Thursday 10 July 2014

These Twin Souls: Chapter Four

Chapter Four
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I hadn't spoken to Verona in days, my life consisted of making sure Ben was fed and going to work. That was all going to change as of today, Ben's graduation! As I stood by the mirror in my room tying my tie, I could see her standing in her driveway looking up at my window. I ignored her like I always did these days and she went back inside. It was killing me, I wanted her still but in order to hang onto any self respect I had left, I had to give her a body swerve! She called the house, she sent me texts, she stopped Ben in the street to ask for me...I still ignored her! Ben was proud of me, he told me so every day, but it didn't make it any easier. Nick came to the door and wanted a word the other night, Ben told him I was in bed with a headache and that I wasn't keeping all that well lately. It seemed to satisfy him and he left. As I saw her in the corner of my eye walking slowly back into her house, my heart thudded in my chest as I straightened my tie and rubbed down my dark blue suit. She didn't matter today, my baby brother did!

I was so proud of Ben, collecting his certificate and grinning like a cheshire cat on that stage. I got to meet Jade's parents, divorced, her mother Gail was flirting with me while her ex-husband  Gerry fawned over their daughter. I found these interactions embarrassing, but Ben told me it was what I deserved for being a pretty boy! Cheeky little...he took after my father while I was like my mother, I had her hazel eyes which my dad told me on his deathbed would be the undoing of me! I didn't understand what he meant until Ben told me it was our mum's eyes that our dad fell in love with, Ben thought he meant I was going to bewitch my true love some day with my eyes. Well I was still waiting! It was time I stopped and got on with my life, so I was going to do just that! Starting with dating, yes I was going to start seeing other women! As her ex was distracted chatting to Jade and Ben, I took the bull by the horns and asked Gail to go out with me! I was thirty two and this woman was at least forty but it didn't bother me one bit. "Do you fancy going for a drink sometime?" I asked her bashfully as she laughed softly and grabbed my arm.
"Oh that would be lovely Ryan, yes I do fancy that...very much!" she smiled at me and I felt a wave of relief wash over me, I had a date!

Ben would not stop teasing me as I tried on shirt after shirt and fussed with my hair. I hadn't been on a date in over seven years when I took Verona to her prom! I finally decided on a plain black, short sleeved shirt with smart blue jeans, Ben approved. Although he disapproved of the amount of cologne I slapped on, he said it would knock out an elephant! I was nervous and he made allowances for that as he was sprawled lazily over my bed. "She's hot you know! Jade's mum, and they do say if you want to see what your girl is going to be like in thirty years just look at the mother...well Jade's going to be gorgeous!" Ben winked and basked in my awkwardness.
"Yeah she's nice!" was all I could reply with the dry mouth and sweaty palms.
"NICE?" Ben chuckled and sat up, "She's a hot cougar Ry! And you're going to get some action tonight bro!" he stood up and slapped me hard on the back as I forced back the urge to vomit.
"I'll just be happy with some nice conversation and a good laugh thank you!" Ben tutted at me and smirked.
"You're so square, for a good looking bloke...you're such a geek!" he shook his head and left me alone with my nerves. I picked up Gail ten minutes early as I stood in the hall being eyed up by her twelve year old son Evan, Jade's nerdy and sullen brother.
"So you're Ryan!" he looked me up and down then stared eerily into my face. He had mousy brown hair down to his shoulders and thick glasses, a cross between a grungy teenager and a mad scientist.
"Yeah, and you're Evan!" I nodded with my hands jammed in my pockets, rocking back and forth on my heels.
"Your powers of observation are astounding!" cheeky little dweeb! Just as I was about to say something rather sarcastic back, my cougar appeared looking unbelievably beautiful and sexy. She smiled at me as she descended the stairs, then frowned when she saw Evan giving me a hard time. Her dress was rather short but she had the legs to pull it off, I was reminded of Verona's amazing pins then I shook my head to clear her out of there. Her red hair was swept back into a neat ponytail and her make-up was understated but enough to emphasise those radiant green eyes that she'd passed down to Jade.
"Is this one behaving himself?" she asked through gritted teeth.
"For now, but don't let him sit across from you at dinner, he looks like a feeler!" Evan sneered as Gail smacked him hard over the head and he grunted. His glasses fell on the floor and he cursed under his breath as he tried to retrieve them.
"Don't wait up!" she called back to him cheerily as we went out the front door.

We went to Baileys, a rather upmarket restaurant that I couldn't afford but dipped into my savings to push the boat out. She was impressed, it looked like I had a bob or two, boy was she in for a shock if we ever got serious. She wouldn't stop apologising for her son, I kept telling her it was fine but she was embarrassed by his behaviour. "He's...well he blames me for the divorce and...I haven't been with anyone else since Gerry and I split up!" That was a relief for me, at least we were in the same situation.
"Yeah I've...not been out on a date since I took my neighbour to her prom seven years ago!" I laughed softly as the shock on her face was unmistakable!
"But you're...you're so handsome!" she examined my face in detail as I blushed.
"I work a lot, Ben was my priority for so long..." she talked over me.
"Ryan, I do not believe you've been single all this time! What a waste!" she shook her head and took hold of my hand that was resting on the table.
"Like I said, my work keeps me rather busy so..." she squeezed my hand and sighed. Finally she spoke again.
"Let's skip dessert! Take me for a drive!"

We drove all over town, until we finally parked up at the pier where all the teenagers came to be alone. She turned to face me and smiled. "How did such a lovely guy like you go unnoticed in this town for so long?"
"I kept my head down and worked, for Ben!"
"I get the feeling you've been hurt, believe me I know the signs!" Did I really want to get into this? On our first date? If I did there was a distinct possibility it would be our last! "Talk to me, I won't bite!" she shoved me playfully and giggled.
"Okay, well the thing is I fell in love with this girl a long time ago and she used me. It's my fault, I let her, but now she's marrying another guy and she's still trying to wrap me round her little finger. So I told her I couldn't be her friend any more, it was hard to do but it was the right thing to do. So I'm moving on with my life." I looked at her to see if I could work out what she was thinking, but she just looked past me and out the window.
"Ryan, you certainly are a very deep man. Ben told me I was to go easy on you and Jade told Ben that you were to go easy on me, I think we could be good for each other. I've been trying to figure you out all night, and now I think I understand why you haven't tried to kiss me yet and I'm no longer insulted!" she leaned forward and kissed my lips softly, it tickled and my heart began to beat a little faster than usual. She let her lips linger over mine for a few seconds then let go and rested back into the passenger seat. She looked at me for a long time, and I looked back at her. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do, was I meant to kiss her back? Was I supposed to make some sort of move? I wasn't really that kind of guy, I wasn't the type to get intimate with a stranger I had to really love a girl to have any kind of contact with them in that way! So that kiss kinda floored me, confused me, made me want to react but I was numb. Finally she spoke, "Ryan?" there was a long pause and I responded nervously.
"Yes Gail?"
"Would you like to go out again some time?" I smiled, it took me by surprise, I liked her!
"I would love to!" she smiled back and took my hand.
"I think you're a lovely guy Ryan! And I would very much like to get to know you better!"

I got in at around two in the morning and crept upstairs quietly. As I passed Ben's door, which was ajar, he called out to me, "So? How did it go? You get devoured by the cougar???"
he laughed and appeared in the hall.
"No, I had a nice time and we're going out again!" I made my way into my own room and he followed me.
"You stink of perfume, you humped her didn't you?" he slapped me on the back again as I tried to unbutton my shirt.
"No I did not, don't be so vulgar!"
"Oh come on, a little knee trembler outside her door eh?"
"Ben go to bed, I need your help mowing the lawn tomorrow!" he turned his lip up at me and groaned.
"I had plans with Jade!"
"Tough!" I muttered and threw my shirt on the bed. "I need you, you can see Jade any time! I don't have a day off every day and this needs done!" he nodded and headed back to his room. He was grateful for everything I had done for him, he didn't usually whine or moan when i asked for help, but I guessed he'd fallen pretty hard for this girl he'd been merely exploring. I got him up at seven and we were out cutting the grass by eight. Verona came out in the skimpiest bikini she could find and lay out in her front garden. Both Ben and myself ignored her and continued with the task at hand. Later she came over to ask us if we wanted some homemade lemonade, we politely declined and headed out to the jungle we used to call the back garden. I could see the hurt on her face but it didn't bother me like it once did. Maybe I wasn't as in love with her, yes I was I was just kidding myself.
"Ry? Whatever I've done I'm sorry!" she called to me, "I miss you!" her voice cracked and she scurried back over to her own garden as Ben draped one arm around me, he was an inch or two taller than me.
"Well done bro! Cold turkey, it's the only way!"

My second date with Gail was to see a film, her choice of course, and it was even more enjoyable than the last one. We went for a nice walk along the beach discussing the film and other things that popped into our heads at that moment. She took hold of my hand as we walked, and I let her. "Okay, I want to ask you something!" she piped up and a knot formed in my stomach.
"Okay?" I tried to act cool.
"How old are you?" and the knot unraveled as I laughed softly and squeezed her hand gently.
"Oh, I'm thirty two, why?"
"Wow!" she gasped and let go of my hand, standing still in the sand.
"What?" and now the knot had reformed.
"I thought you were a little older, um...oh my!" she pressed two fingers to her lips and she went a little pale.
"Does it matter? I mean how old are you?" she looked down at the sand and clutched her stomach.
"I...I'm forty eight!" And now it was my turn to say wow! She looked amazing for that age! I truly thought she was forty!
"Well I...I am impressed! You're absolutely fantastic for forty eight, wow to you too!" I took hold of her hands and pulled her towards me. She was shaking, so I did what came naturally to me, I kissed her on the lips as her mouth opened slightly to say something. I could hear her mumbling as I covered up whatever it was she was trying to say. She wrapped her arms around my neck and stopped talking, as she kissed me back more passionately than I was expecting. We ended up booking a room at the local motel as she wasn't too keen on us going back to hers while Jade and Evan were there, and I wasn't comfortable with going to mine while Ben was there either. We kissed on the bed, fully clothed, for what felt like hours. I wasn't sure if we were ever going to go any further but that wasn't too big a deal to me, I doubted I was ready for anything more than kissing and some wandering hands. She looked up at me and put her hands on my face.
"You're so beautiful!" she whispered and I could see tears forming in her eyes. What was I doing???
"I...I'm not sure what to...what are we doing?" I felt being honest with her was the best way to go. She closed her eyes and the tears trickled down her rosy cheeks, but she was smiling.
"I would like you to make love to me, if you wouldn't mind?" My heart began to pound and my head felt dizzy.
"Okay, okay!" I nodded and kissed her forehead, I got up and headed for the door. "I have something I need to get first!" she sat up and looked puzzled for a moment, but then realising what I meant she smiled again.
"Don't be long?"

I crossed the car park towards the main road and rubbed my sweaty hands down my jeans. It had been years since I'd been with a woman, it had been years since I needed to buy condoms! I never really thought about it and now...as my head was going a mile a minute I was distracted by a familiar red jaguar parked a few cars up from my own. Nick was staying here? I looked over at the corner shop across the road and felt sick. There he was with his arm around a brunette, he had his tongue down her throat as they waited for the traffic lights to go red. I hid behind a van in the car park and watch them cross the road laughing and groping each other. They walked through the car park arm in arm as I discreetly followed them to a room just doors away from mine. They went inside and immediately began to undress as Nick approached the window and drew the curtains. That son of a b*tch was cheating on Verona!!! I got back to my own room without what I'd set off to get, but it didn't matter, Gail was fast asleep on the bed hugging my jacket. I took an extra duvet from the cupboard and covered her with it, kissed her on the cheek and lay down beside her. I had so much going on in my head, I didn't know what to do, finally I was moving on from Verona. Verona was engaged to someone else, someone else who was betraying her as I lay with Gail narrowly escaping an intimate encounter myself! What was I going to do? All I knew at that moment was I wished I could rewind the past half hour, take Gail home and never see what I had just seen, for it had put me in a heartbreaking situation...to tell or not to tell! And even if I did, would Verona ever believe me???

To Be Continued...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)