Friday 25 October 2019

The Smallwood Family Legacy Generation Two: A Sims 4 Story

Chapter Twenty Three: Being Thankful!


LANDON:

Jude was trouble, but he maintained a good example at school for his sister to follow and for that I was truly grateful to him. Despite being a scamp, he did his homework and took his schooling very seriously.

And Hazel watched both her brothers work hard and she followed them, thank God! My little Hazel nut was a cutie, she always had an inquisitive mind so when she refused my help on her first ever school project, I was proud to see her standing on her own two feet.

The scarecrow that Jessica put up to protect mum's garden was intriguing to her, she told me that she was sure she saw it move. I laughed and kissed her shaking my head as she scolded me for not believing in the mysteries of the world despite being a vampire.

She was so convinced that she would stand and stare at it for ages, just to prove she was right!

Hazel may have refused my help, but when her Gamma offered to assist her she just couldn't say no. All of my kids loved their grandmother and I couldn't ever imagine her not being around. Luckily being a vampire, she was going to be around for some time.

At least Chester wasn't too old or too smart to let his old dad help him out. I loved spending time with my kids, I loved just being around them no matter what we were doing. Unlike Jude, Chester humoured me, he allowed me to try and be the dad I always dreamed I could be...

...a dad like mine! The way the boys looked up to him like he was some kind of rock star or something, really made me feel envious. Would I ever be even half the man Caleb Vatore was?

Esme came for a visit looking sad. I wondered what was going on, but it seemed that the information was for my mother's ears only. I couldn't believe that Esme and Vlad were having problems, they were so in love. No it must have been something else! Something I wasn't going to ever find out about.

My kids continued to be studious, even Jude! Yeah for all of his pranks, he at least took school seriously.

Chester was a shining role model for him though, and since they were as thick as thieves it was obvious that if Chester studied hard but played just as hard, then Jude would do the same. I thought about my relationship with Raven, everything she did I copied. My two boys were no different.

Hazel had decided that she was going to be a rock star when she grew up, "Like Lzzy Hale!" She had announced. I just wanted her to enjoy her childhood and think about that when she was older.

Even though she was only a child, she listened to loud music with angry drum solos and screaming men. She told everyone her favourite colour was black and that she would be wearing a blood red dress on her wedding day like Lydia from Beetlejuice.

Her imagination was pretty out there, her brothers simply nodded and agreed with her, I think they were secretly a little scared of her.

Dad had a talk with her, he was always good at the talks. Plus the kids respected him, they just ridiculed me. He also had a way with getting them to do household chores but made them sound interesting and fun. "This sink is dirty, but if you clean it, maybe the genie will return!"
"The GENIE???" Hazel eyes lit up listening to his fairy tales.

Little Hazel nut lapped up the genie story and got to work on the mucky sink. How did dad do that?

Things were still strained between mum and dad. It hurt to watch! Monica was the only thing stopping them from bickering this morning. She wouldn't leave them alone and for once I was grateful for her being so clingy.

Dad's heart was breaking. He knew that if Vivaan Gupta hadn't died all those years ago that there was no way he and mum would ever have gotten together. 

And at this moment in time, he was wondering if mum had finally realised that he wasn't her true love. That her true love was lying under the ground behind the house. He always felt second best to his old friend, even after he and mum got married and had Abi and Esme. In his eyes mum just settled because she couldn't have the one she truly wanted, because the one she truly wanted was dead.

Chester wanted so badly for his grandparents to make up. As he watched his little sister that night, he racked his brain for an idea to get them talking again after Jude's plan had failed. We all knew that mum and dad were soulmates. How could we convince them?

Little by little, the kids all chipped away at them. Jude and Hazel talked to mum about how awesome a story teller their grandpa was, and how romantic he was too. They had no idea what they were talking about, but they persisted.

"Grandpa loves you Gamma!" Jude winked cheekily at her.
"Oh really?" She replied with a dry tone.
"Yes, and he says that his heart is empty right now. How do we fill it?" How indeed!

Jude gleefully let me in on his little scheme, how he was using guilt to make his Gamma realise how much she and his Grandpa loved each other. He was really pleased with himself because he thought he'd gotten through to mum.

Turns out he was right. She appeared out of nowhere and sat down behind me. "Hello!"
She mumbled sadly.
"Hey mum, Jude was telling me some interesting stories!" Jude and I gave each other knowing smiles.
"Yes?" God her voice sounded so sad!

"Yeah, he says dad is really missing you..." She talked over me,
"I miss him too!"
"Then tell him!" She shook her head roughly and disappeared. Gaaaah, what was it gonna take?

Then the other one appeared. "Hi!" He sighed mournfully.
"Hey dad! What's up?"
"Your mother hates me!" I didn't believe that for a second. So I told him that!

"You know dad, I don't believe that for a second! You and mum are the epitome of couple goals! You're both just..."
"She wants to move to Newcrest and I...well..." He looked away, out of the window, staring out into the trees.

"You wanna stay here!" I finished for him, he blinked away tears and nodded.
"This is my home Landon! For a long time this has been my home. But now it is yours, and I suppose your mother is right." I wasn't ready for my parents to move out, but was I just being selfish? Was that the natural order of things?

Monica had been eerily quiet these past few hours, and as the whole family gathered in the boys' room, she looked up from her tablet and surveyed the crowd. Hazel was still going on about buying a guitar and forming a band.

Everyone was talking at once, about everything and anything. Apart from mum and dad who were simply just there.

Dad took matters into his own hands and had it out with mum. "Beatrix, this ends now! I mean it this time!"
"Caleb Vatore do not raise your voice to me or I swear..."

"Beatrix Vatore, I will do as I God damn please as long as you continue to give me the silent treatment! Look, if you don't love me anymore or you've realised you never did, then let's just deal with it now!"
"Caleb! What do you mean? I've always loved you, I always will!"
"I know your first love was Vivaan, and you loved him more than you ever loved me..."
"How dare you! You are my soulmate, not Vivaan, yes it was a sweet love affair we had but he is dead Caleb! How could you even think such a thing?"

"Can you blame me Trixie? You've been so cold to me for so long! You're breaking my heart! I will move to Newcrest if that's what you want because honestly baby home is wherever you are, it's not bricks and mortar...it's you!"

"Oh Caleb do you really mean that?"

"I do, you mean everything to me Trixie! Everything! So if moving is the only way I get to keep you, then so be it!"

"So be it?" My mother's loving expression transformed into rage.
"Yeah, so be it!"
"Caleb Vatore you are insufferable!" She screamed and disappeared into a puff of black smoke.

"What the hell did I do now?" My dad sounded annoyed more than anything else as I entered the room, having heard the whole conversation from my archaeological station.

"I dunno dad, what can I tell ya? Women are..."
"She is not going to do this to me for one more second!" He seethed, and disappeared just like mum had seconds before.

"Caleb..."
"Trixie you are my wife and you will do as I say! We are moving to Newcrest and that is final!"
"Oh Caleb!" Yeah my parents were most definitely moving out this time. Not just yet, they had to go house hunting first and they promised they would stay for Halloween.

But Jess and I were losing them to the bright street lights of suburby Newcrest. Stacey and Sawyer were there, as were Vivvy and Alex and their whole brood. But as I watched Monica grill her mother, I wondered how we were going to cope without my parents.

And then I realised that our four children were our responsibility, mum and dad had no one to help with the five of us growing up, why should it be any different for me and Jess? Also, I had my soulmate, I was already livin' the dream!

Jessica's worries just spilled out of her mouth, quietly of course, as my mother was sitting behind us. She was also worried about coping with the kids on our own. I reassured her that we could do this, we were a team! We were so very much in love just like mum and dad, and we would be just as good at parenting as they were. She seemed happy after that, knowing that I was confident.

Only I wasn't, the truth was it was just a front for Jess. I was bricking it! I'd never lived without my parents before and it was scaring the shit outta me! I couldn't tell them that, it was selfish, and I had already stopped them leaving and living their dream!

Monica babbled away at me about how awesome shapes were, she took my mind off of my problems for a few moments. Okay so maybe she wasn't always annoying!

Scratch that, she was always annoying! Just when you thought she was in a quiet state of calm...she'd pull the rug from under you and literally give you the runaround! I hoped that her age-up into childhood would mellow her, but then I thought about her brother, Jude was always a cheeky little troublemaker! Maybe Monica would be different? Nah!

Morning came, as did the birds. Dad's bird feeder had become a huge hit and we were visited regularly.

All the kids were cramming their homework before the school bus, Jude had them up late watching that stupid cooking show with the crazy chef that liked to talk to his huge knife.

Mon Mon was torturing her mother this time, asking what kind of birthday cake she could bake her. Jess tried to explain that she was no baker, but Gamma was a mean cake creator. Man we were so gonna miss her!

Despite being a handful since birth, Jude was a handsome little fella. I worried for his teens, I remember the mood swings and the hormones, I was a teenage boy once and I knew how they thought and how they felt. I also knew that my big sister Raven had a hard time balancing her moods, and Jude had the same kind of cheeky personality as Rave, it worried me!

But that night as I watched him play with his older brother, my fears began to melt away. They were so close, they loved each other just like me and Raven, yeah things were gonna be okay!

Besides, Chester had his head screwed on right, he took after my father in so many ways...

...who was turning to the cocktail drinking again! Maybe it was stress over moving out, maybe it was work! Maybe it was a bit of both! All I knew was that I was gonna miss both of my parents when they moved out! I tried to pretend it wasn't happening but that was just stupid, I needed to accept it now so it didn't hurt so much when the day arrived.

Monica continued to torture Jess. I was just glad to be outta the way for once. I was working hard and making my way up to level 10 of the secret agent career and I was loving it so very much!

Another of my children who was becoming a cause for worry was Hazel nut. A few days into childhood and she was starting to become a little sullen. I wondered if it was all that thrash metal she listened to, or whatever it was but Chester told me that he could hear some cheesy boy band crap, his words, coming from her room.

The boys would spend hours outside together talking about what they wanted to be when they grew up. Something that was getting closer for Chester.

He would soon become a teenager, he wanted to be an astronaut like Aunt Raven. "She's so cool, she juggles being an alien assassin with raising 4 kids! She's awesome!" Yeah I didn't have the heart to tell him that Raven wasn't an assassin, let him have his little fantasies and enjoy his childhood.

Chester was definitely the epitome of a kind and loving big brother, all the kids looked up to him. Even Monica, yeah shock horror. I never had to worry about him or the others because he was always there. When Hazel needed a hug and a reassuring word, he was there. When she needed advice, he was there!

He and Hazel had a special bond though, they were always giving each other knowing looks and talking in hushed voices. I got the sense that Chester was Hazel's favourite, the way she looked at him like he was Superman, it was adorable!

She may have had respect for her older brother, but Mon Mon most definitely laughed in our faces. She thought her parents were hilarious and refused to do anything we asked. Jess was getting frustrated...

...while I hid and indulged in what I loved most (second to Jess and the kids of course), I stood by my trusty archaeology table.

And who should happen to stop by while I was researching one of my pieces? Chester, while he was checking out that ever talked about curfew board. "Daddy what are you doing?"
"I'm studying one of the many pieces I discovered when I went to Selvadorado..." I barely got to finish my sentence when I felt a gust of wind before me...

...Chester had raced towards me so fast that he had caused a slight breeze around my legs. "Selvadorado daddy? You've been there???"
"Yep, before I met your mother. I traveled there, it was a dream of mine when I was a teenager so your grandfather funded my trip and I went just after my birthday."
"Woooooooow!" Chester gasped.

"I can't believe you found THAT!" He exclaimed, pointing at the artifact on the table.
"Yeah, finally got round to analysing it."
"That's just amazeballs, can I have a look at it? Is Selvadorado just like it is in that documentary mum and I watched? Did you see any snakes? Was it hot?"

"Whoa slow down with the questions!" I chuckled as his little cheeks were glowing and his eyes sparkled with excitement.
"What's it really like daddy? Is it as magical as they say?"
"Come on kid, there's something I've wanted to show you since you were born."

I watched him, wide eyed, staring at the counter tops that I had arranged when he was a baby specifically for showing him my treasures. He stood there for a long time, just gazing at them, my heart was beating so fast, I was excited for him.

"Daddy, are these all yours?" 
"Yes, I gathered them all on my trip. I almost died out there, your Aunt Tabatha saved me. I got shot in the neck with a poisoned dart in a tomb and if it hadn't been for Tabs getting me the antidote, I'd be no more and you would never have been born!"

"Oh my gosh daddy you are so uber cool!" He cried and opened his arms for a hug.
"I am?" I looked at my son in shock, granddad was always the cool one, but now...

"Aww Chester, you really think your old man is cool?"
"Yes, daddy why do you wear suits to work? Do you work in a jungle? Do you fly to Selvadorado every day?"
"No Ches, I'm..." Should I tell him? That I was a secret agent?

"Daddy are you like Indiana Jones? I bet you're not scared of snakes!" This feeling of being looked up to, was this what it was like to be Caleb Vatore?
"No I don't Ches but if I tell you what I really do it has to be between you and me, understand? You can't tell anyone, not your brother or sisters!"
"I can keep secrets!" Well we'd talk about that later.
"I'm a secret agent Ches..."

"OH MY PLUMBOB!" He screeched, "You're like James Bond? So you're Indiana Bond? James Jones? You are like a movie star!" I was loving this, I was loving being my dad.
"Well, I like to study my artifacts in my spare time, but my main job is like James Bond yes."
"Woooooooow!" Chester whispered again.

And then he repeated the words I had always wanted to hear from him, "You are sooooooo cool daddy!" Jude already said it, but to hear it from Chester twice...was amazing!

Jude had sat down to watch that weird cooking show, waiting for his brother who was basking in the coolness of me, when he got an unpleasant surprise. "MUUUUUUM! MONICA HAS BEEN PLAYING WITH THE REMOTE AGAIN!!!" Yes, Jude and Chester always had it set on the right channel but their little sister and her troublesome chubby digits had other ideas today.

Jess had told the kids that she thought the scarecrow was alive. Of course that freaked out Monica, went over Chester and Jude's heads...

...but had Hazel mesmerised!

She stood and watched it for a good few minutes but nothing happened.

So she engaged in a little small talk...

...and lo and behold it talked back. Never mind moving, this scarecrow talked! Well according to Hazel nut and her wild imagination. But if she believed it then who was I to argue?

Chester had lost interest in Ratty so it was now up to me to make sure that he was fed and his cage was cleaned out now and again. I was going to have words with Ches over this!

Buzz came out to say hi, but he was his usual lazy self and fell asleep in the middle of the road. Good job he couldn't be killed huh?

Mum continued to care for her garden, she had Jess under strict instructions to continue when she was in Newcrest. Again I didn't wanna think about it, I was still hoping they would change their minds.

Leah passed by this morning, I think I had a lucky escape because she had not aged well. I wondered how Sawyer was getting on with her lately and if she was a good mother to their son. Sawyer barely spoke to Jess any more and I knew how much that hurt her, I also knew that Leah was most likely the reason for that.

Mon Mon the tearaway was at it again, she could cause trouble in an empty house that girl! I wondered if it would be better or worse when she aged up...

...but whatever happened, I couldn't stay mad at that adorable little face for long!

The kids were promised that if they did their homework they could go through and watch some television. So as predicted, they got down to it and hurriedly scribbled away.

Chester was first to finish and as he sat down with Jess to watch the cooking knife show or whatever, she looked apologetically at him and said, "I'm sorry Chessy, Monica has hid the remote and I can't change the channel!"
"She what now?"

Chester was not amused, he hunted high and low for the remote and couldn't find it as his siblings came rushing through, fighting each other over who got to sit where. "Guys? No show tonight, Monica stole the remote!" Chester huffed.

Jess grinned wickedly, she knew exactly where it was, she just hated that show they all watched. Eventually she would confess and let them have their fun, but for now she was having hers.

Jude resorted to playing good cop with Monica to find out where the remote was. "But Judey I has no ideas!"
"Are you lying to me Mon Mon? Your loving big brother?"
"Noes I did not do its!"

And as they all played detective trying to find out what had happened to the remote for the T.V., it miraculously changed channel (yeah right). "YAY!" declared Hazel, as they all got comfortable and sat down to watch that dreadful show.

"Felipe is so going down!" Jude giggled.
"Yeah his puny knife is no match for Grande Fetta!" Chester agreed.
"You guys are such boys!" Hazel shook her head and sighed.

"OMG we are boys Hazel!" Jude looked to Chester for back up.
"Yeah Hazel what kind of insult is that?" Hazel simply smiled and replied,
"It's because you're boys you'll never understand what an insult that is. And by the way, your stupid show needs a girl chef to even things out, these guys are stupid!"

"Did she just..." Jude mumbled.
"Yup!" Chester and Jude gave their sister dirty looks as she continued to watch the show unfazed.

It was Jude's turn to have his brain totally rattled by little Monica. She was asking him all sorts of questions about what it was like to be a child. Was it different from being a toddler, did the adults take you more seriously, could you wreck stuff and not get yelled at. Jude was exhausted and simply mumbled, "It's gonna be fine Mon Mon!" and left it at that. He was never so relieved to see his granddad...

...albeit in his underwear. "Judey why is grandpa in his pants?"
"I don't know, but I'm sure he will tell you. Hey grandpa why are you in your pants? Mon wants to know!"

"I couldn't sleep so I thought I would obliterate my ancient brain with your excruciating television!"
"You see Mon, grandpa hates the telly, he thinks it makes you dumb!"
"Grandpa is so smart!"
"Thank you Monica, you're smart too!"

Jude looked at his sister with disappointment, she had turned on him in favour of their grandfather. "Traitor!"
"This is absolute torture!" Dad could stand it no longer, he really was trying to like television, but it just wasn't happening.

Chester was trying to spend as much time as he could with his Gamma before she would eventually leave us. But she had made a promise, she wasn't leaving until after we celebrated Halloween. She kept that promise, she made a huge effort too!

Mum had decorated for Halloween, it made me a mixture of sad and happy. Sad that her move was fast approaching, and happy because I could enjoy this with the kids.

Autumn was a fun time, we gathered in the garden for a family get together. The kids had just returned home from school and were more than happy to postpone their homework, even though it meant having to talk to "us olds" as Jude so eloquently put it!

We all sang together, and talked about what we were thankful for at this time of year. The kids joined in and seemed to be having a good time. It made me even more sad, dad had put in an offer for a house in Newcrest that mum had fallen in love with, and if that offer was accepted then I was losing my parents soon. I just drank up as much of this family time as I could, I didn't wanna think about it!

The kids all made offerings to the magic gnomes and sang to them. Most of them were pleased with what they had to offer...

...except Hazel nut wasn't as lucky as her brothers and felt the wrath of the gnomes with an electric shock!

She was okay though, a little shaken but still in one piece. Jude found it highly entertaining, as he would!

"You're so funny Haze!"
"Thanks, I'm glad my fried body makes you laugh!" Jude chuckled and patted his sister on the back.
"I love you!" Yeah he could be sweet, and there was no doubt he loved all of his siblings and would probably lay his life on the line for them.

He was just a red blooded pre-teen boy! I had to keep thinking that! He would grow out of this eventually, he was a good kid! Jess was also worried about him and any time I brought the subject of his behaviour up, she changed the subject and pretended things were hunky dory! That was her way of coping!

Mum started her grand feast and dad and I set the table. Family time was great, it should have made me happy and whole, but instead it made me sad and empty. Why did my parents have to move out? I was secretly hoping the offer would fall through and that there was no other home that could compare so they would stay here, but that was selfish! I should have been happy for them but instead I was miserable!

As we sat down to eat, Mon Mon spotted the gnomes! Fresh victims for her interrogative little mind.

We went round everyone and repeated all that we were thankful for. Chester was thankful for television and comfy seats. Jude was thankful for postponing his homework. Hazel was thankful for the food and company of family. Jess was thankful for having me and the kids...

...and Dad made a speech, as always! "I, Caleb Vatore, am thankful for Beatrix Smallwood coming into my life. Although she loved another, and although he was my best friend and it took his passing to bring us together...I believe it was fate! I believe that we all have a soulmate that fits us completely, we just have to find them. I found mine! Trixie I love you my darling, and I thank you for the children and grandchildren that have been born out of our love!" Yeah he had a way with words my dad.

Mum was so touched that she busied herself in the kitchen sniffling away and letting out the odd "Oh Caleb!" as she baked not one, but two cakes for two birthdays.

Chester was becoming a teenager, I had no worries about this one, he had my dad's sense and my cheery nature.

And my shadow, the bane of my life, was becoming a child. Monica was so mesmerised by her candles that it took me an age to get her to blow them out.

Yeah, my handsome first born was gonna be just fine!

And my shadow? Bane of my life? Well she was following in her mama's arty footsteps, which made me all kinds of happy!

I couldn't get over how handsome my boy was! Jess said he was his dad's double, but he was way better looking than me!

I imagined Monica to be the child clone of Jess. She was so cute! She changed when she aged up, she became so independent and no longer followed me around. I was surprised to feel sad about that, after all my moaning huh?

Chester was studious, smart and playful when he wanted to be. "I see you watching me Hazel and if you don't do your own homework I vill suck your bluuuuuuud!"
"Yeah right!" Hazel chuckled, he was a son to be proud of. Responsible, good with his siblings...

...Chester Smallwood had his grandfather's heart, and I was so relieved that he was taking his teens in his stride. No signs of mood swings just yet. Monica and Hazel nut adored him, and he adored them. His relationship with Jude was still solid and I hoped that Chester would be a good role model for his younger brother.

Dad carried on the portrait tradition and made me promise that when he and mum moved out I would take over. I wondered what I was gonna do with their coffins once they left, or were they gonna take them? All these weird thoughts went through my head all the time, I just didn't want them to go!

But as I looked at Jess, who was happy, I remembered that I had a family to take care of and that my parents had done their bit. It was time to stop being selfish and be happy for them like Jess was. "You got this Landy!" She soothed me, yeah I got this!

To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)