, big ones! Lainie's progress on the diner has been somewhat halted! Will the boys manage to make the deadline for her? Or are her dreams going up in flames? Next time, it's all about second chances! Thanks for reading! ;o)



4 comments:

  1. Awesome :D Love the gremlins line ;) Oh dear Selena is a little bit special isn't she :/ Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Selena is that, and her special ways will have consequences in a number of ways! ;)

      Delete
  2. Kevin makes me want to just vomit everywhere. I'll be happy if he never shows up again, ugh!
    Aww Dexter is SO into Lainie, i wish he would just tell her, but i know it's so hard to just come right out and say it. They're so adorable, and I laughed when Roxy was trying to come on to Drew, great chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes Drew is not comfortable with women, well one woman is an exception! ;)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)